7 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2011 3:39 PM by jreyes1266 RSS

Florida Keys

mssippy Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Traveling to the Keys in a couple of weeks--it's our 1st trip.  Any suggestions?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Key West, Florida, USA
Marathon, Florida, USA
Florida, USA
  • Re: Florida Keys
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

MSsippy,

You are going to one of my all time favorite places!

I figure you are driving and are in for a real treat if you do!  First of all, take your time and watch your speed.  The road can be crowded and you want to enjoy the sights along the way.

There is really a lot to do in Key West and I would recommend the following:

Jimmy Buffets, great value and unique place on Duvall street.

Sloppy Joe's and Hog's Breath Inn, across from each other on Duval street.

Mallory Square at sunset!  It's wild but wonderful.

All the Marriott properties are very nice and good values.  Consider using their transportation, as parking can be a problem.

Have a great time!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Even though it's been years, I agree with everything Jerry said.  I went snorkeling in Key Largo and took a glass bottom boat, but spent most of the time camping (yes, me -- it was long ago and far away) near the ?7 Mile Bridge?  But along with an ex I spent tons of time in Key West.  It is absolutely fantastic.  You have to watch the sunsets above all, but then there is Hemingway's estate, etc.

Enjoy!

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

If you drive from the mainland be prepared for a few spots of dreary smack dab on the road tourist sites, crammed together in an ugly fashion, but then as you head further south you'll magnificent vistas of azure blue waters and wonderful coral reefs starting at or near Marathon Key.  Patience is required if there are RVs on the road, but slow and easy is the best way to get to Key West.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

The new Key West Marriott is very nice but a little out of town.

Ditto for what everyone else has said about the place.

southernmom Platinum 4 Reviews

Just got back from the Keys Sunday night.  If you have a chance, visit the Marathon airport and go for a ride in the biplane.  It was a once in a lifetime ride!  have fun!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

As a pilot and owner of an aircraft, I fly down to Marathon often for lunch. The ride down there along Miami Beach and the upper keys is great.

I imagine a ride in a biplane with an open cockpit would be even better.

jreyes1266 Platinum 4 Reviews

MSippy,

Dont stay at the Fairfield Inn Key West if at all possible.  The rooms were small, poor internet, linen was filthy, and the food court area smelled horribly from the adjacent parking lots dumpsters.

JR

Spend the xtra and get a suite from the courtyard or 400ish for the town place Marriott on the water.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...