9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 12:35 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Amsterdam Marriott vs. Renaissance

pbaronson Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Planning to be there in March. Do both hotels have concierge lounge/free breakfast and free internet for platinum members? Any preferences for those who have stayed at both recently. It is mainly a leisure trip, not business.

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Re: Amsterdam Marriott vs. Renaissance
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I haven't stayed at either, but the Renaissance is much closer to downtown Amsterdam and the train station and I've read very good reviews of it.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pbaronson,

I like the Ren. because I can get there easiest from the airport to the train station and walk to the hotel.

Amsterdam, is a place that a few days and nights is plenty for me!  I think you can see and do on a reasonable budget.  I have also stayed at the CY at the airport, and it is easy to actually commute from there if your budget is really tight.

Here are some pictures of my favorites, The Ren., Anne Frank's place, my favorite rest. (close to the Ren) and the canal cruise!

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

I stayed at the Renaissance.  I made a report to Jerry and the Prof upon my return which I have copied and pasted here

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel is pleasant upon entering we arrived on June 3.  The front desk upgraded us to a deluxe suite on the top floor [for our anniversary] which was very nice. Even though we arrived at approximately 10 a.m. local time the room was ready and after an over night flight that was nice.  The hotel is in an excellent location a short walk from Amsterdam Central Rail Station.   The CL was open daily with outstanding service for breakfast and dessert in the evening.  The Concierge staff was super the first fellow we met there was Leo Troost, he and the rest of the of the staff, were excellent.  I would recommend this hotel very highly! Took a canal ride to get the overview [Rederi j Lovers Canal Boats www.lovers.nl] took about an hour. Visited Anne Frank’s House www.annefrank.org , a must see! Had dinner within a block of the hotel, Kople Seafood Restaurant www.kopkeadega.nl excellent $$.  Next day went by train Alkmaar [catch train at Amsterdam central about 7.50 euro] for the Cheese Market [cheese market only open of Fridays] very festive to see the carrying out of the large rolls of cheese it is inspected and then sold. On the way back to the city stopped  at Koog Zaandijk where there are about 17 of the original large wind mills which are beautiful and took a boat ride around them, a must for this is how I pictured Holland.  Dinner at Lucius a block form the hotel www.lucius.nl food excellent $$$ service less than desired but the food made up for it [eat outside].  Day three went to Dam Square within walking from the hotel.  The city got is start here on the banks of the Amstel River saw the Royal Palace, Nieuwe Kerk [New Church 600 years old], National Monument an obelisk and ventured on up to the Flower Market.  We were there a little late for the best flowers but still nice. Visited Van Gogh Museum www.vangoghmuseum.com.  We walked through the Red Light District.  We went to Volendam that evening for dinner [take Arrica Bus from back of Amsterdam Central buses either 110, 112, and 116, it is on the water and beautiful!  Two fine restaurants Va den Hogen www.hogen.nl We ate at Old Dutch large serving, more than you can eat and excellent $$.  Day 4 we went from Amsterdam Central via train to the Hague [Den Haag Centraal] approximately 1 hour train ride.  Saw City Center, Binnehof Parliament the Netherlands government is actually in this city not Amsterdam.  Took a Tram ride of 10 minutes out to the International Court of Justice and the Permanent Court of Arbitration. [note the courts are not open of Sundays & Mondays]  Left the Hague and went on by train to Delft beautiful city with old church and new church but remember both are very old.  The Royal Dutch Delftware Manufacturing facility is there.  Dinner back in Amsterdam at Toro Dorado Steak Spulstraat 3rd & N.Z. Voorburgwal 22 www.torodorado.com  Excellent food great service $$. Day 5 went by train to Haarlem nice church there took a canal ride and had coffee on the 7th floor or the V & D Department Store the tallest in Haarlem and an excellent view of the city.  Visited Corre Ten Boon’s Home.  Dinner that evening in Amsterdam @ Savini Ristrorante www.savini.nl excellent food acceptable service within walking of the hotel.  Day 6 took taxi to airport and return.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Judge,

Wow, your report makes me want to go back!

After the Venice report vrs. Amsterdam on the Insider recently, I was ready for Venice, but this report sure sounds like a lot of fun.  My trip to Venice did not impress me.  But it was a long time ago and I was on a tour that was not too much fun, as we tried to do too much in a short period of time!

Thanks again, for sharing this with us!

dynatos Gold 60 Reviews

I have stayed at both city centre hotels on a regular basis.  Both are up to Marriott's high comfort standard and rooms are a good size for Europe but may be considered small by American standards.  Both have excellent Concierge Lounge facilities with complimentary food and internet for Gold/Platinum cardholders.

The Renaissance is a short walk from the Central Station which has a fast rail link direct to Schiphol Airport.  Although the hotel is situated close to the famous canals and not far from tourist shopping districts, the immediate neighbouthood is somewhat downbeat, there is even a mini 'red light' area nearby.  Having said that I have never felt unsafe in the city, even walking alone at night.

The Marriott is located in a more fashionable area and is my preferred choice.  Close to the Leidseplein, which is a popular area for cafe dining and theatre, and not far from cultural venues such as the famous Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh gallery.  Airport access is not so convenient, either an expensive taxi all the way or the local tramline will take you to Central Station to catch the Airport express.

Either hotel is suitable for exploring the city.  The city centre area is quite compact and easily walkable.  Watch out for cyclists though, if you can't beat them - join them by hiring a bike! Take a canal cruise for a leisurely city tour and public transport is cheap and easy to use.  Enjoy Amsterdam!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

RE. Amsterdam: both have the facilities you list, and both lounges have been recently modernised. Choosing betweem them often reflects what you want to do in A'dam: if you are after shopping, night-life, or easy access to airport/station, then the Renaissance might be best; if it's museums, walks, parks etc, then go to the Marriott. Enjoy.Dr Chris Brookes

hardwareman Platinum 2 Reviews

My wife and I have stayed at both and I find the convenience of the Renaissance to be the reason for preference versus the Marriott. You hop off the train from the airport and you are right there, two blocks away from the hotel. Yes the Marriott is in a more upscale area, but the nice true European feel of the R and their service brings us back as we stop in Amsterdam on our way back to the states.

leslie Platinum 2 Reviews

I  have stayed in both and they are both good but will now only use the renaissance .The lounge is excellent ,Rooms are not large but that is Amsterdam.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Other Amsterdam threads:

Amsterdam Rennisance

Amsterdam Advice

Amsterdam Rennisance

Kudos to the Renaissance, Amsterdam

Amsterdam Rennisance

Amsterdam property

Upcoming Trip to Copenhagen, Brussels, Bruges, Amsterdam and Dusseldorf

Amsterdam Marriott Advice

Amsterdam- Marriott or Renaissance

Amsterdam/Ghent transportation

Help Me Decide Which Marriott

Amsterdam

Europe Train Travel

where is the best amsterdam marriott property to stay close to the red light district?

Amsterdam Hotels

Tulip Time

Amsterdam Rennisance

Amsterdam - Anyone have suggestions for hotels

Traveling through amsterdam in August in route to bucharest- only one night stop over .any suggestions for dinner/ sightseeing for one day/evening in amsterdam between flights? Any suggestions for shortday trips or evening things to do in bucharest

Which of the Marriotts in Amsterdam is more pedestrial friendly for local touring?

i have 86000 points and i plan to travel to amsterdam for 7 night , i would like to use my points to reduce the cost of my stay , whenever i tried in the past to order an executive room with my point i got to dead -endi can i use my points ?

One of the Best Hotels

AMS

jerrycoin@aol.com

Arkwright

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel                    http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/amsrd

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel                              http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/hotels/amsnt

Holland & Belgium                                          http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1394

Amsterdam and Vienna

Amsterdam  and Basel weather in October?

The Bench - a restaurant in Pebble Beach

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...