9 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2015 10:19 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

1980s recollections of Club Marquis & Marriott Honored Guest

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

From the dusty archives (Thanks Google News)

A September 1984 article from the LA Times syndicate (reprinted here) quotes Roger Dow, Vice President for Marketing Services at Marriott Hotels, that Honored Guest, which had previously been available by direct mail to business travelers, was now being made available to the general public. No date for the change is given in the article.

The New York Times in a travel section article from 1985 reported

"The (Marriott) Honored Guest program awards a basic 100 points for each room night plus 10 points for each dollar charged to the room, including the room rate, restaurant and bar bills and purchases in the hotel gift shop. Points also are earned by flying certain airlines and renting cars from Hertz. In addition, bonus points are awarded for many things, such as stays at specific hotels, stays at certain times of the year or referrals of friends or business associates to the program. Awards range from a free weekend night plus an upgrade on a car rental (17,500 points), to 11 free nights plus two round-trip economy tickets anywhere on the system of a participating airline plus a week's rental of a full-size car (150,000 points). When you reach 20,000 points, you become a member of Marriott's preferential Club Marquis program, guaranteeing, among other things, a payment of $200 if the room you have reserved is unavailable."

Ah, those days of yore, of big hair, Arena Rock, and Club Marquis!  Rock on!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 1980s recollections of Club Marquis & Marriott Honored Guest
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Bringing back memories from the old site and happier times...enjoy!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Great to share this one!

I remember filling out the application to join the Marriott program at the then new, Charleston W Va. Marriott.  It was a great place!  Isn't it funny how "Small doors open up to big rooms"!  That was at least 25 years ago!  What a great "Ride", this has been!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

1984 ??? Whew.   Anyway, My first trip using points included two round trip tix on USAir, 50% off a Hertz rental, and 7Nights at Camelback in Arizona. I felt pretty good cashing in that bounty. It hooked me on the whole points chase. That was 1997, I believe.      Thanks for the memory jogger Stoney

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stoney,

You did it right!

I am going back to Camelback in January.  I hope it is as great as it has been in the past.  Some of the reports are not good.  May have to have a "Back-up"! location. They could not have been more gracious and accommodating this year!

• 1980s recollections of Club Marquis & Marriott Honored Guest
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Even eight month old posts resurface--who knew?

drubin333 Platinum 1 Reviews

I still carry this on my briefcase. The good old days!!!

IMG_20150509_091951.jpg

rb84 Platinum

I Recognize that luggage tag and wonder what ever happened to mine. I signed up in the mid to late 80's and achieved what was called "Black Card Level". Memorable trips using points around that time include a very utilitarian Marriott in Munich, the MarBle arch in London and a Marriot in Rome. I also remember welcome gifts being left on my pillow and still have a mini screwdriver set that I received in Indianapolis. I recall entry sign-in's at the CL's and honor bars. I remember getting a points statement in snail mail!

superchief1 Platinum

I signed up at the Indianapolis Marriott the first week of the program. When I bought my timeshare in Orlando, we received 110k MR points if we didn't choose to use our week. That would get us 7 nights at any resort worldwide, 2 free roundrtrip airline ticket. 1 week Hertz rental, and buy one get one free 7 night cruise. I still only receive 110k points for my timeshare week, but it doesn't go very far today. Needless to say, I never convert my timeshare to MR points any more, and I expect it is harder for MR members to redeem points for MVC timeshares because nobody in their right mind would give up a week in a 2BR timeshare resort for 4 nights at a Courtyard.

I think I still have my Marquis luggage tags in a box somewhere. Marriott was definitely a pioneer in the loyalty area. It is a shame that short term profitability takes priority over the long term loyalty.

Jsucool76 Gold

One of the people I work with showed me their marriott rewards card....it's a piece of laminated paper, and it lists the brands on the card. It's missing like 6 brands. They're old school

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...