10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2011 10:18 PM by anadyr RSS

Reservations / HORRIBLE customer service

longdonair Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Anybody else notice that if you get a rude agent and ask for a supervisor all they have to do to avoid any diciplinary action is hang up on you???

Yup, unless you actually make a reservation the call info is lost and cannot be brought up again to track the culprit.

This is an ongoing issue I've experienced.  Anyone else???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reservations / HORRIBLE customer service
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I always jot down the agent's name at the beginning of the call. That way, I have something/someone to reference if I get disconnected.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nycuws10025 Platinum

Get a booking made - ANY booking.  Then call back and ask for a supervisor on the second call.  Tell them all the gory details of your first call and that you were able to get a booking made (assuming you're able to do that)  They can figure out who made the "unneeded" booking from the reservation history,  and cancel that suite you don't really need at the same time:

"Hey, we got off on a bad start in this call.  I'm sorry if I upset you.  I need one more booking - can you confirm me in a suite at the such-and-such hotel on the night of 15APR?"

Note the "I'm sorry" part.   That's important.  In most cases, if the rude agent thinks YOU'RE apologizing to THEM, they're more likely to make that unneeded booking for you and think they've "won".   And I promise, it won't kill you to say that.  If you swallow your pride, it won't make you gain any weight at all! 

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Interesting.  I have had this exact thing happen, but never with Marriott.  It happens to me all the time with my bank (Bvva Compass).

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The customer always defines quality and in this case the company has failed to meet anyone's standards.   Failing to allow you to talk with a supervisor is unacceptable.

While many companies have doubled or tripled their efforts to see that customers are satisfied, this appears to be a setback and I hope it is an isolated one.

When you can please post any follow u on this.

ss

i cannot think of a single experience where the company has doubled or re-doubled their efforts in availability of customer service reps.  In fact, my experience has been quite the opposite in this recession.  do you have any examples where you have experienced a marked improvement on this area?

What have others experienced in this regard?  Let's hear your stories.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

longdonair,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent customer service experience.  I can confidently say that most of our reps work very hard and take pride in what they do. It is very disappointing when this type of non-servicing takes place.  Non-servicing behavior is something we take very seriously at all of our contact centers.  This is one of the reasons all of our representatives calls are monitored on a regular basis.

When you encounter any type of poor customer service we invite you to contact us as soon as you are able.  Some great suggestions have already been posted, like writing down the representative's name at the beginning of the call.  Entering your Marriott Rewards account number when prompted by the automated system before you actually speak to a representative will also help us determine who you spoke with if there is a customer service failure.  When your account number is transferred to the agent's computer an auto comment documenting the contact is created.  If you entered your account number we can generally see when you last contacted us and who received your call.

We are sorry for your unfortunate experience, and truly appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Laura

Shoeman, I agree with you.  Customer service has become customer no-service.  But, I don't think the "recession" has/had anything to do with it.  It's been a long time coming.  I contend it's all about work ethic.

"Entering your Marriott Rewards account number when prompted by the automated system before you actually speak to a representative will also help us determine who you spoke with if there is a customer service failure.  When your account number is transferred to the agent's computer an auto comment documenting the contact is created.  If you entered your account number we can generally see when you last contacted us and who received your call."

Very good information to know.  Thanks, Laura.

NUHUSKER

well said.  however, I do believe that given the right training, most people want to do a good job.  In fact, I also believe that much of the problem is the middle management that trains the service people.  THEY are the ones that oftentimes do not take pride in what they do and it trickles down to the next level.  Deep down, I just do not want to believe that NO ONE cares......

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

SM1000

Comcast has been the exemplar of making it happen in terms of customer service, as has one car brand (Mercedes).  Granted Mercedes was never that lax but Comcast was in the past.

I attribute Comcast's renewal to the competiton from FIOS and AT&T.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...