6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2011 12:48 AM by anadyr RSS

Complete Blockage Information on Big Sur

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The newest problem with California Highway 1 occured on March 25th 2011 just south of Big Sur and for the tme being the area is completely cut off.

Residents are being helicoptered to Rocky Point from Big Sur. Rains continue but for the time being. Big Sur is a land-locked island .

CalTrans says the closure is "indefinite."  There may be a reopening of one lane (which will be a traffic nightmare) by the end of April if the geologists and the rains cooperate. Forecast is for rain this week and next, so there is a probability that a schedule, however optimistic, will not be kept.

Of interest to runners (our daughter being one) is the fact that the Big Sur International Marathon, already sold out, is scheduled for May first, and plans are in place for an alternate route.  Runners will miss the grueling trek from sea level to 1700 feet and back to sea level again as they make their way (in past years) from Big Sur to Carmel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
CA, USA
Big Sur, California, USA
  • Re: Wash out
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Saw that on FNC while home at lunch.  Doesn't look good.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Lots of folks standing around looking but not much action there.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NUHUSKER

wow, very imporessive...... home for lunch.  Unfortunately, I have "miles to go before I sleep"

Happy St Pat's to All!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I really wasn't trying to rub it in, Shoeman.  I momentarily forgot that you and thousands of other insiders are still on the road till later tonight or maybe even tomorrow.  But, when I'm not on the road, I work exactly 3/4 of mile from home...3 turns and 1 stop sign away.  Life's great in a small town.  But I have to drive 50 miles to the nearest Taco Bell or Applebees, but only 5 miles to the nearest hog confinement.  So there is a down side.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

SS:

Thanks for the heads up! Now I know that I won't be considering that direction when there next month!

While there is some vacillation by the CalTrans folks they have changed the reopen date to "about a month or more." The slide area is at a point 400 feet above the Pacific so a difficult place to shore up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...