7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2011 10:53 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Berlin - which of the 3 is best

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For those that read the thread about my European road trip, it looks as if it will be leaving Frankfurt and hauling to Berlin for 2 nights on the way back to Amsterdam.  Venice got nixed so its off to a different part of Germany that I've not experienced yet.

Looks like there are 3 properties, I booked the full service Marriott figuring that was probably closest to what there is to see/do based on the write up in the lobby.  I was curious though, as a Plat Premier I am hoping to get some type of upgrade both in Berlin and Amsterdam.  Anyone experienced this?

Any "must dos" in Berlin?  Any "dont waste your time" stuff?  I am sort of a WWII history buff so figure I'll probalby check out some of that stuff but anything anyone has to suggest would be great.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Berlin, Germany
  • Re: Berlin - which of the 3 is best
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Zukracer,

You can't go wrong at the Marriott!  Glitzy location, and hope you get the upgrade!  Have also stayed at the CY (In old East Berlin) and really liked it.  Checkpoint Charlie is within walking distance, and the Spy Museum close by is fascinating.

Berlin is easy to get around if you have a day pass good for rail and bus rides.  Must go to the K-dam area, see the memorial church that was bombed in WWII, and the shopping/food is fantastic.

Make sure if you take a train that you get the right station.  I almost went to the wrong train station on my way to Copenhagen.

Berlin was such a pleasant surprise.  Take the English speaking, private car tour of WWII sights and especially, have fun!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for the tips Jerry

I booked the main Marriott but staying in what was east Germany does appeal, was the CY worth rerouting for a night?

Zukracer,

I do not know what the room rate is at the CY vrs. The Marriott.  But they did upgrade me and It was a lot less money for a couple of guys who were not on expense accounts.  There was a tremendous Irish Pub, and great Italian place that was casual, and Brad Pitt came into one night.  It was really nice but low key and not really expensive.  All within walking distance.  Want a great Brat or Dog, go to this place Lecker Bisson *The one pictured is actually in Munich, but the Berlin one is nicer) pictured in the K-Dam, the best I have ever had!

There was a fascinating tour of a nuclear bomb shelter over by the K-Dam area that was memorable as well!  The Cold War was really a tough time for West Berliner's!

Cool deal, thanks!  We are using points so guess we'll stay with the Marriott.  My buddy says its in the perfect spot (he was just there last weekend) so that works.

Does anyone know if parking is an issue?  In previous trips in the EU and the UK they always had a spot for me as a Platinum member ... one of the perks I guess?  My buddy has as newer corevette so just curious how thats goign to work parking, clearly leaving it in a normal lot will be less attractive.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I stayed at the Berlin Marriott at Potsdamer Platz and it was pure nirvana. The location is probably as good as it gets, a short walk to the Brandenburg Gate, shopping and the subway stop is inches away.

The Executive Lounge was one of the best I've ever been to in the Marriott system (see attached). The lounge also has a few desktop computers available for free to check email and such. This perk alone makes it a worthwhile property.

lydenfam Platinum

Great to hear, we are heading there this weekend with the kids and are looking forwards to it.

Please get us some new photo's and an update on the area!

Enjoy the shopping and sightseeing!  If you want to see something different visit the "Bomb shelter" over in the K-Dam area.  It is most interesting and an easy walk from the K-Dam sightseeing and shopping!

Have a great trip!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...