5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 2:34 PM by shirley164 RSS

Points Leveraging

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here is a  Good Analysis of using points to buy Gift Cheques for stays.

And worth a read IMHO.

A strategy that will work for some of us but not all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Aruba
  • Re: Points Leveraging
    paxton Platinum 8 Reviews

Interesting, When booking the stay do you do it with credit card?  and does it work outside the states?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have not tried it, but I assume you book normally, even with points, and then make a change to pay with the cheque. Has anyone else done this?  Please let us know.

iflyjetzzz Platinum

In resonse to Paxton, Yes and yes.

You'll need a credit/debit card whenever you check into a hotel as a deposit for incidentals, etc.

Gift cheques work anywhere in the world but they will convert them from USD to local currency.  The exchange rate isn't always favorable.

I use gift cheques quite a bit but there are times that I use my points for stays.  For instance, my stay for New Years 2011/2012 at the Sydney Marriott Circular Quay is on 120K points.  Had I booked the 5 day stay and paid for it, it would have cost at least $3000 USD.

tjcnewyork Platinum

A good analysis by Loyalty Traveler, not sure why this missed the radar earlier.  It's also relevant to the discussion under Marriott Points value thread.

shirley164 Gold

I have used the gift checks with great success.  I booked a room at the Marriott in Aruba last May using my credit card.  Upon checking in I notified the front desk that I had gift checks to pay for my stay.  I was told that on the day that I check out I should bring the room portfolio to the front desk and check out manually presenting the gift checks at that time for payment.  The only hassle was that I had 10 gift checks for $100.00 each (the only way to receive the $1,000.00 check for 135,000 points) and had to sign each of the gift checks in front of the hotel clerk.  This was by no means an inconvenience, it only took longer to check out.  I would highly recommend the gift check program.  In fact, I plan to use again later this year!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...