8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2011 12:14 AM by techie RSS

Epsilon - Just how many companies have they impacted

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Seems Epsilon is the marketing vendor for a ton of different groups.  Just how much of our information was actually leaked?    Has anyone noticed any increase in spam or random contacts yet?  Are we sure it was limited to email addresses?  I dont know about anyone else but I have 7 different emails all saying about the same thing from 7 different companies...makes me a little worried about what could actually have been accessed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Epsilon - Just how many companies have they impacted
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

So far, I have received the same message from two companies - Marriott and Chase, who handles the Marriott credit card. Frankly, I have the same concerns as to how much information was obtained. I'd be interested to know how many other Insiders have had multiple e-mails.

nhtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

At the moment Epsilon seems to be in damage control mode--one report in Secure Computing says they have over 50 clients.  Ironic that a massive funnel like Epsilon coul go unnoticed (except to hackers) for this long, but it points to the dangers in using vendors to do your marketing on the Internet.

Thus far I have gotten two emails, one from Marriott and one from Chase about the breach.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I've received at least seven or eight e-mails from legitimate companies that have been compromised in the last 48 hours. Though it might just be my imagination, I do believe the number of junk e-mails I'm receiving has increased by 10-15% but when I already get dozens every day it's hard to tell much of a difference. Thank goodness I have good anti-spam software using Outlook.

A great article describing the impact was posted on CNET which also lists several companies known to have been compromised (those in red have sent me e-mails, too):

Target, Kroger, TiVo, US Bank, JPMorgan Chase, Capital One, Citi, Home Shopping Network, Ameriprise Financial, LL Bean Visa Card, McKinsey & Company, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, Marriott Rewards, New York & Company, Brookstone, Walgreens, The College Board, Disney Destinations, and Best Buy.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20050555-260.html#ixzz1IeVZUL2o

Per their advice to guard against phising: Look at the e-mail address--if it's purportedly from one of the companies above but ends in something other than .com, especially an international domain like .uk, that's a good indication it's a scam.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

• Kroger

• TiVo

• US Bank

• JPMorgan Chase

• Capital One

• Citi

• Home Shopping Network (HSN) (added 4/3 @10:22am)

• Ameriprise Financial

• LL Bean Visa Card

• Lacoste

• AbeBooks

• Hilton Honors Program

• Dillons

• Fred Meyer

• Beachbody (Makers of TRX)

• TD Ameritrade

• Ethan Allen

• Eileen Fisher

• McKinsey & Company

• Ritz-Carlton Rewards

• Marriott Rewards

• New York & Company

• Brookstone

• Walgreens (Again!)

• The College Board (added 4/3 @8:20am)

• Disney Destinations

• Best Buy

• Robert Half

• Target

• QFC

• bebe Stores

• Ralphs

• Fry's

• 1-800-Flowers

• Red Roof Inn

• King Soopers

• Kroger

• TiVo

• US Bank

• JPMorgan Chase

• Capital One

• Citi

• Home Shopping Network (HSN) (added 4/3 @10:22am)

• Ameriprise Financial

• LL Bean Visa Card

• Lacoste

• AbeBooks

• Hilton Honors Program

• Dillons

• Fred Meyer

• Beachbody (Makers of TRX)

• TD Ameritrade

• Ethan Allen

• Eileen Fisher

• McKinsey & Company

• Ritz-Carlton Rewards

• Marriott Rewards

• New York & Company

• Brookstone

• Walgreens (Again!)

• The College Board (added 4/3 @8:20am)

• Disney Destinations

• Best Buy

• Robert Half

• Target

• QFC

• bebe Stores

• Ralphs

• Fry's

• 1-800-Flowers

• Red Roof Inn

• King Soopers

A  more complete list of Epsilon customers is here.

Thanks for the list. This helps.

nhtraveler

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

That's one heckuva list. They appear to be very successful at what they do.

Like I said in a previous post here, these companies hold all the cards while we, their customers, get left holding the bag. They say every step of the way that "the protection of you private information is paramount to us". If it was their top priority, this wouldn't have happened.

Also, these companies make money off of our information when they sell it, yet we get no compensation at all. As a matter of fact, we have to beg to opt out of their use of our information.

This sure is a corporate world.

MikiegFLA - I couldn't have said it better myself!

nhtraveler

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Actually, all of these companies hired Epsilon, and Epsilon let them down.

I'm sure it is more trouble for Marriott and the other companies than it is for us.

I will continue to be loyal and not hold it against Marriott or any of the other suppliers.  The fact that so many companies use Epsilon pretty much makes it an industry standard.  However, I trust that behind the scenes, there are efforts to capture the person or people who did this, and for Epsilon to tighten up their security.

We, as people who use electronic mediums, should well know better than to click on spams and scams.

I don't believe this was within Marriott's control, they let us know what happened and I expect it will be dealt with, give them the chance and cut them some slack.  I am sure they are very very upset about the whole thing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...