46 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2011 11:58 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Member Since?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

How about a line in the Marriott Rewards summary that says "Member Since?" It could go just beneath Member Level.  I know that most of us know when we joined MR or one of its predecessors, but it would be a nice reminder.  Years in the program also means something for earning Elite Lifetime Status:

Here's how it would look theoretically, of course, the names and dates and amounts have been changed to reflect my desire to remain humble and anonymous

Account at a Glance

• Name: Stepping Stones
  • Account number: *********
  • Member Level: Plutonium Titanium Premier Elite
  • Point Balance: 18,000,000
  • Total Membership Nights: 6000
  • Rollover Nights: 175
  • Re: Member Since?
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

A great idea, while we are at it, how about adding a line for "total membership points earned" the one last tale of the tape for lifetime good stuff :)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Great idea!  Airlines do that, why not Marriott.  Love to see my millions in one place!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

It would be great to see "Ambassador" in your profile as account status.  Maybe some of the people checking you in would take notice.  They might realize (As most do!)  that you had a lot of hotel choices over the years.  Would it even be absurd to show a space for "Other Hotel Status", ie Hilton Diamond Member?  We all can't stay at Marriott's all the time, due to geographical property limitations, but Marriott people would know we are serious traveler's!

This really looks great, thanks for idea.

I am at the JW Camelback this week, what a place!  Will update on the Insiders, soon.

Have a great time at the JW Camelback, I have spent a few nights there and other local properties.  If you need some dining suggestions there's a bunch right near there that is sure to please most anyone.  Also some of the triple D spots too (Diners, Drive-ins & Dives) if you are into those :)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Member since 1984 and only Plutonium Titanium?  What an underachiever.   (Just kidding)

Jerrry I love Camelback, it was our go-to destination of choice for kids spring break.  The redo a few years back made it more spectacular.  Have a great time!

We love this place, Malee's Thai downtown.

Stepping, TJC, and Zukracer,

You really "Make my day"!

Right now in the world, I really have worries!  But it is so nice to share some memories and hope's with others.

Thanks so much!

kahunapremier Platinum

Already beat ya SS, I submitted that enhancement about 7 years ago - LTS status.

Rule six of any project: take credit for work of others!

lorirobert Platinum

I think this is a great idea.  I wish I were at Camelback right now.  Its darn cold here is Pittsburgh!

Jerry, if you are looking for a good meal with a nice atmostphere try the White Chocolate Grill.  http://www.whitechocolategrill.com/restaurants.php<</a>/p>

Its not far from where you are and the food is very good while not being overly priced.

If you are looking for a nice view, great food and relaxed atmosphere, the Top of the Rock at the Buttes MR resort is also a nice place to relax and take in the city.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/phxtm-the-buttes-a-marriott-resort/

If you are into beers, there is a Rock Bottom (http://www.rockbottom.com/) over about 15mins north of you that has some good happy hour specials and the beer isnt bad either :)

And for a guys night out, the Tilted Kilt offers some Hooter esc views but in a sports bar environment.  Never eaten the food there but the bar/patio is a great place to unwind from a busy day and enjoy a drink with friends.

• Tilted Kilt Scottsdale
    • 7077 E. BELL RD.
    • Scottsdale, AZ, 85254
    • 480-922-8424 phone

Many many more places, having spent 5months out there I found some good ones but these are some right near you.  Have a great time!

superchief1 Platinum

That is a great idea. I joined the original program the first week it was announced, since I was staying at the Marriott in Indianapolis at the time. I can't recall what year. Does anyone know?

Zukracer,

I will check these out today as I have a car and a full day to relax!

Thanks!  Will try to get a few pictures to post!

SuperChi,

I think it was 1983.

I signed up then as I was checking into the new Marriott in Charleston, WV.

The rest is history!

Great, happy to help.

*ok now my post is back dunno who's doing what but hope you find a few of those spots to be fun :)

superchief1 Platinum

1983. That was a long time ago. I must have been 3 yr. old when I joined. It has been a great program for my family over the years.

Even though I haven't liked many of the changes to the program and point devaluation, the changes have not been nearly as bad as Delta Airlines!

Stepping,

Thanks for the Malee's tip!

We will check it out!

This looks like some great food!

Zukracer,

Headed to the "Top of the Rock" right now!

Thanks again, we will check these recommendations out!

I had better get off this computer and get going.

Thanks for everything!

Marriott's frequent guest program did indeed begin in 1983 as the Club Marquis Program. Like inexpensive gas back then as I recall 12 stays got you something and I cannot remember what--perhaps an ID card and luggage tags, which I have somewhere and can't recall where.

As for Malees, ask for more hot sauce if you dare, and plenty of water to drink!

schererfam Platinum 2 Reviews

GREAT IDEA!!!! How to bring this to the attention of website designers? All of the information is in the Marriott system. Just share it on line with we owners

• Re: Member Since?  (Memorabilia)
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://bks7.books.google.com/books?id=3MsoVjJPQ3AC&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&sig=ACfU3U1Av8B0O-dCBNRZoXIMuZdNXS1riw Member Since 1983

Quoting 'The Spirit to Serve' (page 135), "Our first program - Marriott Honored Guest Awards - was started in 1983 and quickly became the industry leader."

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/MarriottClubMarquisAd-August1983.jpg

Above:  A http://books.google.com/books?id=wV8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA119&lpg=PA119&dq=%22CLUB+MARQUIS%22+%22marriott%22+%221984%22&source=bl&ots=RNk6cK1DGs&sig=BT1oRw5sOSIZJFE02TZ2o1dC1Cw&hl=en&ei=qhBGTZy9EoytgQfCm4TzAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=falsefull-page magazine advertisement for Marriott Club Marquis appearing in August 1983.

Below:  One, among thousands of originally minted Club Marquis luggage tags.  This one is for sale on e-bay.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/ClubMarquisLuggageTag.jpg

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://bks7.books.google.com/books?id=3MsoVjJPQ3AC&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&sig=ACfU3U1Av8B0O-dCBNRZoXIMuZdNXS1riw Member Since 1983

Quoting 'The Spirit to Serve' (page 135), "Our first program - Marriott Honored Guest Awards - was started in 1983 and quickly became the industry leader."

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/MarriottClubMarquisAd-August1983.jpg

Above:  A http://books.google.com/books?id=wV8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA119&lpg=PA119&dq=%22CLUB+MARQUIS%22+%22marriott%22+%221984%22&source=bl&ots=RNk6cK1DGs&sig=BT1oRw5sOSIZJFE02TZ2o1dC1Cw&hl=en&ei=qhBGTZy9EoytgQfCm4TzAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=falsefull-page magazine advertisement for Marriott Club Marquis appearing in August 1983.

Below:  One, among thousands of originally minted Club Marquis luggage tags.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/ClubMarquisLuggageTag.jpg

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Boy, I'll bet that if I looked hard enough, I'd find some of those original luggage tags around here somewhere!

I've been a member since 1983 or 1984.

tjcnewyork Platinum

An interesting postscript on Club Marquis, the predecessor of Marriott's Honored Guest Awards and the legacy of what is now known as Marriott Rewards.

As many of us know, the Marriott's guest loyalty program has been around for decades.  The question is - how long?  The earliest published reference to Marriott's Club Marquis appears in 'A Special Advertising Section', '1983 Business Travel Guide' that was bound into New York Magazine for the March 7, 1983 edition.

Quoting another reference, 'The Direct Marketing Handbook' authored by Edward L. Nash and published by McGraw-Hill, "In 1983 Marriott transformed its existing service program, Club Marquis, into Marriott Honored Guest Reward$".

Both references suggest that the legacy of Marriott Rewards dates back at least to 1982 so that periodicals like New York Magazine could refer to Marriott's Club Marquis.  At that time, the periodicals state that Club Marquis offered members check-cashing priveleges and 10 percent discount on items in Marriott-owned gift shops.

If my hunch is correct, Marriott Rewards is approaching or has already crossed an anniversary marking 3 decades of guest loyalty.  That's really something!  How many programs, let alone organizations can you recall that were, 'Built to Last'?  Let's hope that corporate will recognize this milestone with special promotions that we can all enjoy.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Consistent with the spirit of Stepping Stone's original post, what if the 'Member Since' information included some reference to what you belonged to prior to the integration of the programs into Marriott Rewards.  For example, Club Marquis or Honored Guest Awards.  There are also the individually branded programs for Courtyard among others, that may have been the brand of choice.

All of these programs where aimed at creating a relationship that could be leveraged into discounts, special rates and many other benefits.  Acknowledging the legacy of brands that contribute to the Marriott Rewards family helps members reconnect to the brand experience that compelled them to become a member in the first place.

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

Now that I look back, I am pretty sure that Club Marquis started in 1982 or possibly even in 1981. I remember joining when I was travelling frequently to Indianapolis, which was in 1981-82. I had the luggage tags for a long time, and would still have them if my wife didn't leave them on a suitcase she was throwing away.

The express check-in was a huge benefit at the time. I have noticed recently that many hotels no longer have preferred check-in desks and lines are getting longer.

TJC,

Nice work and information!

Thanks!

oldfort Platinum

This has been a great stroll down memory lane.  I joined Club Marquis - I still have the luggage tags - near the beginning of the program.  I transfered to the Honored Guest and Marriott Rewards programs as they supplanted the original Club Marquis.  I don't think we got very many perq's for being Club Marquis members, but the luggage tags were fabulous.  I was relatively young at the time, and it made me feel like "hot stuff" to have those special tags.  Now I don't care about the impressions but I do really like the room upgrades when they happen. It has been a great run these past thirty years!

applehazar Platinum 1 Reviews

I totally agree - the membership number has some indication but the year activated woudl be great - also adding ambasador  -

renaissanceman Platinum 2 Reviews

SteppingStones....I like your idea, albeit an ego thing, I would like to see it on my card and my summary also.    I have no idea how long I have been a member but I know it's been a long time.  I cannot seem to find a spot in the Marriott website, including profile, that indicates "Member since ...."?

I would also like to see the Lifetime Platinum status recognized by the hotels.  I believe once you earn that status, it should be recognized by at least the Marriott front desk personnel?   Opps, here comes ego again.

kahunapremier Platinum

SStone,

Excellent comment!!! (take credit for others work).

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I agree on adding both "Member Since" and "Total Lifetime Points Earned" to help determine where I am towards getting any "Lifetime" status.  I honestly don't remember when I first joined Marriott Rewards!  

exroadwarrior Gold

This has been a common practice in the credit card industry for ten or twenty years, starting with American Express and then followed by Visa, Mastercard, etc.  My research on this practice said that the group of credit cards reflecting the "member since" history experienced a lower attition rate than the cards lacking that date. 

One might think that emotional benefit would apply to affinity programs as well.

pusher Platinum 3 Reviews

Not wanting to show my age but I remember signing up for the Marriott reward program on my Honeymoon on 15 Jun 1980 and have ben a member since that time.  I had a set of those luggage tags but they got misplace in my many millitary moves.  Marriott was great to us when I traveled for the Air Force and has been a great part of my travels on my retirement.

I agree that I would love to have the member since block on our profile

voperationsgm Platinum 7 Reviews

Great Idea!!!!

edretired Gold 1 Reviews

A great Idea, juts like the AMEX Card

katielu Platinum

Agree. I actually don't remember when I joined Marriott. :-)

If you call the Marriott Rewards line, they will tell you!

Yes, lifetime stays and total points are something that each of us would like to know.

Yes, lifetime stays and total points are something that each of us would like to know.

natecann Platinum

I agree with you 100%.

I don't know what the number should be but there should be a couple of levels of benefit relating to "lifetime nights". I use "nights" instead of "stays" because some us check in for the week on most occassions and stays unfairly discriminates against us.

Lifetime silver after 500 nights, lifetime gold after 750 nights, lifetime platinum after 1000 nights? Or do it on total points earned so it reflects the value paid, ie. a night at $500 in New York is worth more that $79 in Dover, DE. Just some ideas.

Maybe something super-special like a lobby or something for a super-stayer like the airlines do with naming a plane after their best flyers.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I have right in front of me a HGA statement from 12/87. I won't list everything but here are some hightlights of redemption which are "hard" printed on the back of the statement:

50K - 3 nights at any hotel worldwide plus 40% discount on airfare on TWA, Eastern, Northwest or Continental (hmm). 1 weekend day car rental.

90k - 5 nights worldwide, 1 airline ticket within U.S. plus companion ticket at 50% off, 2 weekend car rental.

130k - 7 nights worldwide, 2 systemwide air tickets and 7 days car rental.

250k - 2 separate 6 night stays worldwide, 4 systemwide air tickets and 7 days car.

Ahh the good old days.

fhllast4ever Platinum

I don't really care about adding member since...  It will be one more infuriating detail if hotel personnel don't pay attention ( some don't care now what status you have, so why should this information make a difference except for one's ego?). Maybe if Marriott  adds a line that states

total lifetime dollars $$$ spent on hotel nights it might get some attention!

greendalejill Platinum

Great idea Roger.

Really don't think it's about ego.  I really think it is more about sharing the "Spirit to Serve".

No one is paying for my experiences but me, and I am so glad I have learned and enjoyed so much from others.

If I can help and share a travel "Tip" with others, it means a lot to me.  I am so glad that I can.

Really don't think it's about ego.  I really think it is more about sharing the "Spirit to Serve".

No one is paying for my experiences but me, and I am so glad I have learned and enjoyed so much from others.

If I can help and share a travel "Tip" with others, it means a lot to me.  I am so glad that I can.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...