10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2011 5:28 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

About the new MVCI points program

primetime Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We just sat through a presentation for the new MVCI 'rewards' program and are very unhappy.

The short of it seems that if we are not willing to pay a great deal of money for a 2 or 3 bedroom place, we lose exchange rights.  The whole Interval International system, Platinum weeks and so forth does have its difficulties but now we, who do not have a large family and prefer to use 1 bedroom exchanges, will be out in the cold.  Why can't Marriott understand that not all MVCI owners have huge families and that couples might also like to go to nice properties?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: About the new MVCI points program
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Primetime and welcome to Insiders.

My wife and I own multiple weeks of Marriott timeshare. We're skeptical about the cost of the new points-based DC and decided not to enroll after a presentation last September.  Do you currently own a 1 br? Are you encountering problems exchanging?  Kindly be more specific.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

I do not understand your comment about needing to paying "a great deal of money"  or that you lose exchange rights. Are you currently Marriott time share owners? My wife and I (no kids) own 4 weeks and have been able to get what we want through Marriott and II. I admit I have not yet used the new points program, but we did sign up because it will save us money, $199/year and that is it, no more nickle and dime for everything.

I question if any of the Marriott sales people can really make a good presentation of the new program.  For a very reasonable discussion of the new DC program, I suggets you go to:

http://www.mvci.timesharewizard.com

and read all the discussions since June 2010.

Curious One

tjcnewyork Platinum

Never came across this before.  Is http://www.mvci.timesharewizard.com hosted by Marriott Vacation Club or a 3rd party?

curiousone Platinum

That is hosted by a third party, not Marriott.

Curious One

tjcnewyork Platinum

The 2011 Predictions for the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations include advice that intuitively makes sense.  I'm confused though by the statement, 'Marriott seems to have a winner on its hand'  while at the same time advising, 'Don't buy or sell a timeshare week or unit or Points or whatever'.

Isn't that a contradiction?

curiousone Platinum

There was a lot of discusion that preceded that particular statement. But in a nut shell, don't buy or sell Marriott time shares until all the dust has settled. As a multiweek Legacy owner I agree with Perry. With the new DC Points I have a lot of flexibilty that I did not have before. Unfortunately, Marriott picked a bad time to make the change (middle of a deep recession), they did a poor job of releasing the product and they still are not able to answer all the questions that customers have. I am confident that over time it will all shake out as a very good program.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I'd like to know how, in less than a year of a new program, and with all the skepticism that surrounds this 'new' program and with many unhappy legacy owners as TJC has pointed out on numerous occasions in reference to the Marriott on the Move blog, how, how, how it can be determined that Marriott has a 'winner on it's hands'? I own multiple timeshare weeks; I went through the new program presentation; I was extremely disappointed with both the presentation skill and knowledge base exhibited by the associate who ran me through it. Very confusing.

After extensive 'new program' investigation and determined digging on my own, I have found the program to be a creation of a metric to get points used and lower the outstanding balances that Marriott has on their books for redemption. In no instance that the associate brought me through or in my research could they, or I, find an equitable trade for my owned units without my having to use (spelled out buy more points or trade multiple years) MORE than the value I was trading.

In addition, if the new system points are not used in a DEFINED period of time, they expire. Spelled: you LOSE them. In addition, one still gets to pay the maintenance fees for something they don't even have deeded rights to. It's just point shares.....that EXPIRE.

I could go on and on and on, but my bottom line is....

I don't call that a winner..... that's just my opinion.

tjcnewyork Platinum

TEF,

Very Impressive!  Quite honestly, with minor exception I didn't think anyone was paying attention or even cared. Thank you for being so candid.  It's not only refreshing, it's bold - considering the 'fear of reprisal' that owners whisper and closely guard among themselves.

To this date, more than eight months after the June 20th launch of the Destination Club, Marriott has not obtained a license to solicit New York residents.  (State and Legal Disclosures) Marriott can solicit NY residents on legacy resorts that are not sold out.  But, Marriott is selling points not weeks.  So, the impact is massive confusion on top of disaster.

Not only are NY residents excluded from receiving marketing collateral, we are also excluded from the discounted Preview Sales Packages.  Our ownership spans nearly 18 of the 26 years MVCI has been in business.  We have referred many family members and friends who purchased.  Although we were all once very happy owners, we are now very uncomfortable about referring anyone.

The legacy Marriott Vacation Club business model relied heavily upon the trust and confidence of highly-satisfied owners referring qualified friends and family.  By qualified, families with combined income that could afford to purchase and pay a hefty maintenance fee every year.  A qualified referral model, IMHO - is a winning business model.

As for Marriott-on-the-Move, the post, Providing Our Timeshare Owners with More Flexibility continues to draw owner comments and crossed the 250 mark last month.  That is the highest number of replies to any single blog post by Mr. Marriott.

Quoting the most recent entry posted on 2/7/2011:

"Bill, Like Obamacare, the more familiar customers become with the Marriott Destination Points program, the more frustrated and unhappy they will become. This is a GREAT program for Marriott and a LOUSY program for owners. I am posting my dissatisfaction all over the web on any blog I can find. The program is hard to use and very inflexible, contrary to your advertising. Have someone contact me and I will describe in detail the problems I have had. I doubt you will fix it, focusing instead on finding the next su*cker, but I think it only fair for you to know why you are being blasted."

In my humble and respectful view, that doesn't sound anywhere close to a referral nor does it sound like a success story.   As announced January 28th, the recent appointment of a new Chief of Human Resources at Marriott Vacation Club heralds possibly more of the same, as MVCI tries to shuffle and reallocate resources focused on selling and supporting a product that bears little resemblance to a silk purse.

In the meantime, my wife and I are agreed to hold onto our legacy weeks knowing that our ownership is protected under very tough federal and state statutes.  If anyone is aware that that is false reassurance - do speak up.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

TJC:

I think there are a lot more folks paying attention to your postings about this new program than you might think. I applaud your effort to spell out what you have found in regards to it. I hope you will continue. For myself, I will always 'call 'em as I see them' when I post without fear of reprisal. If I'm told I can't be here, so be it.

I find your commentary of 'the legacy MVC business model relied heavily upon the trust and confidence of highly-satisfied owners referring qualified friends and family' to be spot-on. I, for one, spoke volumes about the MVC program not only to F&F, but also to people I would meet or enter into a discussion with while vacationing or traveling somewhere all the time. I would have no idea how many of those folks bought a MVC timeshare because of those discussions. Like you, because of this 'new deal', we now are uncomfortable discussing MVC any longer with anyone.

Further of your commentary regarding 'By qualified, families with combined income that could afford to purchase and pay a hefty maintenance fee every year' points to another issue that is weighing on the value of timeshare. Like you, we have also been a member of the MVC family since I believe the late 80's or early 90's. Remember the pitch....  a low cost way to spend a week away that could take you to so many places on this planet. Not that way anymore. The, IMHO, incredible maintenance increases of past years I consider to be outrageous. What bothers me the most is the increases in directly related items to the Management company...and we all know who that is. 

The new 'Chief of Human Resources' was one I did not know about. I find it interesting that the resume points lists the kudo of 'played a key role in the recent repositioning of the business'. The new Destinations Club program? I see your reasoning that this move 'heralds possibly more of the same'.

I sincerely hope that when the Insiders re-launch is done that a timeshare forum is established......but will Marriott be prepared for the postings?

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/WalkinOurShoes-1.jpg

"I sincerely hope that when the Insiders re-launch is done that a timeshare forum is established......but will Marriott be prepared for the postings?"

TEF

It's not a panacea, but I agree that implementing some type of  MVC forum within Marriott Rewards Insiders would be a positive step forward and one element of a much larger owner care solution.

Imagine how challenging, costly and ineffective it must be to cover all bases.  With 410,000 estimated legacy owners posting all over the internet, there is huge benefit to redirect owners, consolidate content and centralize feedback in a setting like Insiders which is accessible only to Marriott Rewards members, invisible to the search engines and moderated 24/7.

Consistent w/ the theme of 'Walk in Our Shoes', providing MVC owners with their own 'online clubhouse' would provide a place where owners can exchange vacation stories while celebrating the value of vacation ownership with Marriott.  More than that, it gives them a place to experience and perhaps reclaim the benefits of being loyal to a great family of brands integrated under Marriott Rewards.

From Marriott's perspective, there is significant advantage to knowing what their most loyal guests and owners want and expect of the brand.  Plus, Marriott would have all that user-generated content to drive marketing, promotions and sales forward.

On a positive note, it sounds like a winner.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...