12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2011 10:47 AM by marshallp RSS

Rollover Nights

lesliepamel Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was pleased to see the introduction of rollover nights. However, Marriott  operates in a very strange way when dealing with rollover nights..

In 2009/10 I was able to maintain my platinum status because I had stayed 75 paid nights. My extra nights rolled over to this year-2010/2011. When at year end I was also able to maintain my platinum level as I had stayed and paid for 75 nights.

However, as my rollover nights had been acquired in 2009, I am not allowed to use them any longer and they have been removed from my account, even though as such they had never been used, and I have never acquired an benefit from them.

What I would require is to be able to use rollover nights to enable me to have an account with some credit therein, so in those years that I am not able to acheive 75 nights paid, then I could call on my rollover account to assist me - no matter what year the nights were acquired

The best way to explain this is to say that I have rollover points currently in my account. But in each of the last two membership years I have not found it necessary to use them as I acquired sufficient paid nights to maintain the platinum level. If in the  year 2011, I am not able to accumulate  enough paid nights to enable me to have platinum membership in 2012, it would be really good to be able to call upon my credit of nights to help me. However I cannot do this as Marriott has expunged all of my rollover nights, and I therefore have no credit for being a loyal customer to Marriott.

Or is there something sinister in this...Is Marriott going to stop members rolling over excess nights?

Below is the letter that I received from Marriott on this subject:

Roll Over nights is a complimentary service from the company in order to motivate our guests to keep their fidelity.

The program works in a Calendar Year. Normally when the year is finished, the nights will be gone and guests will need start again with the nights in order to change levels.

The nights from 2009 is not valid for 2011.

The Roll Over nights is only the nights from the previous year.

You have 104 nights in 2010 - You need deduct 75(Platinum Status) valid until 31/01/2012

The rest of nights is from 2009.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover Nights
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Andrew (of Marriott) offered to look into each account--IM and see if he can help

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

homesick Platinum

Here is the resonce I received from Customer Service...

"We understand you are concerned about the calculation of the Elite Rollover Nights and information you previously received regarding the number of nights that would roll over.

The decision was made not to count rollover nights from previous years.  To determine the number of nights that rolled over, take the total number of nights you accrued in 2010, subtract the amount of nights that rolled over from 2009, and then subtract the number of nights needed for your status.  The remaining nights rolled over to the 2011 total."

Not pleased at all with this.  Prompted me to look at other hotels.

lesliepamel Platinum

I foresaw the rollover as a way of building credit to be used in those years when there was insufficient nights to renew your elite level. Marriott rules require that if rollover points are not required they remove them from a members account. Truly what difference does it make if Marriott left the credit in the account for 10 or 20 years, or until it was needed? 

Below is a letter received from Marriott.

This benefit started in 2009/2010.Whereby nights earned in excess of the Elite requirement were rolled over to 2010 but those nights do not carry over to 2011.

Only the "paid" nights achieved in excess of the Elite membership for 2010 will transfer over to 2011 and 2009 night are taken off.

There is no specific points in the Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions, only the link from the website which explains how it works basically on each separate year, any excess night from 2010 will not roll over to 2012.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/eliterollover.mi

You have 104 nights in 2010 - You need deduct 75(Platinum Status) =  29 nights from 2009 will not roll over to 2011.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/thread/6024&start=15&#msg14000018471

Leslie and homesick -- this is the link to Andrews offer to help.

brianwh Gold

My concern is that having reached Gold Status last year, due to stays and Events that I booked and paid for. I am only being credited in rollover with 7 nights, not the event nights at all?

I had to ring up as my rollover was 0, and despite agreeing with my comments it still is 0, even the agreed 7 is not on my account yet??

noclue Platinum

I agree with you and I hope Marriott will rethink their current policy. I thought I had 22 nights in excess of my Platinum status that would roll over this year. They didn't. I contacted them and they agreed to roll those nights over but I think this was a one time thing.

Here's the thing. I had several trips right at the end of the year and went out of my way to stay at Marriotts so that I could get more rollover nights. I went as far as staying in a Marriott during a convention that was being held at another hotel chain. Not very convenient but I thought it would pay off. Those 22 nights would have been a waste if someone at Marriott wasn't kind enough to let them roll over.

Marriott, I love you, but you need to let every one of those stays count towards my status.

hawaiiowner Platinum

This way of handling rollover nights is DIRECTLY CONTRARY to what the Marriott Concierge posted on Flyer Talk early in 2010.  IMO it is just the latest in a series of things that shows Marriott is no longer the customer friendly and high integrity company it used to be.  This is most evident in its "screw you" attitude toward its most loyal customers.  And it is worst in the timeshareb division, where the best customers have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars.

tjcnewyork Platinum

MVCIOwner

Thanks for your post and reference to FlyerTalk.  You are correct.  Kindly take a look at the discussion Rollover Nights Have a one year life beyond the year earned and scroll to a message posted on January 11 by Marriott for an update on Rollover Nights:

Good Afternoon, all.

I just wanted to share with all of you a message we had recently posted on the FlyerTalk discussion surrounding this - the message below had been posted by a representative from Marriott Rewards Customer Care.

Greetings,

As promised earlier I am responding to this thread. When we posted stating that roll over nights from the previous years would roll over we were acting on the information we had at the time. The decision has recently been made not to count roll over nights from previous years. What this means is that to determine the number of nights that should have rolled over you will take the total number of nights you accrued in 2010, subtract the amount of nights that rolled over from 2009, and then subtract the number of nights needed for your status. What is left will roll over.

I understand that many of you feel betrayed by this decision especially based on what we said earlier. If you made stays counting on those nights rolling over, please contact me with your account number and I will make sure that your roll over nights from 2009 are added just as you expected and just as we promised they would. Those of you who have already contacted me do not need to send another request I will start on those first. This is a manual process and based on the number of request I anticipate receiving I anticipate it may take a couple of weeks to get them all completed.

For those of you that would like to get in contact with Customer Care regarding this issue via Insiders, please send me a private message and I will be sure to have it sent immediately to the appropriate Customer Care personnel.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Regards,

Andrew

Feel free to post back for instructions on sending Marriott aka Andrew a Private Message.

lesliepamel Platinum

TJC,

Feel free to post back for instructions on sending Marriott aka Andrew a Private Message.

marshallp Platinum

How can I contact Andrew regarding the possible saving of my rollover nights?  I was deeply dissapointed to lose them (13) especially after reading how they would not be lost.

tjcnewyork Platinum

To send Andrew aka Marriott a Private Message:

1. Click Marriott (a new window opens)
    2. In the Title, type 'Rollover Nights'
    3. In the Message area, provide your Marriott Rewards account information including your Name and ID#.  Also provide an e-mail address or preferred method of contact.
    4. Click Send Message (the screen displays, New Message Posted)

Hope this helps.

marshallp Platinum

TJC,

Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...