26 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2016 8:31 PM by NeoTrinity RSS

Paris, France

wjp2022 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am traveling to France in October and wish to have suggestions on where to stay a couple of nights in Paris and a week outside of Paris.

• Re: Paris, France
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

WJP,

You may want to research previous information on Paris on the Insider.

Please think about your budget and search the web-site of Marriott choices.

For your rural hotel, please consider the Marriott at Disney.  It is easy to get to and easy for you to get to other tourist areas East of Paris.

Let me know if I can help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brianwh Gold

I would recommend the foolowing Hotel as I stayed there a few years ago. It is in a quiet area.

Renaissance Paris Le Parc Trocadero Hotel

It is central and near the Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysees. It is currently being renovated and should be shiny new by October.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Outside of Paris, if you've got a whole week, I would suggest the Loire Valley (maybe stay in Chinon or Orléans) or Burgundy (Dijon is a wonderful city from which you can easily visit other places).  Should you decide on either, I can give advice on hotels, etc.  If you like wine, I'd pick Dijon, because some of the best wine tastings anywhere are in nearby Beaune.

ProfChiara

whitefish Platinum 5 Reviews

In April 2010 my wife and I stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club outside of Paris for a week while participating in the Paris Marathon.  Great place with villas, kitchens, etc., but if you do not have a car you will need to take a bus to the train station at Euro Disney to get into Paris.  When we got stuck in Paris due to the volcano eruption and could not leave for a week, we stayed at the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe hotel.  Great location, but pricey if using points.  Very modern, recently renovated with very friendly staff.

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

The MVC had a shuttle to Disney and the train. It was very convenient.

Jep,

Yes, the shuttle is the way to go!  I opted to drive to LaDefense from EuroDisney Marriott, BIG MISTAKE!  I wanted to see how easy it was on the RER, and it was very nice.

Thanks for the tip, that shuttle saves a lot of time and money for a family.  Here's a photo of entrance to my room at The Marriott ED. Very nice!FH050032.jpg

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi Jep and Jerry,

I called the MVC at Bailly-R about a month ago.  Unfortunately, they do not provide a shuttle to the train station or Paris Disneyland anymore.  She told me we would have to take the bus, which stops at the front of the entrance to the property.  Here's the thing:  depending on where you stay on the property, you are anyway from about a quarter to a half mile (or more) from the entrance to the property.  So you have to walk a bit (no biggie, but we'll have the babies this time around).  Then you wait for the bus (bus #34, I've done the research), which comes every 15 minutes, depending on day of week and time of day.  Take the bus to the train station (a few stops inbetween).  Then wait for the train (I would imagine not long), then to Gare de l'est, then transfer again depending on where one is going.  So when I added it all up, I figured that realistically, it would be a good hour in to Paris, and a good hour back to the property.  Since my time is short (6 days), I don't want to spend that much of it going to/from.  Because of that, we are staying in Paris this time out.  I would enjoy staying at Bailly-R in the future, when I can stay longer and can just enjoy a relaxing time in that area.

Lori,

Where are you going to stay in Paris?

We can help you once we know!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Make your reservations before 3/15/12 or else you'll get hammered with the additional points needed!

NeoTrinity Platinum

the Marriott Village at d'ile de France is somewhat "outside the radar" for MVC owners, I think it deserves more attention. I have stayed there with my children & grandchildren over a dozen times even before I became an owner. The amenities and local attractions are more than many other places that we have stayed at and also a greater variety. Valle de Europ is very convenient as well as the local markets, restaurants and bakeries.

faraway Gold

I stayed at the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe with my daughters last June.  The location was great, close to the metro and on a nice street with many great cafes.  The hotel rooms were modern and very comfortable.  The staff was welcoming and very helpful, excellent service at all levels!  We would definitely stay again.

versel Alumni Steward Platinum

We just got back from a trip to Paris. We stayed at the Renaissance Vendome and it was fantastic. Helpful, friendly staff. Great location. Walking distance to Louvre, Concorde, Tuileries and right next to a stop for Metro line #1 so it's very easy to get anyplace else in the city.

As for the time outside of Paris, Prof's suggestions are good. The Loire valley is great. I also like Normandy/Brittany quite a bit. There are no Marriott properties in the area, but the American Cemetery and Memorial near Colleville-sur-Mer is worth a visit. It's beautiful and sobering at the same time. Mont-Saint-Michel is also very nice and was designated as a UNESCO world heritage site. It's a bit touristy (t-shirt and trinket shops), but if you stay on the actual island, all of that shuts down early evening and it's quite peaceful. The abbey has to be seen to be appreciated.

cincinnatikid Gold 1 Reviews

Does Arc de Triumphe have a concierge lounge?

No,

They did provide free breakfast either in the room, or in the restaruant.  It was a great experience, Anne, brought our room service everyday, and was so cheerful and helpful.  Going back in May.

IMG_1651.JPG

cincinnatikid Gold 1 Reviews

Thanks!

Here's one idea, I did, and it was a great trip.

Went from Paris on the RER to EuroDisney.  Rented a Hertz car at the train station.  Easy drive to Loire Valley, toured many places and really enjoy Sancerre.  It is a walled city, famous for it's vin blanc.  I heard it was Hemingway's favorite.  You can go where you want, and take the car back to the RER station and relax on the train back to Paris, or go to somewhere else and turn the car in there.

Like the Professor says, and I know from too many experiences, DO NOT attempt to drive in/near Paris, unless you are very experienced.  I promise you, you will regret that experience.

Good luck, here are some pictures of the trip, and do not hesitate to ask for more details, should you need them.  The Eurostar also runs to EuroDisney.  The last few pictures are nice places to shop and stay in Sancerre.  Enjoy!

IMG_0547.JPGIMG_0548.JPGIMG_0549.JPGIMG_0550.JPGIMG_0552.JPGFH050028.jpgFH050029.jpgFH050030.jpgFH050031.jpg

Greetings Jerry,

Your recommendation to take a drive to the Loire Valley sounds like a really great idea, one I hadn't considered.  Do you think it's necessary to make an advance reservation for the car rental or easy enough to just hire on the spot?  I am wondering if possibly Versailles may be a closer launching point than Marne-la-Vallee - Chessy?  I might inquire into renting a car from there.  I have never been to the Sancerre area, but read about Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc when I was researching Loire Valley wines.  Since my reading, I happened on a bottle at a restaurant/wine market (3rd Corner Bistro - excellent!) down in Encinitas, CA recently.  It was very good wine. 

I believe I read in another of your posts elsewhere that one could easily do a day trip to see the sights in Normandie.  It seems rather far and with much to see in one day.  How was that?

Many thanks.

Lori,

Thanks for the questions!

Yes, I would make a car reservation, remember Marriott PP get's you a special deal with Hertz.  Yes, Versailles is an easy RER trip from near the Eiffel Tower to Versailles is an easy trip. (Note pictures).  I just don't know if their is a Hertz rental close to where the train stops. 

Now for a trip to Normandy, I have always driven from The Renaissance La Defense, and it is an easy drive.  However, as I shared with the Professor yesterday, MAKE SURE, you know exactly how to get back to your hotel.  Their are nice tours from Paris to Normandy, but I would rather go on my own.

These pictures are from my afternoon trip from Marriott C-E to/from Versailles, hope you enjoy, and bring on more questions! Comped eggs benedict at the C-E to start the day!  And a Bud Light on The C-E to end it!IMG_0535.JPGIMG_0537.JPGIMG_0539.JPGIMG_0540.JPGIMG_0541.JPGIMG_0543.JPG

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

Nice pictures.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to take pictures of the meals we have when we're abroad.  Sometimes we laugh when we get home and see how many pictures we took of our meals.  If we showed all those to people when we showed them the pictures of our trip, I'm afraid they would think that all we did was ate for the whole trip!

tryt,

Yes, I enjoy taking shots of the food, and now I am taking pictures of the room numbers.  Sometimes, I can actually request the same room if I like it!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Good idea.  We remembered the room we had last time we were in Mexico and planned to ask for it again.  Not that it was anything more wonderful than anything else, but we knew what we had and liked it and didn't want to take a chance for next time.  Now I'll start taking pictures of room numbers too.  I already take pictures of the lot and stall numbers when we park, especially when we go on a long trip.  Makes it so much easier to remember where you left the car in some big parking garages that have multiple levels and multiple towers!

Jerry, These are wonderful pictures.  You know, I guess I made an assumption that you did day trips by car to Loire and Normandie, but maybe you did stayovers.  If you did day trips, how doable were they?

No, I wouldn't drive from Paris, which is why I was impressed by your idea of hiring a car at a train station outside the city.  (Unfortunately I am not PP or even a P, and it's highly doubtful I ever will be, but that's okay.)  I did a bus trip to Loire chateaux one year.  It was a bit pricey, but worth it, as the tour guide was wonderful.  I would love to go back on my own though (drive) and visit a winery or two.  Normandie seems pretty far (too far?) for a day trip.  What do you think?

Yes, the breakfast at the CE is very good.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Lori,

If you're considering renting a car for 3 or more days, look into renting through kemwel.com or autoeurope.com.  They are brokers.  I usually get the better deal through kemwel.com although I don't know why since they are sister companies.  If you find a better deal on one, the other will match it.  And, you don't typically have to take the additional collision damage insurance.... you're credit card should cover it.  Just check to be sure... it doesn't cover it in Ireland and Italy, as far as I know, but these sites do cover it.

If renting for more than 17 days, consider a Peugeot lease in France.  You can do that also through these brokers.

Have a great trip!

You'll have to give us all the details when you finalize it!

newhilton,

Great advice, thanks!

suetemp Platinum

I have stayed at the Vendome property numerous times at it is lovely - friendly staff, very convenient for sightseeing in Paris.  Stayed in the Trocadero property last time.  Very nice, friendly staff....not as convenient as Vendome but it was quieter and seemed more Parisian in feel.... Enjoy your trip.  We went to the Loire Valley, Rocamadour, Lourdes, Tours, Rouen, Normandy, Versailles.....enjoy the experience.   So much to see and take in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...