5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2011 2:47 PM by insuranceman RSS

Melville, NY Marriott

onzroadagain Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello fellow road warriors.  Just wanted to share a dreadful experience.  I made a reservation at the Melville Marriott in early January, and arrived a couple weeks later.  Being a platinum, and having stayed there many times, I expected to be on the concierge level as usual.  Not only did they not save me a room on that level, they put me on the first floor, with the back of the room facing the lobby (glass wall).  With the bar on the other side, I had to stay awake until the bar closed (11PM) and finally cleared for silence (after midnight).  Having been on the road all day, checking in at ten, and needing to be at meetings early the next day, they broke my trust that I can rely on them for a good night's rest.  Oh, when I asked for another room (anywhere), they said there were none left, and offered me points.  They must think their points are so special that throwing them at us absolves them.  I refused them, didn't ask for a refund, figuring customer service will handle at my convenience.  I called the next day, was told to expect a call back, and 2 weeks later, nothing.  Glad they care.  Feel liberated that I only have one outstanding reservation, and just booked 3 with Hilton.  28 stays or 60 nights should take 3 to 4 months for Hilton Diamond.  Hope you're all being treated better. Guess 110 nights wasn't enough.  Safe travels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Melville, New York, USA
  • Re: Melville, NY Marriott
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Sounds like a bad experience for sure.  I wouldnt let one bad time be the cause to change brands completely.  At the same time I would not have even unpacked a bag if that was the room they gave me.  As a platinum member they really should have done more for you, even if they were sold out they should have offered to call another property. If you did not speak with someone that night and essentially impart on them that the room was completely unacceptible, then perhaps some of the onus is on you as well for staying in a room that provided you no ability to relax.

FWIW, I am local to the island but when I have to stay up island I usually take the Islandia or the Ronkonkoma properties.  They are nicer and the staff is really on top of their game and both places.

If there is really no getting you back, do a challenge with Hilton and get your Diamond faster.  You might find that really there is no difference at the end of the day and can make a decision on if you should come back and continue to invest your time with MR.  If you are putting 110 nights a year, its no small feat and you probably have a more vested interest in staying rather than going.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

As a New York native and a recent guest at the Melville Marriott (wedding), I fully agree with zukracer's comments.  The Islandia Marriott is only a few exits away on Interstate 495 and a better choice.  As a follow-up, consider e-mailing customer.care@marriott.com as a next step.  In the Subject, 'Unmet Expectations @ Melville Marriott Confirmation #12345678.  In the narrative, describe the sequence of booking, your expectations, check-in and experience. Name names.  Customer Care will acknowledge and give an ETA on a response.  The hotel management should follow up.  If not, escalate back to Customer.Care via e-mail or phone.  Do consider your objective.  A complete refund along with bonus points for the added inconvenience would not be out of the ordinary.

onzroadagain Platinum

Thank you.

onzroadagain Platinum

Thank you.

insuranceman Platinum

This place is awful!!  It's musty, old and depressing.  If you happen to be assigned a room in a far wing, be prepared to hike.  My office is around the corner (my home is 150 miles away) so I stay locally 2-3 nights a week.  About 3-4 miles south there is a brand new Courtyard & Springhill Suites.  Excellent service & CLEAN!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...