9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 5:39 PM by eb5147 RSS

Experience with Marriott Gift Cheques

ssstw1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Can you share your experiences with using Marriott Gift Cheques for stays?  We ordered some recently after being told by the Marriott Rewards rep that they could be used for any stay, any rate, aside from specially negotiated or group rates, etc.  Basically that if it could be booked on the marriott.com website, it would qualify.

After a follow up inquiry, we were told by Marriott Reservations that they could NOT be used on any rate aside from listed rates.

After several follow up phone calls and escalations we received conflicting answers from 8 other people along the way.  The final verdict was that they cannot be used on anything other than published rates...

My question is, as I travel on business extensively, I almost always stay on a Corp Rate, or use AAA rates if they are better.  Can the Gift Cheques be used for these rates?  I book the rooms via the Marriott.com site, no special contract, I do not call the hotel to get the rate.

Confused and frustrated... about to send back the Gift Cheques...

Thanks in advance for your insights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Experience with Marriott Gift Cheques
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I used Gift Cheques a year or so ago to pay for AAA rate at Harbor Beach Resort in Ft. Lauderdale.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

girlcpa Platinum 2 Reviews

I have used the Gift Checques for room payment at a couple of different Marriott properties.  I use a government discounted rate, 90% of the time and book on-line.  I have used the checks to pay toward my room and any expenses charged to the room.  Initially I called the hotel I planned to stay at in advance and asked if they took the cheques.  They said yes.  I have not had a problem at all.  You can use the cheques to eat at a restaurant even if you are not a guest there.  Best to call and verify the restaurant is affiliated with the hotel first.

ssstw1 Platinum

Thanks for the quick replies all... this helps... and is as I suspected... but wanted to verify some real world experience!

Anyone have any ISSUES with using them?

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

I did not have any issues the one time I used them, but got a helpful tip from the Marriott associate when I ordered them that I thought I'd share.

You do not receive change from an unused portion, so if you are using them for dining (or anything else on-property), it's best to just charge everything to your room and then pay whith the cheques when you check out.

ssstw1 Platinum

That is a good tip.  We did use them this week and worked fine with a discounted rate on the room.  The only surprise came when the computer told the desk person that it had reached the limit for the transaction after 11 gift cheques were processed... not a big deal for the difference on that stay, but could have been if we had planned to use all 20 at once.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I can hardly believe they couldn't have found a way around that.  CS might be able to help.  I just thought of something.  Prepay with some of them if you know you're going to have a larger bill.  Then use the remainder when checking out.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I've used them for dining during an award stay, and plan to do so again during an award stay in Hawaii this summer.  Per a previous post, charge everything to the room, then use them when checking out.  

consultantjl Platinum

We had problems using Marriott Gift Cheques at the Waikiki Edition last fall.  Planned a week in Hawaii (3 islands) using Points then called and talked to all 3 Marriott properties to verify we could use "Marriott Gift Cheques" for anything charged to the room before we ordered the Cheques.  The Edition was new so when the onsite representitave said he thought it was ok I asked him to verify that we could use "Marriott Gift Cheques" (not a Gift Card I told him).  He called me back an hour later and told me that he checked with management and yes they do honor the Gift Cheques.  We planned on using $200 - $400 as they have a Morimoto restaurant onsite.  When we arrived we tried to use a couple hundred in Gift Cheques to get them on the bill (we didn't like having $2,000 in non refundable cheques laying around) but were told the Edition could not honor "Gift Cheques".  Long story but after spending hours on the phone and talking to local management we were not able to use the Marriott Gift Cheques at the Edition.  Very disappointing.  They did credit our room $100 as they admitted a onsite rep gave us wrong info.

The other Marriot properties were no problems as we billed meals, Luau, Snorkeling trip, and Spa to the room and paid with the Gift Cheques.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

So that means that if you can't charge something to the room, it can't be paid for using the Marriott cheques.  Right?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...