3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2011 4:44 PM by singerdave RSS

Newspaper Sticker Misleading Promotions

nicerinperson Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

So I see on my USA three times this week "stay 2 nights get 1 night free up to 2 nights" or some such promotion. I check my promotions and nothing, nada. So I go to another computer and search promotions and come across (you may need to be logged out of your MR account):

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/promotion.mi?promotion=MS11

Earn 1 free night for every 2nd paid stay.

See Details

You should never give up on your dreams. So to help you make your travel dreams a reality, Marriott Rewards® is once again offering our popular MegaBonus® promotion.

Here's all you have to do to participate and to get one step closer to the vacation you've always wanted:

Register by selecting the "Register" button or by calling 888-MARRIOTT (627-7468) by March 31, 2011.

Stay at any of more than 3,300 participating hotels between February 1, 2011 and April 30, 2011.

Earn 1 free night for every 2nd paid stay, up to 2 FREE NIGHTS!

- - - -

Checking the T&C I see nothing which indicates one cannot be a part of both promotions at the same time. (See below for T&C).

So why tease me with the sticker promosing one thing and then not allowing me to sign up for both promotions? I'll be finished with the Spring Bonus ahead of time if things happen as they normally do and could easily earn my two nights as well.

It would be nice if someone would either stop the stickers or ensure they are not misleading.

- - - -

http://www.marriott.com/File%20Blocks/MarriottRewards/PromotionCentral/Terms/MS11/US/MS11A_terms.html

Terms & Conditions

Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions:

• Registration is required. Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by March 31, 2011, will earn one (1) free night award at a category 1-4 hotel after every second paid stay made between February 1, 2011, and April 30, 2011, at a participating Marriott® property.
  • Maximum two (2) free night awards earned with this promotion per member.
  • An earned free night award can be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-4 properties for one (1) free night between February 1, 2011, and September 30, 2011.
  • An earned free night award is good for one (1) single or double occupancy standard room only and includes the cost of the hotel room and applicable room taxes only.
  • An earned free night award will be added to the member's account within 3-5 business days after the second qualifying stay.
  • Awards are not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
  • This offer is not transferable.
  • Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit.
  • A stay is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
  • Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member's nights or stay.
  • Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
  • Participating brands include JW Marriott®, EDITIONSM, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®, SpringHill Suites by Marriott®, Residence Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites by Marriott® and Marriott Vacation Club®.
  • Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton, count toward achievement.
  • All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
  • Visit MarriottRewards.com/MegaBonus, call 888-MARRIOTT (627-7468), or call your local Marriott Rewards Customer Support office for complete details.

© 2010 Marriott International, Inc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Newspaper Sticker Misleading Promotions
    viper16 Platinum

I spoke to a rewards rep about the different megabonus programs. I received the offer for points after 20 stays. I will probably just come short of that so I asked about the 2 stays=1night promotion. I was told that I could switch to that but I was sent the original offer based on my history. Since I normally stay enough to reach the bonus level that's why I was sent that one. The benefit to the 2 stays =1 night is obviously a free night with only 2 stays but it is only for up to a level 4 hotel which cuts out most full service hotels. If you normally prefer a full service hotel it probably won't work for you.

I will switch though since a couple free nights is better than getting nothing if I fall just 1 or 2 nights short of the point based megabonus.

I didn't ask about being in both programs at the same time though. Maybe that's a perk they can offer to the platinum premiers since there is not much else they offer that group

Another misleading offer is the one assocaited with the Marriott Rewards Chase card. Last yer if you spent $3000 a month for 3 months you got 2 free nights. This year they have upped that to $6000 for 3 months. The postcards advertising those programs show some great hotels with awesome views but if you look at the fine print the free nights are only for up to a category 4 hotel. None of the hotels listed in their advertising are category 4 - they are all 7 or 8. Just a FYI

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stevee Platinum

I had the same experience...when I called, they said since I was Platinum, I would be working toward the (unachievable) gazillion stays on a Visa card (my compnay insists I use Amex)...BUT, they did "manully" add me such that if I did not hit the # of nights, they would give me the 2 free nights.

Not sure what would have happened if I did not call, though...also, I did call back to remind them when did not see this after the first of the year...again, not sure if I would have gotten had I not called...

singerdave Platinum

In the past, I've made the same request, too, to be switched from the 40,000 points / bazillion nights offer to the superior promotions that were made available to the majority of "ordinary" Marriott members.

This year, I actually got the 1 free night after 2 stays offer / limit 2 offer.

That's equivalent to up to 40,000* points after 4 stays/nights rather than 40,000 points after a bazillion.

* Figure arrived at by using each of the free nights at a Cat. 4 hotel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...