15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2011 3:04 PM by nuhusker RSS

Trust in social networks

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A recent UK study showed major distrust of privacy in social networks, even Linkedin.

"More than three-quarters (79 percent) of respondents were either ‘not very’ or ‘not at all’ confident in social media sites keeping their data secure, according to research by YouGov."

I tend to be more circumspect in my Linkedin account, but see plenty of personal information out there.

So do other Insiders consider the risks in posting on these networks or merely abstain from being a part of the fad?

• Re: Trust in social networks
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I joined Linkedin only to satisfy a nagging concern that I do not "network" enough.  That said, I hardly ever truly participate.  I have no interest in, or to your point, trust in any of the other sites.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'm on LinkedIn with minimal information, mostly requests from former students. I will NEVER be on Facebook.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Ditto what the Professor said! 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I have a LinkedIn account that gets little use by me. I don't have anything to do with Facebook or Twitter. 

I actually use Twitter (not under my own name of course) fairly frequently, mostly to follow world events that aren't being covered on US news stations (e.g., what's been happening in Egypt since the revolution).

ProfChiara

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman -- what happened to the picture of your cow?

well, I thought I should go into hiding for a while..... I thought I might take a break from the community for a while, but then quickly realized how much I enjoy it.  So my effort to be incognito was to remove the cow.

Welcome back Shoeman! You were the sole of the Insiders forever and were mised. I feel like a heel not mentioning that sooner but you know, sometimes I am a loafer!

What is this thing you call facebook?

They made a movie about it-seems that it is a bunch of 20 somethings with nothing to do except stare at their computer screens, so they invented a way for people to embarrass themselves by posting comments to each other.  And oh by the wat there are 500 million people in this thing!

Great explanation, SteppingStones!  Amazing how far we've come since the days of party lines.

While I am a privacy freak in general and do not at all trust social networks (hence my utter and complete avoidance of Facebook, webcams, etc), I have come to realize they can have an enormous significance in the world.  SInce I was in Egypt only a month before the revolution, I can only say that while most of it was due to the Egyptian people, Facebook and social media largely made it possible.  Now, in Japan, Facebook and Google are performing some of the same services.

So while I deplore most Facebook people's (here I again reveal my bias against) self-absorption, I think social media are playing a huge and in many cases very positive role in the 21st century world.

ProfChiara

ProfChiara

to dispute that would only show our age.  Social networking is here to stay, along with cell phones, ipads, etc...  Life was so much simpler back in 60's,70's, and 80's.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

Stepping Stones, that last post felt like it was cobbled together to me...

Oops. Apparently I should've clicked through to page two. I guess I'm a little late on the shoe puns.

As to Shoeman's comment about "showing our age,"  I'm just glad this facebook thing didn't exist in the 60's/70's.  I'm not sure how "self-absorbant" some would have found me, but I am certain that my foolishness and immaturity would have been self-evident.  Come to think of it, I can't remember any of my friends owning a camera.  Can you imagine if we'd been caught on a cell phone and put on you tube??!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...