9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2011 10:38 AM by cryofx RSS

Hotel rating by Insiders

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I suggest we start an unscientific but realistic rating system for hotels in which we've just stayed.  These are subjective but might help others in their future stays. Unlike other ratings schemes I suggest the system rely on factors of staff helpfulness, cleanliness and amenities.

Here's my far from perfect rating scheme:

One star:  Barely or not adequate by Marriott Standards, lacking staff service orientation, tired and needing a facelift.

Two stars:  More welcoming but still needing a push to be a favorite.  Staff seem more willing to help but not on top of their game.  Some cleanliness issues.

Three stars:  Just about the middle.  Staff are conscientious, seem aware of needs of guests but some things fall through the cracks.  Facility is clean but not spotless.  All in place in the rooms.

Four stars:  Apparent that the hotel staff are on top of things, and anticipate guest needs and wants.  Fully and spotlessly cleaned.  Special requests noted and acted on quickly.

Five stars: Beyond all else, a unique place that we can treasure and brag about, regardless of cost.  Staff are very professional and service oriented, with minute attention to detail. Guests are often treated to special items and prizes. Management is hands on.

Thoughts or comments most welcome.

• Re: Hotel rating by Insiders
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

I agree, and would like to hear from the "People who travel" as to ratings.

Your classifications make sense to me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I think this is something we could incorporate into our posts about any Marriott hotel -- if enough of us do it, it could be very useful.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I like the concept of a rating system as ss laid out.  I would however, also agree with pingreeman.  I struggle with searches on the site presently.  I don't know how the search system would work, but it would need to be better than what we currently have.  just my opinion.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Great responses and thanks.  Yes the search capability needs to be improved so that this will work more efficiently. Pingreeman, you encapsulated what I tried to say but failed--that the ranking system needs to focus on Marriott specific items, not on those which cross lodging brand lines.

Consider this a suggestion for those who want to use it, nothing more.  I would hope that we put in words what we like and do not like about any hotel experiences and was trying to formalize that in a rating scheme.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I think it's a great idea.  In order for ease of searching, how about something like a single "Where did you just stay?" thread where you can provide your rating and justification/inputs?

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

With the advent of the new MRI site, I'd like to resurrect this discussion.  When creating a discussion it does give the option to input a particular city and then choose a particular hotel.  In theory, this should make it easier then to search that hotel using the search function, but a quick test returns a mixed bag.  I've said this in many posts in the last week, but I hope as part of their rolling out the new site Marriott is willing to make tweaks to improve it.  For example, as I referenced above; we now have the option to input a particular city and then choose a particular marriott property.  It would only make sense if when searching we could filter by the hotel name chosen in the drop down when the post was created. 

I'd for one favor a movement as suggested in this discussion by "prof" back on March 2, to incorporate this into our posts.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

It appears it is possible to filter by location:

From main site click on "Browse"

Just above the top group of discussions there is a button for "filter" - Click it once and a dropdown will appear with "filter by tag" in it.  Change to "filter by location".

NOTE - when typing in a location use the full spelling for the state.

Another option afforded with the new site is to create groups.  If a group of MRI wanted to commit to sharing a ranking system, I surmise a group could be created (though I have yet to figure out how) and members could be added if they were willing to participate in a ranking system.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Again,

This is a great idea and would really be grand to go along with "Hall of Fame Marriott's"!

cryofx Platinum 60 Reviews

I think this is a great idea. Recently I stayed at a property that had a higher "star" rating yet was quite disappointed. Conversely I often stay at a different property that is fantastic, yet has lower "stars". Both Amazon and eBay have fantastic feedback and customer rating systems. It would be in Marriott's (as a brand) interest to support such a system. I would be very interested in helping to start such a system.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links