13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2011 3:31 PM by dtraveler RSS

Free parking rewards for Gold/Platinum members?

mrmom9997 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I think the rewards program should give free parking to Gold/Elite members - at least up to 3 days.  Thoughts?

• Re: Free parking rewards for Gold/Platinum members?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Mr. Mom,

Agree it would be great, but I never see this happening.  The hotels so often do not own their garages and would enjoy doing this but have no control over the parking garages.  The liability that must go along with owning a parking garage must be enormous.   When you stay in Chicago, and pay $50 per night to park, even the Iowa City Marriott, does not have control over their garage (City owned, I recently had to move a meeting from there because of the parking cost), as well as a host of other properties.

Frankly, I am still surprised by not just the "Free" parking situation, but Airport Shuttles, seem to be going the way of the "Dodo bird"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry is spot on and I replied to a similar question about this subject a couple of years ago. A lot of the times the property acts as only an intermediary for the parking vendor.

But that's not to say that some properties shouldn't offer it. There are probably hundreds out there that have parking on their own property.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Wouldn't it be nice but as others have said this is normally contracted out to a third party, whose income stream requires folks to pay for the privilege of parking.

In days gone by there were hotels who comped Platinum members for their parking--that was a short-lived experiment, less than a year.  So, consider it part of the lodging business, unfortunately.

mrmom9997 Platinum

good points regarding outsourced garage.  but I would still think some of these properties (if not all) can offer discount parking for the gold/platinum members.

Oh well, I am getting ready to pay for my parking down in newport beach this weekend.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I actually asked the manager of the parking concession at the Santa Clara CA Marriott and his comment was,  'we pay a fee to the hotel to be here and we need to collect fees from parkers in order to make the business profitable."

In that light he's right, but it would certainly be a benefit to us Platinum road warriors if the parking were reduced or comped.

I would start with comping anyone driving a true high mileage Hybrid (not an Escalade) or completely electric car, and then open it to Platinum members.

superchief1 Platinum

Parking is becoming a major expense for many hotels and resorts. Most Marriott Vacation Club resorts offer free parking, even those located on hotel/resort property. For example, Royal, Sabal, and Imperial Palms are all located adjacent to the World Center Resort in Orlando and have free parking. If you are travelling to an area with a MVC, you may want to consider renting a timeshare unit rather than hotel room. In addition to having a kitchen and more space, you will get free parking and internet service.

ricoviaje Platinum

The Marriott Riverside has been offering free parking to me for three years now; can't say the same for other properties. There is the large structure contigouous to the hotel property and it shares space with the Riverside convention Center.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Correct about parking becoming a profit center for hotels.

For those hotels in cities where parking is in very short supply or those near airports where outsiders could potentially park and ride for free, I can see why the hotel charges.

But there is a whole different story for those hotels that are free standing in the middle of nowhere that charge for parking. Case in point is the Grande Lakes resort in Orlando. There is nothing but free space for miles around, yet they have that damned swing arm gate at every turn. It's nothing more than pure profit (or is it greed?).

king563 Platinum

That's a great idea since they are not offering as many perks to Platinum Members this year.

rhammell Silver

I agree. Per day parking charges here in Burbank are ridiculously high and should be waived for gold/platinum members.

hahaha48 Platinum 2 Reviews

i do not think they will do it

too much money lost if they give you free parking

jessee Platinum

These parking rates are a problem for all members. However, being a Platnium member for many years, what is my loyalty worth to Marriott? I build points on business trips to use on personal vacations but the parking fees are stopping me from mini vacations. $37 a day parking in New Orleans is nearly the price of a meal. Do they want business or not?

dtraveler Platinum

I CONCUR!!!  I've thought that for awhile.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...