9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 1:13 PM by GemPrincess RSS

48-Hour Guarantee, Really? Isn't so using address search!

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

According to T&C for Platinum members under the 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, "Traveling on short notice? We’ll guarantee you’ll always have a room for any paid stay. Just make your reservations 48 hours before arrival at over 3,200 participating Marriott hotels.

Two months ago, I reserved a points-paid 2BR suite at the RI-Fort Myers Sanibel for the week 03/27-04/03. Today, I was curious what the cash-price would be, so  - I logged into reservations using my PP number and password, performed an Advanced Search using the EXACT street address for the property for the same days. Interestingly, this property did NOT appear among the available hotels (it's sold out), the nearest at 4.4 miles from the address.

Here's what bothers me - if I need a hotel close to an address (such as a client of mine) and there is a property literally within or on the same block AND if I am supposed to be guaranteed 48-hour guaranteed availability as a PP, then why does this property NOT show up in the results? What good does a 48-hour guarantee provide if I can't get the "most convenient" hotel?

I'm sure some MRI replies will be to call the PP reservations desk - sure, glad to do so, but how would I know the property even exists if it does not appear in a list? There is a solution - don't start with arrival/departure dates - then all show up in the list!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: 48-Hour Guarantee, Really? Isn't so using address search!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Pingreeman,

Buried in the terms and conditions is the following language:

"48-hour Guaranteed Availability: Limited to Platinum Member's personal guestroom. Guaranteed room availability for reservations booked at least 48 hours prior to arrival available at all participating Marriott hotel brands except Marriott Vacation Club. 48 Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events). Benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type of promotional or discounted rates. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, 48 Hour Guaranteed Availability applies to studio rooms only."

My emphasis above,  Thus the askerisk rules in some cases as well as the comment that local regulations supercede guarantees!

Sorry.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Another take away is that when and if you get a room it will be at Rack or full rate!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Pingreeman

good point!  Additionally, I understand your point that you would not even know what you were missing.  I would think this would be a topic that one of the Marriott Monitors would address.

Using a date range of one day 4/3-4/4 I found that there is availability at that RI for $239 a night foir a 2 and 2.  I assume other discounts may apply such as AAA and Senior rate but did not check.

Point of interest--did you call them directly to see what's what?  I got the same sold out for your dates, but they might have a cancellation and stand by list?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

A couple of things.  I called one time for a room at the Omaha Marriott during the annual Berkshire-Hathaway shareholders meeting.  They were willing to give me a platinum overide room, but for the special event rate, well over $300 as I recall.  I declined and stayed at the FFI in Council Bluffs at the state government rate of $50.  FYI, the Omaha Marriott ain't that nice.

Next, according to SS post on T&C, emphasized,

48 Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events),

even if the hotel did block platinum overide, it should only be for certain, limited dates, as opposed to an on-going policy of no platinum overides when hotel is completely booked.  I suspect you can get that room if you make enough noise.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Last fall I attended a wedding in Virginia. I attempted to make the reservation at a Residence Inn in Charlottesville. We were spending extra time on each end for sightseeing and the like.

Every time I tried to book the reservation directly from the RI page on marriott.com, I couldn't get it (no room available for one night was the message I got). I could book all nights except the Saturday night. Turns out it was a home game for the U of Virginia...and their games are in Charlottesville.

I called the Platinum number and asked the rep to call the hotel directly to get me the override for the Sat. night.....and that I wanted it at the rate I was getting for all the other nights...or I wouldn't stay any nights at this RI. They gave me the override and the night at the same rate.

I was happy.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Pingreeman and fellow Insiders,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of details regarding the 48-hour guarantee for Platinum members:

First, the Platinum override for the 48-hour room guarantee is applicable for all searches (including "by address") on Marriott.com, so please let us know if you have any issues with the web site.

Second, Platinum members are eligible for only one personal guest room per hotel per night when the Platinum override is in effect.  Therefore, if you had already reserved a room (using points) at the hotel and then did a subsequent search for availability using the same dates, no further room availability would show for you at this hotel if the hotel was already sold out.

This second point might not be as clear as it should be on the web site during the search for availability process , so I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.  I will follow up with the Marriott.com team to see if they can clarify the messaging for our Platinum members.

Thanks for your feedback!

Laura

frankiesesso Platinum 5 Reviews

Also, the 48 hour guarantee does not apply to major events:superbowl, playoffs, rodeo,etc hosted by the hotel city...once sold -out they are sold-out

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...