10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2011 9:00 AM by pingreeman RSS

When FREE Internet Service just isn't worth it.

starcrazee Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I've been staying at the RI in Germantown, TN for the last 2 months. It didn't take long to realize that the Internet service here is absolutely horrendous. I'm not talking about trying to stream movies or Skype, simple tasks like checking email or filing expense reports are unreasonably painful most evenings.

After a call or two to the StayOnline helpdesk (since the front desk rejected any ownership of the issue) I learned that I should not expect throughput beyond 1.5 mbps (1/6th of service I get in my rural home). Fixing the problem was always comprised of the technician kicking "abusive" users off the network. Conditions would improve for a little while until the next guest would log in to Skype, Netflix, or whatever.

How did they know that they were "abusers" I ask? To the best of my knowledge, access to these online services is not prohibited. The available bandwidth at this (and other Marriott properties) simply will not support these activities. The simplest solution would be to increase the bandwith available to each hotel. Until the hotel identifies and enforces access to these "abusive" services there is no alternative but to increase the bandwidth.

Staying late at work each night in order to get reliable Internet access is not improving my impression of the value that this Residence Inn provides to it's guests. How is your Marriott during in this regard where you stay?

• Re: When FREE Internet Service just isn't worth it.
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I too have found that the Internet in almost all Marriott's is very slow and at times also very irritating.  At an RI recently for example I had to go through the sign in process every time I returned to the machine, and brought it out of sleep mode.  I also did a speed test and made 0.7 mbps which is nearly dial-up without the handshake!.

I hope that a better and more reliable system is in the works.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I'm glad that I'm not alone in noting this problem. I can only imagine the sense of frustration that people who are not gold or platinum members, and who are paying for the internet at the properties that charge, feel. Not being a techie, I have no idea what would be involved in developing a system that provides a more uniform data transmission speed or what it would cost. Regardless of the cost, I think it would clearly be in Marriott's best interest to invest the necessary money. If business people who rely on their computers are not able to transact their business I'm sure that they will go elsewhere. Good perhaps for upgrades being available but bad for Marriott!

NHtraveler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

count me in too!  I'm reluctant to complain because it is a free service to us Platinum or Gold members, but, just last night i got so frustrated that I just shut the computer down and watched tv.  I had work to do, but it was painfull to work online.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Actually, 1.5mps is great speed - if you can get it.

The connection at any hotel, Marriott or otherwise, has been hit and miss.

musicats Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with all of posts that complain about the internet service at Marriott.  The service that my current location shuts down each day at 1 PM.   I then  need to reauthenticate.   I work second shift so I've lost a good deal of work because of this daily shutdown.  Marriott lists the free internet as a loyalty bonus. !? WTF

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I will leve the mps discussion to those who follow that stuff.  all I know is that slow is slow.......

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

It would undoubtedly be cheaper to run a garden hose into a hotel for a water supply, but the dozens of showers would be getting only drops of water.

It almost appears they are doing this with internet services.  I just checked out of a RI south of Denver and the internet speed was pathetic.  I couldn't even call up web pages, they would hang.  Another guy was travelling on the same trip, at the other end of the complex, same thing.

My computer, I might add, works just fine.  I AM an IT guy.

We should start a list of the Marriott Internet access "wall of shame".

starcrazee Gold 7 Reviews

I LOVE the idea of creating a Wall Of Shame!

Anyone can use http://testmy.net/ to test their own connections and post the results like these;

231 Kbps download at Germantown, TN Residence Inn http://testmy.net/PCV00TJAM.png

starcrazee Gold 7 Reviews

I was encouraged in the 8 hours that followed this original post, we actually experienced a breakthrough in reasonable throughput. A new week brings back the abysmal performance at the Germantown RI.

320 kpps tonight, can hardly load this page.

http://testmy.net/C4teEM.png

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Since I use FireFox, I downloaded one of their add-ons, "Broadband Speed Tests and Diagnostics" which I always use to measure my up/down speeds.

On an aside, I've been at the same FF since August 2009. Opened less than 60 days before my first night's stay, they had very respectable speed, both up and down. By June 2010, speeds had so poorly decreased I contacted the GM. Since this FF is the closest Marriott property to the Milwaukee airport (think "business travelers"), I urged him to consider upgrading to a blazingly fast fiber-optic line and then advertise this on the FF site as "the fastest internet speed among airport hotels" as a way to draw more business. Nine months later, I hear the franchise owners have approved the fiber line and the advertising campaign. We'll see how long it takes to get the lines installed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...