27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2011 8:19 PM by Segments RSS

Lounge Libations Lacking or Needed?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Do we actually need liquor served in the Marriott Concierge Lounges?  Is this a deal maker or breaker for anyone?  Would you forgo a Marriott stay if there were no "adult" beverages available in those lounges?

I am not a tea-totaler (spelling?) but seems to me that the lounge has morphed into a different place since it's inception, and as a family gathering place, does not need an honor bar, which I am sure is not a profit center for hotels.

Anyone else see the need or non-need for liquor, beer and wine in the Lounges?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lounge Libations Lacking or Needed?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

It does make a difference to me.  After a long day, it's nice to have a glass or two of wine in the lounge without having to go to the hotel bar.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I enjoy the opportunity to have a quiet place where, if I want, I can relax and have a drink and a conversation without the hustle and bustle of the hotel bar.

That being said, I find myself over the past few months using the concierge lounge for a drink less and less. Somewhere in the recent past Marriott has lost their focus in some of these 'lounge' arrangements. It is very disappointing that there are more and more instances where the bar set up is just terrible. I don't want my glass of wine in a paper or plastic cup. I don't want to make a drink with a paper or plastic cup that are the size of a shot glass. I'm always put off when I go to the lounge and find that the staff doesn't have a clue what a bar station set up is. One would think they'd get it right since it's the business they are in. Add to that the price points on the honor bar in some places and I'm better off going to the hotel bar.

I do wish the training would encompass how to set up a portable bar arrangement in the concierge locations. It would make the experience far more pleasant than taking a bottle of liquor off a partition top as I have experienced recently.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree with the Professor.  And, I like it even more in Europe where the libations are typically complimentary!

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Although I've yet to have a libation in one of the lounges, I do like that it's available for those who would like a drink.  I would say there is a need.

jg1972 Gold 44 Reviews

It all depends what kind of trip I'm taking. With the family we are ussually running from here to there, so I rarely use the hotel for more than beds, breakfast and a random dip in the pool.

If it is just my wife and I or on a business trip, it is nice to have the lounge as a nice jumping off point for dinner, or an end of day wrap up. The alcohol option is great when I want to have a drink or two without dealing with the bar.

I've never seen any out of hand behavior, so I'm not sure why it would be a problem. They always have non-alcoholic drinks as a choice as well, so there is something for everyone.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Professor - Pardon me for taking liberties.  May I join you for a glass of red wine?

traveler2 Platinum

Absolutely!  After traveling on business and being away from home I look forward to that time I can go relax and have a drink. I don't want to go down to the bar and hang out there and I don't need to have it in my room. I would also like to see the return to at least beer and wine free. I can see paying for hard liquor but come on....beer and wine is cheap eough to offer to their best rewards members!

platinum1 Platinum

Lounge libations, definitely.  Why not meet the family in a non-business travelers lounge?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm wondering why you're even asking the question.  Is this a problem?  I took my children (before they were grown and gone) into the c-lounge often.  Exposing them to booze there is no different than going to Applebees.  Personally, I rarely drink in the c-lounge.  I buy beer at a local grocery/package store and either put it in the fridge provided or pack it in ice in the bathroom sink or a trashcan.  Works great!  Cheaper, a whole lot colder, and more convenient.

TJ and others ---

Absolutely! I'm afraid I responded too quickly (because I felt strongly about the subject), but it seems to me that concierge lounges were originally created for the most frequent travelers, most of whom are there for business.  Business conducted over a drink, or being in the lounge just by oneself after a tiring day, is ever so much better with the complimentary wine that almost all European hotels and many elsewhere offer (as well as beer).  In Europe, it's certainly not a big deal for the hotels -- good wine and beer are as cheap as Coke or Pepsi in France, Belgium and Italy. I even found that in Turkey and Egypt my drinks (while noted) were not charged.

At the risk of sounding like a cranky middle-aged woman, I rely on the concierge lounges as a way to wind down after either a day of research or travel or meeting with colleagues, and so I'm not all that fond of lounges full of children.  As long as they're under parents' care, no problem, but I want some quiet -- and some wine -- in a place where I don't have to sit on an empty bar stool or table.

I guess I think this goes to the model of what Marriott hotels are in the larger world.  Certainly, most Courtyards and Fairfield Inns are designed mostly for family and tourist travelers.  But it seems to me at the Renaissance and Marriott/JW levels, these are perks that are part of being an elite member.

ProfChiara (after all, I do most of my research in France and Italy...)

esquared Platinum 3 Reviews

Echo all the sentiments about the relative solitude of the lounges vs. the hotel bars.  A real perk that I would miss.

Just one more thought about the lounges and a nice glass of wine at the end of the day -- I have enjoyed spectacular views of cities such as Athens, Cairo, Paris and most recently my (1976 adopted) 'home town' of Boston while sipping wine in the Lounge.  That's far different from sitting alone in a bar (or my room).

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, I am glad to see we are not taking this "puritan" attitude too seriously.  If people want a "family gathering area", they should promote that idea but NOT at the expense of the Concierge lounge.  I think most would agree that the fewer the children in the lounge, the better.  Let's not propose an idea that actually increases the likelyhood of their presence.  But most importantly, a quiet beer in the lounge after a crazy day is one of the few "high" moments of my stays in hotels.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

What about a discounted drink in the hotel room?  Would that be a replacement for the Lounge if the Lounge did not serve alcohol?  How might it work?

Would discounted drinks for C Lounge people in those hotels without that service being offered?

willow Platinum 2 Reviews

I dont see the lounges as a "family gathering place." In fact it annoys me when I see kids running around. I work hard and need a place to unwind or relax after a long day. So although I dont drink I think it should be a perk that is offered.

Nope, Stepping Stones -- I'd rather drink in a lounge overlooking a beautiful city any day than sit in my hotel room and read a book with a glass of complimentary wine.

The libations, in my view, are essential, and most European hotels get it just right!

ProfChiara

What about a discounted drink in the hotel room?  Would that be a replacement for the Lounge if the Lounge did not serve alcohol? 

Not for me.  I prefer to have the opportunity to socialize in the CL.  I don't want to be sitting in my hotel room drinking alone...

Besides, the discounted drink in my hotel room would end up costing me more with Room Service charges, delivery tip, taxes, etc.

And, I completely echo the comments about the kids in the CL.  I stayed at one property that was overrun with spouses and kids running around and yelling in the CL.  They were also playing on the computer so I couldn't even use it to locate another hotel! I waited over an hour before asking the front desk for a free voucher to use the computers in the lobby which they eventually reluctantly gave me.  Checked out of that property and moved on.

hopefully, this conversation is over..................  the people have spoken!

dw152a Gold

I don't drink, but I think it's a nice thing that should be offered.  Most of the lounges I've been to have a nice atmosphere, with a city view or a quiet ambiance.  Having an evening drink fits right in with that mood.  Last month I was with my wife and grown daughter in London and they both enjoyed a glass of wine in the lounge (which was also the only place to get free internet!).

traveler2 Platinum

I believe the whole idea is to get out of the room, share a story or two if you wish, perhaps strike up an interesting converstaion. Some times after a long day of business it's the only relaxation we may get before heading to bed. I can always bring something into my room if it's just about a drink!! And if you really aren't looking for a big meal you can have a beer or a glass of wine, wind down and have a small bite to eat. and as the Professor said.....it's getting a differnet view to the city your in.

Again the question has to be asked.....Why do you ask? is this something they are considering getting rid of? I would hate for that to happen!!

What about a discounted drink in the hotel room? Would that be a replacement for the Lounge if the Lounge did not serve alcohol?

As I've mentioned previously, the CL's in Europe offer complimentary libations.  Why would I want to start paying for it even at a 'discounted' rate?

I've had some wonderful conversations with other travelers in the CLs that led me to go out and see some sites that I'd not known about such as Trifels Castle in Germany where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned in 1192 when captured while returning from the Third Crusade.  Or the quaint, charming town of Deidesheimer where I ate the BEST apple strudel of my life (I even took a picture of it, it was that good!).

I had a few conversations with an Englishmen who said that I had changed his opinion of Americans (gee, I think he meant that in a good way!  I guess so since he kept speaking to me each evening during our cocktail hour.) 

I've met couples in the CL who have asked me to meet them for dinner or a drink the following night. 

I've met couples who said to me 'You got off the boat at the first stop today, where did you go?  Please join us and tell us about your day.'  (Now that was a little wierd, how did they notice what stop I got off at??? LOL!)  But, we spent about 4 hours chatting away.

No, I don't want to see an end to the libations or to the CLs.  If that happens, I'll be frequenting another hotel chain.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Great post New Hilton!

Stepping stones

Was there a reason your brought up this topic?  Were you just provoking conversation or are you privy to some discussions on the subject within the confines of corporate Marriott???

Shoeman,

Very interesting question.  I was also wondering if Andrew, et al at Marriott. ask the Ambassadors to post about topics that Marriott is interested in feedback.

As a further comment on the libations. I like the fact that my other preferred hotel chain does not charge for libations either domestically or internationally in the CLs. 

Why can't Marriott offer free wine and beer everywhere (certainly not a large expense)?  My other preferred chain also offers after dinner drinks complimentary in addition to some name-brand hard liquors (of which I don't imbide). 

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/hotel-checkin/2011/01/13/RenaissanceTimesSquareLobbyx-wide-community.jpg

Above is the second-floor lobby of the Renaissance chain's flagship hotel in New York's Times Square, which doubles as a public hang-out space. At the far end, past the chairs, couches and chess boards, is the restaurant and the chain's new version of a concierge desk - the Navigator desk.

In the wake of Marriott's recent announcement about Renaissance InTheKnow and the morphing of the concierge role to a Navigator, this topic is InTheKnow, so to speak.  Check it out, USAToday did a feature about the revamp recently too.

Maybe there is a revamp in the pipeline?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Stepping Stones - I asked this question a couple of days ago and since then two other insiders have ask also...Why are you asking the question -- Lounge Libations Lacking or Needed?

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

I only rarely drink, but absolutely feel the C Lounge should offer libations.  I agree that if a Residence Inn can offer free beer during a manager's reception, then certainly a full service Marriott can do the same.

That said, I expect the C lounge to be a place I can unwind in quiet conversation with fellow business travelers.  As others have said, whether for the view, the companionship, or local tips, the C lounge is a place I spend a lot of time when I'm at full service hotel.  I travel too much to want to sit in my room alone, watching tv or catching up on e-mail.  Much nicer to do that in a congenial atmosphere.  (and I love some of the new C lounge designs with counter space against big windows with electrical outlets for those of us working on our laptops!)

I don't see the C lounge as a "family gathering place".  If someone is offended by the availability of libations then perhaps they should spend the evening with their family in their hotel room or, if a resort, the children's game room.

Defining the C lounge as a family gathering place indicates you are not interested in the business traveler at your property.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...