8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2011 11:29 PM by lakeshore RSS

Nazareth and Galilee

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

On the first day of my tours (Jerusalem and Bethlehem were the second day), I went with a small group of Rent-a-Guide tourists with Avram as our guide.  We started by driving toward Nazareth to the Church of the Annunciation.  This is a modern structure build over the 4th century Byzantine church. The lower levels include an altar over the grotto where many Christians believe Mary lived before her marriage to Joseph.

Because of a misunderstanding, two of the women on the tour were Russian and had about 10 words of English between them.  But one indicated to the guide that she wanted to see “Mary’s Well” associated with the Orthodox Church of St. Gabriel.  This turned out to be a bonus for all us, as it contains the spring from which Mary was believed to draw water that she would then take back to her home.

From Nazareth we drove to Tabgha, the “place of seven springs” where it is believed the miracle of the fishes and loaves took place. We then headed to Capernaum, where Jesus is believed to have spent the last three years of his life.  Capernaum was for me the highlight of the tour.   Here you can walk in the ancient synagogue that was built on a site of an older synagogue at which Jesus is believed to have preached.  It is in a beautiful state of conservation.

After an amazing lunch in Magdala, home of Mary Magdalene, we wandered down to the sea of Galilee (more like a large lake according to Avram).  An evangelical Indian preacher was being filmed there standing in the sea giving a sermon.  Finally we went to the Jordan River, where John the Baptist baptized Jesus, even though he was unwilling at first, saying he was not fit to tie Jesus’ shoelaces. Several baptisms were taking place in the Jordan when we arrived.  Amusingly, the river is filled with muskrats who know that lots of tourists come.  I have a photo of a tourist feeding one, but at times as many as six climbed up on the steps! On the way back we passed through the village of Bethany, home to Martha, Mary and Lazarus.

I’ll have more on my final tour later, but am enclosing photos in the order I’ve just mentioned.

• Re: Nazareth and Galilee

More photos of the Church of the Annunciation, St. Gabriel's Orthodox Church and Mary's well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More  of Capernaum and Tabgha

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Finally, Magdala (there's no longer a real city there) and the Sea of Galilee and the Jordan River.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Beautiful, Professor!  Many thanks!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ProfChiar

Beautiful pics!  thanks soooooooo much.

Thanks! I've got one more set to go (Caesarea, Acre, Haifa, and Rosh Haniqra, on the Lebanon border) -- takes some time to upload the photos.  It was my second favorite of the tours after Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

ProfChiara

kahunapremier Platinum

Brings back memories when I visited the Holy Land, was there for 14 days and where I proposed to my fiance.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Oh my!!! Thank you for flooding me with memories and giving me another glimpse of where our Lord walked!!!  My heart bursts with inspiration!!!

God bless you!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...