8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2011 7:10 PM by actravels RSS

What's a shower worth?

figment1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed a category 5 hotel, in the morning when I wanted my warm shower no water was to be found. Seems the city was working on a water main and the hotel said they lost 30% of the normal water pressure. I was only on the 7th floor and would think 30% wouldn't have been a factor for no water. At any rate I complained and at first was told it was not our problem. Later I received an email from customer care with some thank you points for my account. Well now I know why we shouldn't ask what others get paid for doing the same job. A co- worker also complained and the adjustment was quite different. Seems Marriott should have a standard for such issues is my thought. But I am curious as to what you folks would have felt was just compensation. After a couple of days I will post what we each received. 

I said I would tell what happend. My co worker received 30,000 points I received 10,000. The hotel would have cost 25,000 points if booked for a points night. I still think Marriott should have some dort of standard for such issues.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What's a shower worth?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

In my opinion, the room should have been free for the night. I would have demanded it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

When you stay you're making a deal with the hotel that your room will be clean and safe and that everything in it will work, including hot water.  You should be compensated for the lack of it by getting a full refund.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had similar issues twice (no hot water/poor shower) and each time I was given a night's credit, the equivalent value in points (cat x hotel nightly points) and one of the times a few drinks and dinner at the hotel bar.  In no way did any of that make up for the lack of shower but it certainly made me look back and think they did what they could to make up for it.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The least I would accept is a refund for the night. However, based on the amount of business one does with Marriott, the more I would think the brand would want to do to compensate for the issue.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I had my room comped in October when no hot water was available, but I had to ask the front desk what they planned on providing.  I was thinking additinal points but was happy with a free night.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

You know, a shower before you meet a client is worth more than, say a shower before you get on the plane home.

I stayed in a Fairfield Inn where the shower didn't work in the morning and they assured me it would be fixed that day!  They didn't offer me an alternate so they must have been full.

I think the manager gave me some bonus points, but what I really wanted was the shower.   I wouldn't have accepted a free night, the bed did work.

dw152a Gold

About 10 years ago I was in a room for only one night (actually, I was only there about 8 hours), and the only two things I wanted was a bed to sleep in and a shower.  They were having problems with the hot water, so none was available in the morning, so I took a very cold shower before my flight home.  I complained and got the cost of the room refunded to me.  I was satisfied with that response.

These things happen that can't be controlled and aren't the fault of the hotel, but the true measure of service is how the hotel responds to the customers when these things happen.

actravels Platinum

I would be happy with a discount or a good deal of points.  I can deal with a cold shower.  Now if there was no water I might reconsider.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...