2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 11:04 PM by nycuws10025 RSS

Absurd Rule on First Name Change

lambwa Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I just cancelled a Marriott stay and booked a Hampton Inn because Marriott Rewards stopped crediting my stays since my first name is different than what the clerk mistakenly typed in when she signed me up four years ago and they won't change it without my faxing or mailing them my drivers license.  I've ignored that a so-called loyalty program couldn't be bothered to get my name right, but refusing to credit my points was the last straw.

I show my driver's license every single time I check in, but that isn't good enough to prove I am who I say I am.  They are still convinced that I'm trying to hijack the account of someone who is the product of one of their clerk's bad data entry skills.  They even e-mail me at my address using my real name to remind me of reservations that they then claim or for someone else.

What really took the cake is to read that despite all of this supposed interest in security, all of our data was recently compromised via a third party.

They win.  I won't book any more stays with them, but maybe my alter ego will.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Absurd Rule on First Name Change
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I can sympathize with you but reading the post from Marriott about name and identity theft (also on the forums) makes me see the rationale for name changes being disallowed.

As you know the great computer overlords have decreed that certain key elements of the data they maintain can only be changed with positive identification from the account holder,  and this is one thing (names) they always insist on keeping sacrosanct.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Absurd Rule on First Name Change
    nycuws10025 Platinum

I understand your frustration.  At the same time as I read your post, I am confused or wonder if there is more to the story?

Seeing your Silver Elite status, clearly SOME of your stays are being credited and as recently as the ones you made last year.  So I'm curious as to what is different about the ones you DID get credit for versus the ones you didn't?

The Marriott reservations computer system and the Marriott Rewards computer system are two different entitities.  It is quite possible for your profile in Marriott.com to have your correct name, but after you complete your stays, when the hotel transfers the stay information to Marriott Rewards (which apparently has your name wrong,) that second computer sees the name mis-match and doesn't award the credit.

Airline Frequent Flyer programs work exactly the same way.  Back in the day (pre 9/11) "William" could book his flights as "Bill" which was the name in his Frequent Flyer account and the name he had put on his tickets, simply because that was the name by which he called himself.  Back in those days, nobody checked ID.

But after 9/11, the government-issued ID had to match the name on the ticket so there were a lot of name mismatches if the Frequent Flyer name was "Bill" and the ID and ticket name were "William".  The airlines changed a LOT of first names on Frequent Flyer programs as the new ID rules were issued by the TSA.  All of these first name changes in the airline Frequent Flyer programs required appropriate ID as substantiation for the change being requested.   That's what Marriott is asking you to do.

I certainly don't think Marriott thinks they have "won" to lose a customer over something like this - I know I certainly don't.  But one thing is obvious, YOU are losing the benefit of your acquired Silver Elite status.

Marriott has the right to protect the integrity of their loyalty program.  According to your email, they've even advised you to fax a copy of your ID to them so they can correct your name in the Marriott Rewards program computer.  Nowhere in your email do I read that they outright refused to make such a change - which would be a very different situation.

Yes, a mistake was apparently made when your name was entered initially several years ago.  Mistakes happen every day and in every business.  As I read your post, Marriott seems willing to correct their mistake if you provide the documentation needed to allow them to protect the integrity of their program.

But I infer from what you have written that you are somehow unwilling to fax them what they requested so they have the documentation needed to correct your account. What is the obstacle to your providing Marriott what they need so they can correct this?  Is there some principle here that you feel bound to stand by?

That's the part I don't understand.

Why not just send them the information they have requested to allow them to make the correction and allow you keep the benefits of a Marriott Silver Elite you have earned?  Why would you want to walk away from the Marriott benefits you've accumulated so far to start over with another company and loyalty program?

If you don't want to fax it, scan it and send it by email to customer.care@marriott.com

Once the correction has been made, you can then ask for retroactive credit for the missing stays which I'll bet will be quickly added to your account.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...