15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2011 5:33 PM by franchesca RSS

NEVER STAYING AT A MARRIOT AGAIN!

franchesca Member
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I booked a room at Springhill Suites Chesapeake Greenbriar VA. I had By far the WORST experience of my life. In Feb 2011 I was planning a trip to visit my boyfriend in the military I had called around and in my opinion Springhill Suites was the best deal. I had talked to my boyfriend about it and he agreed. I called the hotel to make sure it was alright that I stay there because I am only 20 and most hotels have policies that you have to be 21. When I called they told me there was no problem and that it was fine that I stay there so I immediatly booked a room for 4 nights. About a month later I arrived at the hotel and they had told me I was not allowed to stay at that hotel because I wasn't 21! I was furious and scared I had nowhere to go or stay I was in a place I didn't know. The lady at the front desk did not care at all about my safety or that it was their fault that I was misinformed! I told her that I had called to make sure it was alright that I could stay and she didn't care or do ANYTHING about it! I will NEVER stay at a Marriot hotel again and I will spred the word!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
  • Re: NEVER STAYING AT A MARRIOT AGAIN!
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Franchesca, welcome to the site.

sorry to hear your story, I hope everything worked out ok with you and your friend.  I had never heard of the 21 yr old age requirement at hotels.  Did you attempt to speak with a manager?  Anyway, my best to you and your military friend.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I feel your frustration.  I wonder, though, if maybe you did too good a job coordinating with the hotel about your age concern.  Maybe that's TMI.  If you just show up with a credit card, I can't imagine Marriott clerks doing card checks for age unless you want to buy a beer from the market.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sorry for that confusion and refal to let you stay.  If you are old enough to drive and have a credit card you should be able to stay in a hotel

Consider writing an email to customer.care@marriott.com for an explanation and perhaps an apology.

Let us know what you find out please.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Francescha,

You were treated horribly and you deserve a response from the property as well as (in my view) compensation.  It may be that you shouldn't have raised the issue of age (though often that will happen automatically when and if you have to show ID -- I'm not sure in the US, but you always have to in Europe).

In any case, I want to assure you most Marriotts are NOT like the one you experienced and I have had amazing vacations (many of them free) thanks to my Marriott stays.

So I urge to pursue your complaint with the particular property and if you don't receive a satisfactory response call or email Marriott.

ProfChiara

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry about your experience.  This had to be a misunderstanding somewhere along the line --- forget whose fault it may be.

After more than 2,000 Marriott room nights, I can tell you that your episode - while sad - is an anomaly.

My only suggestion: Never say never.

Very wise advice, CountryJim.

Never say never

I eaten those words before.

hahaha48 Platinum 2 Reviews

many hotel will not take someone under 21

arrogantpeacok Silver 2 Reviews

Bad decision.  Marriott had recently introduced two new brands to add to their already stellar collection.  One bad experience shouldn't be the sole basis for formulating your opinion on this hotel.  In all likelihood, you had probably called and spoke to an inexperience and ill-informed employee who gave you some not-so-accurate information.  I do however, agree with you; I would be upset too.  Fortunately, you are still alive and have survived your situation.  Get over it, move on, and enjoy your next stay.  Dislike the individual who gave you the bad information, hopefully this was a learning experience for both you and the individual and you can rebuild your trust in the brand.  You get tremendous value for the money you pay so relax and enjoy.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Though I'm not an attorney, I am a CPA so I had to study the Uniform Commercial Code which is heavily skewed to contracts, which is essentially the reservation created between the property and you. Normally, a person must be at least 18 years of age or legally emancipated to enter into a binding contract - unless the consideration is for "necessities" such as food, clothing, or SHELTER.

The last sentence overrides ANY INNKEEPER from turning away guests because of a general obligation of duty to admit all person who seek shelter. The exception is if the innkeeper has "just cause" for refusing accomodations. Some examples (and there aren't many): a reasonable belief that the guest may harm employees or other guests, an inability to pay (no credit card or cash deposit), an intent of the guest to carry out an illegal act, or a lack of available guestrooms.

Considering you had a reservation, had a credit card, and were over 18, you have a solid "breach of contract." The ONLY exception I could think of was if each and every room had a minibar - a 21-YO age requirement in Virginia. But I checked the property's web site and there was no mention of minibars in any of the rooms.

jasperjugan Gold

horrible experience.

if i had a not so good experience with Marriott also and i intend to write an email in a good way just to let them know the concerns so it can be rectified for me or others in the future. recently though, there's just a number of them and as much as i want to, i feel not writing about it anymore and let it go so as not to be tagged as a whiner, but i really feel the quality of service is not the same, even on the same properties, as before

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The actions of this hotel make no sense to me. How many spring breakers do you think stay at Marriott hotels during 'Spring Break' that are not yet 21? Their reason for the stay is to drink and party, period.....and don't tell me the inkeepers don't know it when they show up.

I suspect there's another side to the story that we won't hear since feedback from hotel management isn't possible on this site.  Maybe if Franscesa posted on Trip Advisor, the GM would respond.

And, Jasper, your picture says it all.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

NUHUSKER:

Good points....

franchesca Member 8 Reviews

I did Post on Trip advisor if you would like to look.

franchesca Member 8 Reviews

I sent an email yesterday. I will let you know what they say when I hear back. Thank you

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...