7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 7:51 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Are we loyal?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In some segments of consumer spending, a recent study found that membership in loyalty programs offsets what is perceived as poor customer service.

Does that mean (as the article implies) that loyalty begets loyalty?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are we loyal?
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

IMO the article nails it.  I wouldn't necessarily put a negative spin on it, just feels right.  No different from overlooking faults in the ones you love, people and or companies you have a commitment to/with get a free pass on some issues.  That's just reality.  As long as it's a mutually rewarding experience, then both parties are happy.  As we have discussed in prior posts, each of us need to personalize what we consider a "rewarding experience".  That said, I can think of many, many times that I opted for a Marriott property MAINLY for the points.......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Well said!

The programs are there,we use them and often only becuase they are there.  Loyalty, like public opinion, is wide but not that deep.  If situations change many of us will head elsewhere.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

unfortunately for society, same as marriages these days.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I am loyal whenever I can be.  Points are a huge part of it -- I won't deny that for a minute.  My problem often is that I stay in places in Europe where there isn't a Marriott in hundreds if not thousands of miles.  Marriott's coverage in Europe is mostly in the UK.  For France, it is almost entirely in Paris.  Italy is a little better spread out, but the one in Venice is only for cruise ships since it's in Mestre outside of the city.  I really would love to see Marriott expand its base in Europe.  I am looking for my next bucket trip to go to southern Spain (especially Granada and Cordoba). There is a Marriott in Malaga, but none in Madrid?  Malaga is closer for me, but probably not close enough.  But how can you not have a Marriott in Spain's capital?

This is a problem I run into frequently, and why I am often short of nights.  Happily Marriott has recognized that I pay a whole lot especially when euros are converted to dollars and I haven't lost status because of a few missing nights.  But is all the expansion going to China and the Far East?

ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Professor, you are ripping through that bucket list in record time!!! 

Marriott is doing a deal to partner with AC Hotels who have properties in Spain, Portugal and Italy.  Supposed to be completed by mid-year.  Then, you should be able to use/accumulate points with them.

Spain is my destination this year if that deal goes through... will be doing central Spain.

I posted an itinerary of my trip to Andalucia on MRI a while ago.  Loved it!  If you do a search here, you should be able to find it.  If not, let me know and I'll dig it up if you're interested.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear NewHilton,

Thanks for the info!  I'm on sabbatical this year so I'm making the most of it.  That's really great news about the new hotels.

ProfChiara

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Professor, very nice!  Enjoy your year!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...