7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2011 8:04 PM by stevep RSS

The new Courtyard

mikebham Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I recently had the unpleasant experience of staying at a Courtyard that had been done in the 'new' design. After staying at many Courtyards over the past 30 years, I was disgusted to see what they have become. Rooms are still comfortable, but that new lobby is goofy. The restaurant concept. the 1/2 bar /1/2 deli style restaurant served what I considered the worse food I've ever experienced in connection with a hotel/motel stay. The one size fits all type menu supposedly offers an extremely limited selection suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  For the looks of the 3/4 full servings left on plates across the restaurant at dinner time, I don't believe anyone had a culinery experience.

Unfortunately, the experience cost me a free-nite certificate and 15,000 Marriott points for my 2-nite stay. The net result is I will definately not stay in another Courtyard. I now consider the Fairfield Hotel a grade higher than Courtyard. Hope that's what you intended.

I had intended to voice my opinion on the customer satisfaction survey. Unfortunately, the email I received thanked me for my stay at the Marriott Airport in Venice! Not the Courtyard in downtown Birmingham, AL ????

Sorry Marriott. As far as I'm concerned, you blew it!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
  • Re: The new Courtyard
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://marriott.typepad.com/.a/6a0105371d44b0970b013485f9476e970c-320wi

Above:  Taste-testing panel for the Courtyard Bistro at work

Thanks for the candid feedback.  In general, renovated Courtyard rooms are comfortable, but the new lobby is as you say, best described as, 'goofy'.  Where we really stand shoulder-to-shoulder is regarding the food.

What's so ironic is that Marriott is very disciplined when it comes to menu development.  Quoting, 'Marriott in the Kitchen', "The Courtyard Bistro has to be the fastest growing restaurant concept in the US. In three short years the concept has grown from a single hotel in Fairfax, Virginia to now nearly 160 nationwide".

Considering your comments, that's 160 properties crossed off the Must Stay list.  Do consider posting a candid comment at 'Marriott in the Kitchen'.   It might raise some eyebrows, but most importantly, cause Marriott to rethink not only the Bistro concept, but the process of menu development as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Cascade of mistakes in the Marriott world I would say, and please let us know if there is any communication from Marriott on this.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Sounds like you found a dud!  I stay at CY only occasionally, but I've been impressed overall with the new look at both the new CY in West Omaha and the renovated CY in Clive/West Des Moines.  I will say, however, that I have only eaten breakfast at the Bistro, but the beer selection suits my fancy.  Better luck with FFI.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Good reminder, NUHusker.  The Courtyard Boardwalk Ocean City, Maryland is less than 2 years old.  Instead of the Courtyard Bistro, the CYBoardwalk has a separate restaurant, the Captain's Table, a full-service venue offering breakfast, lunch and dinner.  The service is top notch and the food is delicious.

mikebham Silver

No reply from Marriott to date, and no, I have not stayed at another Courtyard.

mikebham Silver

Ya know - - -  ""The Courtyard Bistro has to be the fastest growing restaurant concept in the US. In three short years the concept has grown from a single hotel in Fairfax, Virginia to now nearly 160 nationwide". 

- - - doesn't mean they are good, or that cusomers like them, just that Marriott has converted nearly 160 nationwide.

stevep Platinum

Agree on the comments on the new resturaunt sysle.   I frequently stay at couryards and always do the normal buffet breakfast.  The new style is not nearly as good and one I don't intend to use going forward.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...