12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2011 9:50 AM by roadkill68 RSS

Presidential Library

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Simi Valley California is home to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, a place that I have never been, though I worked as a (very) minor player during his administration. I once met him , but it was for only a nano-second.

Have any Insiders been to the Library and if so what was their impression?  We are thinking of going there in March, and would have limited time, so we wondered what others who've been think and if they'd recommend something over others?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Presidential Library
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Stepping Stones:

Timely post! I would love to hear the impressions of those who have been there. I would very much like to schedule a visit to the library when I make a west coast excursion in mid April to southern CA and San Fran.

If you go, please let me know about your visit!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Will do--according to their web site they have redone the interior for the president's 100 birthday.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Been there and it was impressive!  Going back in June and to the Ranch.

Was staying in Ventura and drove up to the Library and it was a great day.  Then, I did not know that he was buried there and I was able to "Pay my respects".

Including The Channel Islands tour, along with Santa Barbara, I really enjoyed the train museum in Fillmore.  I have always liked train travel and this was a very historic place.  Many movies involved Fillmore trains and it was a great respite for the day.

Stepping, this was a great time!

Thanks Jerry, and yes I am very anxious to go and also pay my respects to a great man.  I recall that you may have stayed at the Ventura Beach Marriott, which is my favorite California hotel (ever!).

I will post when back.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

That Ventura Marina was one of the best places I have ever enjoyed.

There is a great open aired place for breakfast and another great Steakhouse right at the entrance.

You will enjoy the Reagan Library!

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Sally and I flew into LAX 3 weeks ago with a few hours to kill and drove to Yorba Linda and visited the Nixon Lib.  It is modest but very well designed and we enjoyed the visit...just a thought if you have extra time...Bill

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I completely agree with all the positive comments about the Reagan Presidential Library.  Visited there twice, and will do so again in August along with my first tour of the Nixon Presidential Library.  Can't wait!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

NuHusker

be wary of hidden cameras and/or "bugs" when visiting the Nixon Library. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman...now that's funny!

Aside from that, I recall in 1971 I think it was when Pres Nixon signed a pay increase for the military that doubled my monthly pay from $125 to just over $250.  But, that's back when cigarettes were $1.10 a carton at the Ton Son Nhut commissary.

Thanks Bill for that tip

I remember that pay raise as well NUHusker--it meant that I was very wealthy as a First Lt. in the Army, so wealthy in fact that I have never been able to recover that state!!!

roadkill68 Gold 8 Reviews

First, thank you for your service to our great nation!  I highly recommend a visit to Reagan's Library.  I love presidential libraries (republican and democrat alike) and have been to Reagan's, Ikes, Truman's, Hoover's and Ford's.  Reagan's is the best!  There is an actual Air Force 1 that you can tour there.  There is also a Marine One (Presidential Helicopter) there, but you cannot go inside.  Other items I thought were neat, the actual booth from Reagan's favorite restaurant where he proposed to Nancy and artifacts from his home town.  Like all other Presidential Libraries I have been to, the President's somber grave site is moving.  Highly, Highly recommend!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...