6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2012 2:52 AM by mrhodgee RSS

Platinum Rewards - Marriott Wailea Beach

allijeee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Insiders!

We will be booking our honeymoon at the Marriott Wailea Beach, for this coming October, 2011.

By the end of this month, I will be a Platnium member.  Not being too familiar with the rewards program, I have a few questions from things that I've read in these forums.

Is there a concierge lounge at the Wailea?  Do they have breakfast deals for Platinum members?  Do you have to pay for parking or is it included?  Do you have to pay the resort fee, if you "paid" for the trip in points?  Are there any nice honeymooner upgrades I could/should ask for at this hotel? Any good insider scoop?  Best rooms? Etc?

Ovbiousy, since it's our honeymoon, I'd like to make this a trip of a lifetime, so any and all information is greatly appricatied!  THANK YOU!!!

• Re: Platinum Rewards - Marriott Wailea Beach
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Double congratulations on making Platinum Elite and on spending  that Honeymoon in Hawaii.

Here is the fact sheet for the hotel sorry, they do charge for parking.  As a resort the breakfast deal does not apply and there is no Lounge.  If you've got a reservation please contact the hotel directly to remind them that it's your special Honeymoon and that you were wondering if they might be able to do something special for you both.  Ten percent of the rooms are suites, so you never know, they might upgrade you.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Hi Alli,

We've stayed at the Wailea Marriott using points, and were not disappointed.  They upgraded us to a spectacular ocean view room w/lanai on the top floor of the tower portion.  Yes, the breakfast buffet at the Mala Wailea restaurant (?) is not free, but it's outstanding.  If I recall correctly, there was a "resort fee" which included parking when we stayed, but it was waived because we used points.  I would call the hotel directly when making reservations and ask about their policy.  Also, don't forget to tell them it's your honeymoon and that you're Platinum members, and I'm sure they'll take care of you.  Enjoy!          

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lorirobert Platinum

We stayed in Wailea in 2003 fr 2 weeks before the Marriott hotel was completed, but I must say the island was fantastic.  We were celebrating our 5th anniversary, and came home with an unexpected souvenir from the trip....he is going to turn 7 in June!  Enjoy and good luck, you never know what can happen!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

frigolay Platinum 44 Reviews

My wife and I went there last October for our honeymoon.  We both loved the hotel but that was our first and only stay in Maui so we have nothing else to compare it to.

A couple of things.

I'd suggest the resort passport.  It's 25/day.  The parking would've been 20/day.  Included in the resort passport is parking, liter bottle of good water each day, 2 free starbucks, 2 free drinks both for the stay not each day and discounts on cabana rentals, spa and restaurant.  It was worth the extra $5 a day.

There is no concierge lounge or level as I know.  There is one tower on the property but the hotel is for the most part several separate buildings (hale's) that are spread out on the property.

I booked a standard room and was upgraded to an ocean view room. I was platinum at the time.  At the time, there were options to upgrade rooms using points as well.  We just decided not to use points for that.

I did cash in points for marriott checks. 135k points for $1000.  We put stuff on the room and then applied the checks to the room. We did have a private ocean side dinner.  It was expensive (750 at the time) but very good.  I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't our honeymoon and i hadn't gotten the marriott checks.

Definitely mention it's your honeymoon.  Between that and your status you should get a room upgrade.  If it were me and I had the points, I would get one or two upgrades with points and the checks.

About two weeks prior, the hotel emailed me and asked me about the resort passport, platinum welcome gifts etc.  They were very accommodating and helpful.

We both enjoyed the hotel, but did spend a lot of time away from the hotel on activities. My wife loved the spa for the morning she spent there.  We did get a cabana for our one day at the pool which was really nice and relaxing.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

mrhodgee Platinum

Hopefully your trip to Wailea went well.

A couple of points that I would recommend to any Platinum members going to the Islands for vacation, especially Maui.  My wife and I have stayed there 7 or 8 times in the last 12 years and pretty much have it down to a science:

Time to travel -

If you have flexability and no kids strongly suggest going in either Sep/Oct/May.  These are the "off season" months with very few kids, and in the case of Sep/Oct they are generally the driest months.

Room Upgrade -

Book the first night at the lowest available rate for a garden or terrace room, and then points for the balance of the trip.  Paying for the first night generally helps with an upgrade.  In addition e-mail the GM of the property approx. 60 to 90 days in advance letting them know of your upcoming trip and a request to an Ocean front room.  I have always been contacted by their Assistant and have always gotten at a minimum an upgrade to an Ocean View, and usually an Ocean Front room or suite.

Meals -

Breakfast will set you back a college tuition if you eat there for a week.  Suggest two options:

-  Walk next door to the Shops at Wailea and have a nice breakfast at Cheeseburgers in Paradise for less than $10.00 per person

-  Take the short drive into Kihei and eat where the locals do.  Great food, plenty to see and half the price.  This is also an excellent option for dinner as well as the bars.

Mahalo!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...