3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2011 11:52 AM by james30 RSS

PPL?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

PPL (Platinum Premier Lifetime) is something that I was thinking about in reading a recent post about someone having been a Platinum Premier member for 7 or 8 years.

Far as I know there is no lifetime award for making this, though as we know there is a reward of Lifetime Elite status for all other levels in the Rewards program.

Anyone else think this idea has merit?

• Re: PPL?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

SS

By it's own definition, PP is mostly an honoray title give to the "best of ther best" in a particular year.  As evidenced by opinions brought forth by several of you PP's out there, the extra benefits are virtually nill.  It is not even mentioned in the Marriott Rewards handbook. What likely makes more sense than offering lifetime PP, maybe Mariott should put some teeth in the level and truly reward the top tier members for their "above and beyond" performance the previous year.   A good  comparison to this level is the CONCIERGE KEY level with American Airlines.  It does not give me one addition mile, but the personalized service means more than I can say.  Also, the membership is awarded every few years and can be renewed or not at the point of completion.  I say keep the PP level for those road warriors still in the battle.  Just my opinion.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Shoeman, good points all.

I know that United Air Lines at one time had an "Invisible Level" that a friend made and they practically rolled out a private plane for him whenever he flew.Never made it past 1K myself but I was pleased with the private lounges and all that.

As for Platinum Premier I have been one since 2004 as I recall, and enjoy that card, even though it really makes little difference when I check in.  At a Ritz Carlton it is seen as merely another Marriott frequent stayer in my experience.

So perhaps leaving it as an annual perk would be best, and I agree that a real difference between both Platinum and Platinum Premier as opposed to Gold would be a real benefit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

james30 Platinum

I don't think it is particularly a good idea.  Lifetime takes us into retirement and there is no reason to think most will continue to give Marriott the same amount of business once they retire as they did prior to that.  Thus, they would be PPL while doing no more than Platinum Emeritus members.  Also, there are Platinum Emeritus members who became such long before Platinum Premier existed.  So if there's a new lifetime level based on Platinum Premier activity, then those people should not be denied that level, especially, again, when future activity may not look that different between the two groups.