7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2011 1:14 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

RFIDs are coming

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This article tells us that the new (not really new but new to hotels) RFID technology is coming to some hotels, and will change the way in which stays occur, from turning on the lights in a room to setting a temperature.  RFID is clone able so there is a chance that the information can be inadvertently shared (or not) with others whose intents are not so wholesome.

Thoughts or concerns among all the Insiders on this?

• Re: RFIDs are coming
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I guess my question is what will the RFID be embeded into?  What data will it contain?

if its in the room key and it simply contains my preference for room temp, tv channel, lights on, etc  then I gues that would be fine...I mean you'd have to be pretty lonely to want to scan that info LOL

If they were going to put my MR number, profile information, etc on one then thats a pretty bad move.  I started typing that using it in MR cards to check in might work but then again that actually could open worse issues if compromised....so yeah I cant really see the bonus in it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Not specified in the article but chip cards, like the government's CAC card, contain everything!  So it remains to be seen, I guess.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kahunapremier Platinum

Even though EVERYTHING can be on a device doesn't mean you can get to it, what that would entail and based on same technology I worked with on a federal level, it was "provisioned" via Identity Managment to authenticate you to gan access to other sections of the device. Even then, you couldn't "write" per se, so more granular access could be given, based on you and your profile.

From that standpoint, that technology has been around for over a decade. What it is now coming to and you will see this within the next five years, is to mobile devices from smartphones to tablets.

Look forward to that day when a Hotel rep greats you with a tablet and you manage your room.

RFID Cloning is a major source of income for many with evil intent as this article shows

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

KahunaPremier

I agree with you. RFID has been around for more than a decade now , and although there was much concern when WalMart first brought the technology to the masses, there has been little or no backlash in recent years.  There will always be bad guys looking to make a buck on a new idea, the good guys just need to stay a step ahead. In addition, it will be up to the companies using the technology to police what information they put out there for all to see.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with you Shoeman, the data that they put out there is the key rather than the overall technology.  There are ways to "deploy" the technology that are more protected than others but given the latest round of security issues (email accounts @ Epsilon) I wonder just where this could wind up.  Imagine if one place such as Epsilon were the ones controlling all the RFID data and someone managed to hack that encryption.  Every device out there would be at risk until it could be updated.  If all it had was basic room configuration setup big deal but if it has even one piece of personally identifiable information on it, thats a whole other issue.

As for the technology its definitely something that can be secured.  For example, the CAC cards are definitely secure but then again you ever seen a soldier or CAC card holder give it to anyone that wasnt absolutely required to see it (and usually carrying a gun or 3 LOL).  First level of security comes with the holder, I dont know about you but if they embed data into my room key, I loose those things about as much as I keep them

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hahaha.  I joking reply "17" when asked "how many keys will you be needing"?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...