19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2011 10:38 AM by ssindc RSS

How to move from "regular" Marriott Rewards VISA to Premier?

jonny99 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello--I have had the "normal" Marriott Rewards VISA for about 8 years. I've recently gotten the offers for the Premier card and it seems like a no-brainer. Does anyone know if there's a way to upgrade my current Marriott card/program to Premier, without applying for a whole new account through Chase? I don't want to wind up with two separate credit cards and have to cancel one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Jon G.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How to move from "regular" Marriott Rewards VISA to Premier?
    jmlowenst Silver

Just call Chase.  I did this a couple of years ago.  Just check the new terms -- they will probably raise your interest rate.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nycedp Gold

I justrecently got the Premier, never had a Marriott card before. there was a lot of fine print about not getting the 50,000 bonus points if you've had a previous card. 

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Jon,

I agree with the other two members who replied.  I got my first Chase Rewards card about five years ago and kept getting solicitations. Finally I saw the difference in benefits (huge, even allowing for the annual fee) and just called Chase and they changed it. I have never for one moment regretted it, and especially with the qualifying night bonus for every $3000 spent on it, it pays itself off in no time. (Plus more qualifying nights added automatically.)

This one, as far as I am concerned is  a no brainer.  Unless someone does not have the credit rating to get the better card, it is a MUCH better deal.

Best, ProfChiara

blava007 Platinum

John G,

You will have to reapply again, also as ProfChiara outlined the yearly fee is higher, but benefits seem to overweight it.   

ssstw1 Platinum

Yes, I did this about a year ago and Chase did not recognize the Marriott tiers, to them it was a NEW card... and so I got a new card and transitioned to it over time then cancelled the old card.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I still have both cards and acquired them by applying for each beginning with the "gray" card followed a couple of years later with the "black" aka Premier card.

I use the "gray" card for many of my internet purchases in order to earn points (albeit a few less) and the "black" card for almost everything else. Keeping the charges separate allows me to easily reconcile my internet-only purchases - just in case the card number is hacked.

Lastly, depending on your FICO score, the Premier card can have a good cap (my limit is $40K - but I pay off the balance every month and come nowhere near this limit) but then I got this credit limit in 2007 long before the housing collapse and tighter credit. Chase may be stingier in the last couple of years - but I suggest you try for a decent limit to cover all your travel expenses earning BUKU points!

PS - Marriott Rewards Activity: the gray card posts points with the description "Mr Visa ....." whereas the black card posts "Premier Visa ...."

srs333 Platinum 1 Reviews

I did the same last year.  They made me apply for the black card and cancel the old one.

stevee Platinum 1 Reviews

I actually did this last year, and was able to keep my same account #, etc...the extra spiffs are well worth it!

stevee Platinum 1 Reviews

Sorry...just saw some of the other posts, and wanted to mention that I got "net" first time points (fair enough)...was a wee bit disappointed that I could not also finagle another free night for the first year...oh, well!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I have had the silver card now for 10 years.  Having read all of these posts, I plan to apply for the card as well.  One question, does my anniversary date stay the same?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

When I called they said I had to wait one year to upgrade.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I got a card in the mail telling me that Chase wanted to offer me an upgrade from the Marriott Rewards Signature Visa to the Premier card. They enclosed a 'private' (according to their info) number to call and a waiting representative would handle the details of the transaction. My number would stay the same...my anniversary date would remain the same...no charge for the upgrade and on and on.

Now, since I (in years past) have charged six figures on the card annually and have paid the bill in full every month (because I would never pay an interest rate associated with a CC), I figured I'd give it a go since they seemed to be wanting to reward me with a better perk card.

Not one person at that phone line destination had any clue what I was even talking about. I'm not kidding. I actually scanned the card and e-mailed it to them and they still had no clue. Blamed marketing......(the not my fault syndrome). By the time I got through this maze of stupidity I had zero desire to ever interact with someone from Chase ever again.

Of course, I stopped using the card altogether when Chase started the promotional madness with someone buying ten packs of gum and getting free nights and thousands of bonus points and wanting me to spend $6500 - $8500 (depending on the offer they sent me) for three months straight to get the same free nights and bonus points as the person buying the ten packs of gum.

I got a call from the Chase executive offices (about four months ago) when I stopped using the card and they agreed that something was wrong with the promotional offers when their best customers were being disadvantaged and angered to the point that it made them stop using the card. Chase lost my business because they told me their loyalty was to inspiring 'new blood' to use the card for more revenue while ignoring (no, penalizing) their best users. I wonder how much all those folks spend now to make up the $8000 or so that I don't spend on the card every month anymore. Come to think of it, when was the last time anyone saw one of those Chase offers?

As a matter of reference, seems to be remarkably similar to the loyalty complaints Pingreeman and others talk about with the 'dilution' of the Platinum status level. Hmmmm........

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I'm fascinated that you received this offer.  I'm dying to know why we didn't....

I just received my new Chase Marriott Premier VISA Card this week in the mail. I didn't get upgraded - I still have my Chase Signature VISA Card (which I've been using for years).  We put everything on that card each month (and promptly pay it off), but, if we're not "heavy users," I don't know what constitutes heavy...

I applied for Premier card for the 50,000 points offered and, more specifically, because I got fed up paying foreign exchange fees on the Chase VISA.  I posted about this decision a while back - most of the feedback I received made it seem like an easy decision.

But now you're making me nervous.  I guess we'll have to see how long it'll take to receive the 50,000 points (or if they ever come at all).

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I got this offer probably a year ago. It sounds like yours was a straight application transaction. I'm sure you'll be fine with getting the points. Mine was supposed to be an upgrade, or so I thought. It actually said I could keep my same number, et al, as I put in the post. It truly was a wierd scenario as it unfolded. I think I may have been one of a few of these that were sent out....because they had no clue what it was when I called them....and most likely put an end to it as it wasn't supposed to happen. It probably was a big lack of communication between marketing and administration, but that should not have become my problem as it did. The other baloney (the charge so much to get free nights and bonus points) was about six months ago (whenever the last Chase deal was). That put me over the top. I stopped using the card. I use other cards to avoid the foreign transaction fee.

• How to move from "regular" Marriott Rewards VISA to Premier?

I think all you have to do is call up and provide the usual info.  I am about to do it as well---probably this weekend.  I am hoping that my card number and anniversary date stay the same.  tTe 30k or 50k points you won't get.  That's only for new card members.  But all of the other benefits you will receive.

Lone6star.... I guess my question is, if you're upgrading, why wouldn't you want the extra points?  Until that day when my wife and I can again take a vacation without the boys (and an extra room, and two additional air fares), I'm not sneezing at 50,000 points....

I would love the 50K points, but according to the fine print that I've reviewed, if you're a current Chase Marriot credit card holder, these don't apply.

Lone6Star - GREAT CATCH - I'm glad somebody read the fine print:

50,000 Bonus Points: ..... This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.

Free Night Stay E-Certificate: ... This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers. Previous and existing Marriott Rewards Credit Card Cardmembers are not eligible for this bonus offer.

Well, my primary justification for the card - to begin with - was the avoidance of the foreign transaction fees and the extra points per dollar - and it looks like I'll still get the: ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY E-CERTIFICATE (which always comes in handy)....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...