16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2011 1:49 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Sunsets

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At a recent stay at the Ventura Beach Marriott (America fans take note -- it is on the Ventura Highway, aka US 101) we strolled down the street to the Pacific Ocean and saw an incredible sunset.  I have included some shots from that night, last Sunday as the sun headed over the Channel Islands into the Ocean.

The hotel itself is small but elegant and loaded with amenities. As a Platinum Premier I got both the points and the amenity, and I think that same courtesy is afforded to Platinum Elite members as well.

Pat, the GM, is very good at making very guest feel welcome and her associates are also top-notch.  In particular, Suzan, the evening Concierge, deserves special mention since she is among the best at what she does that I have ever encountered.  She works only two nights a week but if your travels take you to Ventura, this place is a must stay.  Not the fanciest neighborhood but the best of the best along the Ventura Highway.

• Re: Sunsets
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Beautiful!  Thanks, Stepping!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Agreed, this a a great hotel.  Also, Milano's just down the road a bit right on Ventura Harbor makes killer calzones!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Absolutely spectacular!  Thank you for sharing it! Were you having a libation at the lounge when you took the photos, or were you actually on the beach?

ProfChiara

Professor this was pre-libation-in-the-lounge, or PLITL as we say here in sunny CA.

It's a three block walk from the hotel to the Mar Pacifico as the natives call it, and flat as flat can be so not much exertion required.  This part of coastal California has onshore winds that pick up around sunset every evening, and since the Ocean tends to be colder than the air you get a cold breeze, and a jacket or sweater is advised.

Upon returning to the lounge I honored the memory of Sir Winston Chrurchill's mother, by having her favorite and it is alleged, her creation, a Manhattan, whilst chatting with Suzan the excellent concierge.

I should have mentioned that the lounge is comprised of two rooms, one larger than the other and we were virtually alone watching the Steelers (or "Stilers" as we Pittsburghers call them) end the Jet's title hopes.

The sea was a calming influence for us all.

Cheers to Jenny C., an amazing woman!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stunning!  Imagine the silouhettes of palm trees in the foreground with that brilliant sunset and that would be the view from the Maui Ocean Club at Ka'anapali.

Except for the lack of sharks in the water and the oil rigs in the near distance, (photosopped out) yes it would!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Thanks for the pictures!

I stayed last year at the Ventura Marina.  Ate breakfast in a wonderful little place that was open air, with plenty of birds.  Very inexpensive.  There was a great free standing steakhouse in the Marina as well.  Did the Channel Islands (Did not see any UFO's)

Here are couple of my favorite sunrise/sunset photo's I took in various places.

1. Sunset Seattle Marriott before Alaska cruise

2. Sunrise, Swiss Alps, Crans-Montana

3,4 Sunset, Mallory Square, Key West, What Fun!

Stepping, I also enjoy clouds!  Did you know there is an international org. devoted to clouds in London?   Maybe your next book?

Beautiful Jerry!

My wife and I are bi-coastal so we get sunsets on both the Atlantic (Cape Cod) and here (Monterey).  Here's a few that I have taken--see if you can decide which are which.

Stepping,

That is tough to do, both pictures are so outstanding!

My guess is the first one is the West Coast and the second is a much calmer Cape Cod!

Had you heard about the "Cloud Society" in London?  I am going to County Hall Marriott on Valentines Day, and may just look them up for the fun of it!

My guess (Mainer) is that L photo is East Coast and R is West Coast.  But I know enough of New England that either photo could fit depending on where you took it.

ProfChiara

bethham Platinum 14 Reviews

I am a brand new insider and was thrilled to see your post re the sunset in Ventura last Sunday, January 23rd.  As a life long resident of Ventura I can report that that particular sunset has been the talk of the town this week.  Boy, did you luck out!  Actually, some of our best sunsets occur during the months of December and January.  Glad you enjoyed your stay.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Welcome to Insiders and thanks for that post!  Stepping Stones is remarkable and manages to score as 'talk of the town'.  Kudos, Stepping Stones!

The photo on the left is taken at Carmel Beach (CA) along Scenic Drive--we get Pacific storms that stir the sky and create amazing colors and striations in the sky.  The right one is a North Beach, just off the Chatham Light in Chatham MA on Cape Cod, our "summa" home.

Ventura's sunset however was one of the best I've ever seen!  Gotta love that California Coast at sunset.

You are very lucky to live in Ventura, that'a fact!!!

Betham,

Can you tell what that great breakfast place is at the Ventura Marina?  It is open air and inexpensive with great hot cakes!

Likewise, what is the name of the free standing steak house that is at the entrance to the marina.

The marina is so beautiful and I just cannot remember the names of these two great places.

Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...