4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2011 2:19 PM by nhtraveler RSS

Our Interconnected World

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was asleep when the terrible earthquake hit Japan and awake to see the police cordoning off our beaches on the Monterey Peninsula the next morning in advance of the Tsunami.  We were relatively untouched but to the north about 45 miles in Santa Cruz about 14 million dollars in damage was done.  Several lives were lost along our coast.

All this from an event far away, one that reminds me that we are all in this together; that things rarely happen in isolation.  Marriott has nine hotels in Japan.  As if today I hear that power is being rationed, gas is in short supply and people are desperately searching for missing loved ones.  The US Department of State has told Americans not to travel there until further notice.

So, this Sunday I put aside my wondering about points and qualifying nights and think of those people suffering from this devastating tragedy.  My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan today, as I hope for a complete recovery.  I hope all Insiders can find a way to help.

• Re: Our Interconnected World
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Well said, SteppingStones.  The size of the earthquake and power of the tsunami were unbelievable and my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

It is so sad.  sometimes I long for the day that something as sad as this was just an article in the paper.  Today, we are blessed with, and saddened by, 24/7 cable reporting.  The sites and sounds of the crisis in real-time make it all the more horrible.  My heart goes out to them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree.  But while some of us are are hoping for the best outcome possible, here's what a couple of American idiots are saying:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/03/14/50-cent-mocks-japans-earthquake-victims-tweets/?test=faces

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Stepingstones - I'm only sorry that I didn't see your post earlier and respond earlier. Your post should make all of us think about what is really important in life. My traveling companion and I have a good friend in Japan and Brenda e-mailed her to tell her that if she is able to leave, she has a place to stay with either of us until it is safe for her to return. Thank you for reminding us that our world is indeed interconnected and when disasters such as this occur, we should all do what we can to ease the suffering of those affected.

nhtraveler

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...