11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2011 1:30 PM by mikiegfla RSS

Important Notice from Marriott International, Inc.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Dear Marriott Customer,

We were recently notified by Epsilon, a marketing vendor used by Marriott International, Inc. to manage customer emails, that an unauthorized third party gained access to a number of Epsilon's accounts including Marriott's email list.

In all likelihood, this will not impact you. However, we recommend that you continue to be on the alert for spam emails requesting personal or sensitive information. Please understand and be assured that Marriott does not send emails requesting customers to verify personal information.

We take your privacy very seriously. Marriott has a long-standing commitment to protecting the privacy of the personal information that our guests entrust to us. We regret this has taken place and apologize for any inconvenience.

Please visit our
FAQ
to learn more.

Sincerely,

Marriott International, Inc.

• Re: Important Notice from Marriott International, Inc.
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks for this notice, which is virtually a duplicate I got from a Credit Card vendor today as well.  Forewarned is always better.

As a 2009 victim of Marriott Rewards account number identity theft, I can attest to the value in having the Marriott call center place a four digit password, in addition to the sign in password on Marriott.com, on your account for phone inquiries.

This added layer of protection can save a Marriott Rewards member a lot of time and aggravation when they call in, as I have in the recent past.  Your account is locked when you call until you can provide that four digit password.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Thank you for the heads-up on the four digit code. I will call Marriott and do that.

nhtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

SS -- I agree the 4 digit code is a great, just wonder why Marriott doesn't publicize this feature?

NU, as a vet of the intelligence and counterintelligence world I am more than just a little paranoid.  Iwould change the combinations on my safe twice as frequently as the CO required.  I ven tried the hair on the door jamb thing after seeing a Bond movie--it didn't work.

When my account was compromised I was alerted by a Southern CA hotel manager, who called me to ask several questions. I was eventually asked by the folks at the Platinum Desk in Salt Lake City to send them a notarized letter detailing what had happened and my lack of culpability in this matter (since someone was cashing checks at Marriotts in that time frame before I discovered the problem).

At that poiint Marriott suggested the 4 digit password.  Gllad that I have iot since they have never let me into the accoubt without telling them that one.

Highly recommended for use on the phone and maybe in the future, on the web?

"hair on the door jamb thing after seeing a Bond movie--it didn't work."

It worked for Agent 86.

NU

I own the actual James Bond watch just not the hair, I guess.  Anyway other things work better than human hair for these intervention detections.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I like the Shoe Phone best....although I have trouble getting the heel back in place....

My particular SRX-28C Shoe phone (see below) works best when you're sole searching or down at heel -- but that's another story, laced with tension and fantastic pumps of energy.

Stepping Stones...please tell me you don't wear that shoe!

It does not match my eyes, so no, I do not

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Amazing how one-sided this whole affair is. Your favorite companies sell your information to Epsilon and tell use that "security is paramount to us" yet we have absolutely no rights.

Not only can't we seek compensation of any type, we have to jump through hoops to opt out of their selling our information.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...