12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2011 7:25 PM by david001 RSS

Things to do in Montreal?

versel Alumni Steward Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We'll be staing at the SpringHill Suites Old Montreal for three days. Anyone have any recommendations for the area?

Looking for advice on anything really...Dining, Sightseeing, Activities.

We'll be traveling with a 4yr old, so as far as restaruants go, I'm looking for something fairly relaxed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
  • Re: Things to do in Montreal?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Lucky you!  Montreal is one of the great cities of the world.  First and foremost, you need to spend at least a day in Old Montreal, one of the oldest parts of North America.  Notre Dame is glorious.  The restaurants, especially on two streets that head up toward Mont Royal are fantastic (I haven't been in a while, so their names elude me but the hotel can help.)  A trek up Mont Royal is also great for both exercise and a fantastic view of the city.  There are always concerts, hockey games and other things to do.  In the east end of the city you'll find the Botanical Gardens.

Bon voyage,

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

Montreal!  Welcome to the gem of North America!  When you check in, ask to stay on the sixth floor with a water view (otherwise you're looking at a view of building across the street only eight meters away).  The SpringHill Suites in Old Montreal is one block from Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal.  There is heavy construction in the square out front (still) but you can still gain access.  In addition to the above mentioned sites, there is also the Olympic village, the Biosphere, the F1 track, and more.  Two blocks from your hotel are several museums and the pier.  Lastly, and most importantly, lets not forget the food... oh the food!  Near your hotel:  Check out:

Holder

Le Local

L' Original

Méchant Beouf

These restaurants stand out as the best ones here, I've enjoyed them all.

Also, no trip to Montreal is complete with out going to Au Pied de Cochon.  My personal favorite (AND Anthony Bourdain's as well).

For desert, maple ice cream of course!

Enjoy your stay.

TL

Thanks for the suggestions! We just got back from the Science Museum. The interactive exhibits were great, but I think the highlight for our son was buying freeze dried astronaut ice cream in the gift shop.

I'm thinking it's time for a nap (for both of us...) and then a decision on where to eat dinner.

Are you there now?  I remembered one of the streets (rue Crescent) that has restaurants from top to bottom.  I don't have kids, so I probably can't be of much help.  But even just wandering in the Montréal underground city is fun, especially if it is cold there!

ProfChiara

Underground City? This isn't some elaborate April Fools prank is it??

Yes, we're here now. It's been great so far. And I don't mind the weather. It was surprisingly pleasant yesterday. I was actually able to walk around Old Montreal with a sweater and knit cap. We're here for another 1.5 days before heading to the Marriott Fallsview in Niagara for a day.

Plus, big excitement in Montreal yesterday:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110331/grounded-ship-blocks-traffic-110331/

You haven't found the Underground City?  It was created because of extreme cold and snow.  You can go practically anywhere in the city underground, doing your shopping etc.  It's kind of cool, besides being practical.  Again, while I've been to Québec City recently, it's years since I've been to Montréal.

Could your 4-year-old climb Mont Royal?  That's something that can be fun for the whole family and you can see the first official outpost of Europe in North America, because that's where Jacques Cartier planted the flag of France in 1534/35. Plus you have a panorama of the whole city.

Enjoy!  BTW, soupe à l'oignon gratinée (onion soup with cheese) is better in Montréal than in France.  I know whereof I speak :).  And I had most of those onion soups on Crescent Street (or, I think) rue de la Montagne.

Cheers, ProfChiara

I don't know if you're still in Montréal -- I hope so since it's one of my favorite cities -- but I found this site for "kids in Montréal.

http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=603&category=35

Also, someday take a trip to Québec.  It is my favorite city in North America and probably the only one that seems like you're actually in Europe.  The Plains of Abraham should appeal to a child who's a little bit older than yours is now.  And oh, the food.  I had a wonderful experience staying at the Courtyard Quebec but always ate in the old city (even though a gale was happening last time I drove there).

ProfChiara

Climbed Mont Royal today. It probably wouldn't have been too bad if I wasn't carrying 40 extra pounds of child. Great view, though.

Leaving today, unfortunately.

Do go back!  Montreal and Quebec City are (to me) the most amazing places in N America because they are the only two cities that really evoke Europe.  I'm glad (despite the 40 lbs) that you climbed Mont Royal!  You can always tell the story later when your son grows up!

ProfChiara

fhllast4ever Platinum

Sorry, quite late in responding to your question.  For future info,

do visit  Mont Tremblant  (one hour from Montreal) .  There is a Residence Inn at Mont Tremblant but it is nothing like others in the US.

It's location truly makes you feel like you travelled to Europe (it's in

a ski resort).

Actually, while Mont Tremblant may be great for some people, it is a source of lasting humiliation for me. In the 70s when I went there for a skiing vacation with my ex and his kids, I failed horrendously on the beginner hill (with an Austrian ski instructor). NEVER get an Austrian ski instructor!  He gave up on me and went back to the kids. I was still on the top of the hill and had to get down. I skied straight into the TBar.  I thought I'd broken both legs and just sat there and cried for 10 minutes before unstrapping the skis and pushing them downhill. Then with a deep breath, I slid down the hill on my butt and spent the rest of the time drinking hot rum in the lounge.

Although I wanted to be a sports writer after high school, I lack all athletic talents.

ProfChiara

david001 Silver 3 Reviews

I loved walking through the old part of Montreal.  I stayed at SpringHill Suites in old Montreal its on a quaint side street.

I loved the architecture.  The Bank of Montreal where I got some money changed is a wonderful old bank.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...