7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2011 9:42 AM by nuhusker RSS

Smokey room?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Spent last night in Paducah, Ky, in a room that had been heavily smoked in.  Could not change because property was sold out.  Reported it to manager so they did not think it was me.

Has anyone else encountered this and what did you do about it?

• Re: Smokey room?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry,

Only once did that happen and I was walked to a different hotel, my bonus awaded, and an apology from the manager.  In days gone by they could always claim that a nonsmoking room was not available but since they are all NS that;s no longer the case.

Ionization does nothng for me except give me headache.  Softgoods in the room absorb the smells of smoke, and on and on. So I prefer not to inherit someone else's smoking violations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Jerry I have not had that since Marriott went smokeless some years ago.  A smoked in room bothers me so much I simply would have had to go to the lobby and sit up for the night.  Marriott says if you smoke they charge you a $200 restoration fee, accordingly, I would think you would be entitled to a $200 endurance fee for staying in the room.

Bill

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thank-you both for the information.  This is the first time this has happened to me and it was late and I was too tired to make a case out of it.  The front desk gave me a can of "Spray", but I really got a headache from the room.

Will discuss with the GM prior to my next stay!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I like the judge's verdict.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

me too!  Now, if we could just get car rental companies to police the smoking......  seems like every car I rent smells like a chimney.

travelsalot Platinum 4 Reviews
    Have had that happen several times. Last time was a few months ago at a TownPlace suites in Houston. Complained to Marriott, got an email back saying they were sorry, and would refund my points I used on the stay, but that never happened. Gotten the spray fragrance choice once, another time moved to another room, once at a newer facility in DC, the manager bent over backwards to accomodate. It happens when you travel a lot, none the less for me, I still like Marriotts over Hilton. Definitely disappointed about the Houston thing though. Short answer, complain and expect the manager to do something, just be reasonable.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I think you ought to follow up on the Houston situation even if it has been several months.  You should not have been ignored.  Refunding the points in no way is an apology for the awful experience of sleeping in a smokey odor infested room!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...