7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2011 10:43 AM by pingreeman RSS

Cancun Casa Magna Rocks - Premium Customer Service

dejamo Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hotel grounds - Immaculate

Service Staff - Exemplary

Rooms - Beautiful and breezy if desired

Just returned from 3/13 - 3/20 stay at this magnificent resort.  Used Rewards Points and all-inclusive program .  (Hint - if at all possible, use the all inclusive program if you can), saved us $3000 for our family (2 adults, 1 tweener and a 15 y/o who loves expensive steaks).

As a Marriott Platinum Premier member - I expected an upgrade (received), and did not expect to be charged for a roll away bed ($20 p/n). (1 large tweener and a large 15 y/o do not sleep well together on a pull out twin couch).  I had also been corresponding via email with hotel concierge staff for 3 months to assist me in making this trip (spring break for kids, anniversary for us) special. Nothing apparently was noted locally, no bottle of wine, fruit basket etc.....those items, the roll away and a few minor customer service issues that I did not expect, led me to request a meeting with the General Manager on our 2d day there.  Although the General Manager was not available, a meeting was arranged for the following morning between myself and the Director of Room Operations, Sr. N.

I do not know where Marriott acquired Mr. N. from,  but they need to clone him and his assistant (Mr. F.), and allow them to show the entire Marriott team how to treat customers and provide service that goes above what is expected.

After hearing my concerns, Mr. N. and Mr. F. immediately erased the rollaway charge,  upgraded my room to one that no longer required a rollaway for my boys,  provided an "extremely nice touch" to my wife for our anniversary,  sent a fruit arrangement to our new room,  and from that moment on, our entire family had no wants, needs, or concerns for the rest of our stay.  More to the point,  and without going into great detail, Mr. N. and Mr. F. went well beyond what anyone could have expected, regardless of their loyalty program status.

That one meeting between myself and the staff,  turned a relatively "ok"  vacation with a few inconveniences and unexpected issues, to an extremely relaxing, care free vacation, one where our expectations were left in the dust,  and exceeded beyond belief.  It also changed a negative review to Marriott Corporate Senior Staff,  Marriott Insiders, and every vacation review posting I belong to,  into the most positive experience I have ever written about. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cancun, Mexico
  • Re: Cancun Casa Magna Rocks - Premium Customer Service
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Great post. This shows the power of asking and suggesting when things go awry.  Thanks for sharing

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasmin Silver

Did you like the CasaMagna over the JW?  Were you able to use the JW pools?  Thanks.

dejamo Platinum

We could of used the JW pools if desired,  but saw no need.  Even though the surf was a little rough at the CM all week,  the beach was gorgeous, the CM Pool and hot tub were fine. And the drinks were plentiful !

Even though it was spring break, there were probably 20-30 spring breakers there during the week that we saw.  Not many at all.  Most are staying closer to the city nightlife towards the north hotels at the top of the strip.

Of course I am sure that the hotel that MTV was filming at was pack  (a few hotels away).  They were filming MTV spring break while we were there.

atg0524 Platinum 3 Reviews

Planning a trip there in August. 

Did you receive any charges for Taxes, Services Charges, etc?  It's pretty unclear on the website for the all-inclusive package. 

Also, did you rent a car or take a shuttle.  If a shuttle, did you arrange that with the hotel prior to arrival? 

With platinum status, what type of upgrade did you get?

Thanks!

dejamo Platinum

atg,

My wife, myself and my 2 boys left the location after a week, about 50lbs heavier.  And as the saying goes,  "The liver is evil and must be punished"!  The service was great, and there were no extra charges of any kind.

We did arrange for airport transportation to/from ahead of time with the hotel. I believe it was 14 dollars pp each way.

As a PP, they automatically upgraded me to a "Carribean Suite",  but I would have liked more than 1 king bed and a pullout couch (hence my request for a rollaway-at $20 per nite).  In retrospect (before I had the problems  I mentioned in my previous post), I should have been more insitent on them comping the rollaway.   If I were you,     I would give it a shot if needed.

I went to the front desk and got a copy of my bill the night before I left, and it showed a total of $3200 (food/drinks), but I was told that the bill would be adjusted after midnite.  Upon checkout my total bill for the entire week was $ 178, and $112 of that was for the transportation to/from airport. (it is charged to the room).

Upon arrival ask to speak to Director of  Room Operations, Sr. "N", remind him that he provided exquisite service for the Moore family during spring break, (for which he was recognized by Marriott  from what I understand, and you would appreciate a similar care free vacation.

Take the day trip to Isle Mujeres, 10 miles by boat (about $ 50 pp).  Boat trip,  lunch, massage at beach,  hammocks,  kids can handle a nurse shark,  drinks, lazy time if wanted, can rent  golf cart  to go around island (spectacular shore views/cliffs.

Let me know how it goes.            

atg0524 Platinum 3 Reviews

The Concierge is telling me that the platinum upgrade doesn't apply to suites, just an ocean view room upon availability.  And that we could book a suite at extra charge.  Is this correct, or should I just ask for a manager at check-in.  If a suite is just sitting empty, why can't I get upgraded to it?

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

ATG - the suite issue has many posts (do a search), but the bottom line is that suites are never guaranteed (in fact, when using points, suites are specifically excluded in the terms and conditions). They oftentimes sit empty.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...