2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 8:48 PM by globalman RSS

Shanghai Renaissance

mrgeee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are planing a trip to Shanghai for pleasure. I want to stay at a Renaissance Hotel. Does anyone recommend which one as being in a good tourist area? Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, China
  • Re: Shanghai Renaissance

The city of Shanghai has an excellent transportation system and subway that makes it easy to get anywhere in the city in a short time.   There is a Renaissance in PuDong which is the newer part of the city where the Pearl TV tower is located.  It is a beautiful area and many things to do.   It is also right across the river from the Bund which is the old financial area.   If you want to stay in the old section of the city then the Renaissance in YuYuan (Yu Gardens) is very nice and right smack in the middle of the tourist areas.    Many shops, stores, restaurants, and even a Starbucks!    PuDong is much closer to the airport if that's important to you.   I have stayed in both of these and they are both very nice.   The nicest hotel that I have stayed in is the Marriott at Tomorrow Square.   The lobby is on the 32nd floor and the hotel is from that floor up.  Very nice hotel and in the middle or most things to see.   It is also at the beginning of Nanjing Road that has lots and lots of shops, bars, and very active and lit up at night.   BTW, in the old days it used to be called the Silk Highway.    It is just behind the Bund and very close to Yu Gardens.    If I was to make a recommendation, I would say the Marriott at Tomorrow Square since it's central to the whole city and walking distance to almost everything you might want to see.   By the way, my wife is Chinese and we have a home in China and are there often.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Shanghai Renaissance
    globalman Platinum

YuYuan is very good.  Very good location.  Also, very good dinner (buffet) - even the upscale locals come here to eat. Concierge (very good) will direct you to the best local shopping you desire - cheap knock offs or trendy one offs.  Lots to choose from.  On the back of the hotel business card is the shopping sites - just circle and show your taxi driver where you want to go to and shop till you drop  ...taxi's are cheap and safe.  Enjoy!   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...