2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2011 3:48 PM by iestrikesback RSS

Marriott Wailea in March 2011: Amazing Tsunami Preparedness

well_traveled Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I spent a week at the Wailea Marriott in Maui with my family (wife, mother, aunt) celebrating my mother’s 60th birthday...as fate would have it the Tsunami occurred half way into our vacation on March 11th. I do not want to dwell on the catastrophic aspects of this tragedy, but I do want to extend a very heartfelt "Thank You" to the General Manager Bill C. and his entire staff.

In all the commotion on the island this fantastic crew (hotel) never showed any hesitation. It was always very clear to me that this team had really prepared for this type of event, and was indeed ready to execute a plan. Though it was more than that, they did everything in a very calm and professional manner. I was amazed that even under such stressful conditions this staff could do things in such a calm and reassuring manner.

As a guest in the hotel, I really felt that the hotel went out of its way to make each guest feel assured and safe. Moreover, I truly believe that the Marriott Wailea team made some life-long customers that evening. I can honestly say that I was blown away by the attention/amenities each guest received. And as a collective, we were offered blankets, towels, water, coffee, juice, snacks, desserts, and a complete full hot breakfast.

Ultimately, if I had to give the credit to one individual it would have to go to the General Manager Mr. Bill C.. Bill was there throughout the entire ordeal…from the late evening hours through the very next morning. He made sure everyone in the Ballroom (which we had to stay in until we were given the “All Clear”) was informed. Yet again, it really appeared that he was doing more than just his job. He was confident, amiable and just very pleasant. I myself spoke to him and several occasions that evening and not once did he rush off or seem preoccupied. Every time I approached him we spoke for several minutes and I felt so reassured.

That being said, I can honestly say that the Wailea Marriott in Maui has made me into a life-long customer and I can only hope that every other Marriott out there takes as good a care of their guests when disasters strike (if it is within their capacity).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Wailea - Maui, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Marriott Wailea in March 2011: Amazing Tsunami Preparedness
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for posting the kudos to the Wailea Marriott Resort and GM Bill C..

FYI, Bill has had more than one experience managing a Marriott property in the midst of a disaster.

Rewind five years --- My wife, kids and grandkids were staying at our timeshare unit at the Kauai Marriott and Beach Club where Bill was then the GM.

After two days of heavy rains - the greatest in recorded history on Kauai -  the property's swimming pool (28,000 square feet and the largest pool by surface area in Hawaii) was inundated with a river of mud pouring down from a nearby hillside.  Not only was the pool rendered useless but the first floor of the Hotel building and the resort's restaurants' production kitchen was flooded with 10 feet of muddy water.

Bill C. and the Kauai Marriott Resort staff reacted with incredible kindness, calmness and generousity.  Bill had the staff provide everyone with meals in the property's ballrooms with food prepared in an improvised kitchen.

I will never forget Bill C..  I knew he had moved on the the Wailea Marriott but was uninformed of the Hawaiian consequences of the Japanese tsunami.

Thanks for your post!    Kudos to Bill C. and his staff!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Wailea in March 2011: Amazing Tsunami Preparedness
    iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

A tsunami warning was issued during our stay at the Kauai Marriott maybe 5-6 years back.  Even though we didn't have to evacuate our room as we were on a higher floor, I remember being well-informed, and how well it was handled.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...