3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 8:24 PM by nhtraveler RSS

House Phones--an endangered species?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have noticed recently that house phones, like the Do-Do Bird and other species, are becoming extinct.  Perhaps its the fact that the hotels know that the ubiquitous cell phones we carry have already made pay phones an endangered thing, and are working on the need for house phones.

While needing to call a family member last week I searched for a house phone, and discovering none, asked the front desk to give me a phone.  At this point they handed me their wired phone and offered to dial the room.

Anyone else noticed this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: House Phones--an endangered species?
    dw152a Gold

I haven't noticed this.  I've stayed at three different Marriotts this week, and all three had a phone.  I had heard somewhere that it is a safety requirement to have a phone in a room.  I used to own rental property, and I was required to have a phone in each bedroom.

Having said that, we just disconnected our house land line.  We've had the same number for 20 years this month, but since every one in my family has a cell phone, we haven't really used the land line in a while.  When it would ring, I wouldn't even move an inch to answer it.  Even though we were on the do not call list, it seemed like the only phone calls we got were from people I didn't want to talk to.  And now that we've disconnected the phone, we're saving $50 a month.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes the room phones are still there, and I understand it's a requirement of hotels to have them.  We also jettisoned the AT&T folks this month in favor of cells and VOIP--our cable company offers unlimited local and long distance for 19.99 a month. The phone company wanted 28 a month for limited local and no free long distance--so I bid them farewell. I have been and will continue to use Google Voice for calls when I can--free and works extremely well.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Stepping Stones - That's a great observation. While I haven't seen Marriotts totally discontinue them, I have noticed that there seem to be fewer of them and they are less obvious. I agree that the growth of cell phones seems to have had an effect, but, being a bit old-fashioned, I still sort of like the house phone - after all, depending on your cell phone plan, it may well save you a minute or two of useage to use the house phone to see why your spouse/significant other/travelling companion isn't down in the lobby when he or she said they would be!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...