17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 8:53 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Spring Fever in Maine

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Like to ski?  No place is better than Maine in the springtime -- taken from my apartment this morning.

ProfChiara

• Re: Spring Fever in Maine
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

When will it end???  We're supposed to get another 1-3 inches tomorrow.

Happy Spring, eh?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Gotta love that Springtime weather!

I remember one year (1997) we had 32 inches of snow in Hopkinton, MA on April 1 when we lived there. Really, we did, not an April fool's joke. it was actually called the April Fool's Blizzard. Boston got 25 inches.

Stay warm!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Our weatherman just reported that the high tomorrow is suppossed to be 83 degrees.

The last time it sneauxed in south Louisiana was when the Saints won the Super Bowl.  We actually had 2 "ice" days last month and school was cancelled. 

A cool front is due to come through during the night tomorrow....the high will be 79 on Thursday.

It'll probably end some time in May .  Mainers are used to winter, and do just fine with the cold and snow, but... Since I moved here 17 years ago from Massachusetts I've joined my fellow Mainers in believing March is the worst month of the year. It's usually spring everywhere else. We still have significant snowbanks, and I'm only in central Maine, not the north or the mountains.

For those of you where it isn't snowing enjoy!

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I am just a few cubits shy of finishing my Ark here in "sunny" Monterey but I can sympathize with the folks who've endured a cold Winter.

Our summer home is on that Elbow in the Atlantic, Cape Cod, and our friends who "wintah ovah" abandon the Cape, mostly during March.

As one old Cape Codder said to me, "You can tell it's Spring when the mud in your yard seems a little greener than the day before." (Cape Cod accent removed for clarity)

After last "summa's" heat wave there, they are still in the complaining mode. And who can blame them? The Pats didn't make it to the Super Bowl, the Sox were similarly bad and well, after all, nothing seems to be working! (or so I hear via emails and FaceBooks).

Ah but a true Cape Codder (I lived in West Falmouth for 6 years) would wave happily good buy to the summer as the 'people from away' (as they are more often known in Maine) go home.  There is nothing so beautiful as a walk on a Cape Cod beach in the winter.  (I'm not being sarcastic -- I really mean it.)

ProfChiara

Yep we have CC friends who head to the Bourne and Sagamore bridges at Labor Day and cheerfully wave goodbye to those "summa complaints" (as they call) them in their overleaoded SUVs heading off Cape for the Winta.

Stepping Stones:

But Spring always brings those sunny thoughts of "this is our year" for the Sox....and they do appear to have a good team this year! I know I'll be watching my Sox in your part of the world (Oakland) when they come to visit in April. Of course, I'll be 'pahkin my cah' in San Fran so I can travel on the Cable cars and visit all the fun stuff in the big city!

Who knows....maybe my Sox and your Giants could be meeting in the Fall Classic! If that happens, maybe we'll have to explore some coastal 'my team is better than your team' bravado!

My Sox too!  Though I am mighty worried about whether or not there will be a Patriots' season...

ProfChiara

ProfChiara:

We'll have to gang up on Stepping Stones about our 'Sox'!

I didn't know you were a former Falmouth native. I also had a home on Falmouth in the late 60's to early 80's (when I was just a youngster). I had it built on Jenkins Pond if you are familiar with it. I cut my early years at the 'old' Seacrest Hotel if you remember that. I washed dishes as a high schooler there during the summer break. What a treat that area was!

Our beards are best!  It would be a great season ender to see the Sox and Giants duke it out.

Since Johnny Damon left, we've only had 'whiskers'. Your guy Wilson has the real deal in the beard department.

Let's hope for that Sox-Giants Fall Classic!

Not a Falmouth native -- but I lived there from 1987-1994, when I got my position in Maine.  Of course in Maine, I'll always be 'from away.'

You dare mention that evil name of Johnny Damon??? :)

Ah, yes...Johnny Damon.

I will always remember him fondly for two reasons:

1. He performed big time in Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS when we finally finished off the greatest comeback in baseball sports history and beat the Yankees.

2. That game performance convinced the Yankees GM to take a baseball player off our hands who couldn't throw out anybody's grandmother running home from second base. Had to have the worst arm I've ever seen in baseball.

I can't believe the Tampa Bay team was foolish enough to actually sign him and that guy who became a bum when he quit on the team..... Manny Ramirez..... both are washed up.

Of what sort, GP? I wrote the info during my spring break last year when I was stuck at home and for the first time since I've lived in Maine the temps were 80-90 in the third week.  That can happen in Boston, but never happens here.

But as for this year, we can't complain (yet), and Mainers (though I don't qualify -- only 18-1/2 yrs) are a hardy bunch.  We got mostly nothing from Sandy because of our wonderfully cold weather than also makes good lobsters.  And even the nor'easter that struck below us didn't do much impact except for a small amount of snow, already melted, then some rain (it's been very cold with extremely low dew points, not conducive to precipitation).  So -- so far so good.

It's funny about Maine. I hated it when I first arrived in 1994 after college and grad school in Boston and Providence (I am either a city or an ocean person).  Since I got stuck in Waterville, albeit at a great college, I am near neither, and just far enough away from 4 major airports to make my life a serious inconvenience for international travel.  Still, I must admit EVEN central Maine has grown on me (lack of crime; neighbors helping either other in emergencies, etc.) though there is no way in the world I'd ever retire in Waterville.  Maybe the Maine coast between the Midcoast and Portland.  Or maybe go back to ole Cape Cod, though their waters have gotten alarmingly warm, encouraging sharks and storms rather than lobsters.

ProfC

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

ProfC,

Who knows!

Your picture may inspire someone to spring skiing in Maine.

I am just adding in the links for the other threads, and hotels should someone get the urge for spring skiing in Maine!

I can sympathize with your position as I lived in NH for many years.

Loved it from Memorial Day to Labor Day, but was ready to migrate with the birds when they left town!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...