10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2011 12:44 PM by iestrikesback RSS

Telephony

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just wondering how many Insiders actually use the in-room telephone that's found in every Marriott or other branded hotel?

In the very distant past I used the small telephone (data) jack on the side to do some very slow dial-up internet stuff, then with the advent of HSI, bundled with all you can dial local and long distance, used the phone all the time as part of the Marriott Wired for Business promotion.

Last year Marriott comped in the Internet for Gold and Platinum Elites but maintained a smaller charge for unlimited phone use. In some hotels it is $2.95 a day.

In most Marriott full service hotels all calls are charged, even toll free access in some.  So, the question is, what value does that instrument have (other than for room to room or emergencies) in the room?  Is there a true need for a regular phone in 2011.

I am certainly not advocating the removal of all phones, but just wondering what the sentiment is for actually using the phone, and why?

Comments?

• Re: Telephony
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Although some hotels worldwide block use of it, I often use Pennytalk to make calls using the hotel phone (it's a toll-free number in each country so there's a small charge to the hotel room cost but much cheaper than using my international cell phone).

However, aside from that, I almost never use the in-phone room except to call to the desk, for room service, or wakeup calls.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I give my wife the room number in case she needs to call me after I've turned my cell phone off at night.  For some, the cell is the only means of communcation.  For me, it's the alternate means.  Keep the in-room phone.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

"Stepping Stones, phone home!"

superchief1 Platinum

I always appreciate the availability of a land line for clearer calls and often use the room phones for incoming or toll free calls. I have had problems with cell phone signals in many hotel rooms, regardless of carrier.

dw152a Gold

Yes, I remember the days of plugging in my fast, 9600 baud modem into the phone to get online. (Actually, I remember the days of 300 baud modems, but that's a different story .) I also remember the days when I gave my wife my itinerary so that she would know where I was and could get ahold of me if she needed to.  Now I just tell her which city I'm going to, and if she wants to get ahold of me she calls my cellphone.

But although I haven't used the in-room phone to make an outside call for a long time (at least 5 years, maybe 10), I believe it may be a safety requirement.  When I had rental property, I was supposed to have a phone in each bedroom.  And every fall, I would have to buy some $8 phones to replace the ones that renters had stolen over the summer.

But I have used the in-room phone to call the front desk.

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

l will use for access to toll-free services and conference calls, plus very ocassionally local calls.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I use it for interacting with the hotel staff (room service, wake up calls, front desk, etc).  Otherwise I use my cell phone.  Typically once I get to the room, the last thing I want is to be on the phone more

hahaha48 Platinum 2 Reviews

i have not use the phones for years

i have a computer whiich has free phone service

I also have a cell phone

The room phone is used once in a long while for receiving calls from those who I do not want to give out my cell phone number

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I use the phone to make sure I'm in the right room (I read the room number just below the push-buttons). Just kidding, but that's about the extent of my use.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Our business books 6-10 rooms at a time, and requires evening work, so we use the phones for room-to-room often.  Also, that phone is more convenient for room service, housekeeping issues, etc. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...