Waiting in Logan Airport during the winter storm last Tuesday, I was shuffled from flight to flight waiting for the Charlotte airport to open. Waited all day long with flight after flight being cancelled. This is probably one instance where being 'elite' with an airline doesn't help because they automatically placed me on the next flight....so one waits, and waits for a flight to actually leave. I asked many times to be sent to another destination, but they held fast that they would get me to Charlotte.
With the snow coming to Boston the next day, it was apparent that I would be stranded for many days if I was not able to get out of Logan Airport.
The airline cancelled the last flight to Charlotte at 5PM. I was told all flights were cancelled for Wednesday, no equipment would be there Thursday and with all the backup I most likely would not leave until Saturday or Sunday. I called the airline elite line and, of course, nothing was available until Saturday. All the flights for Thursday and Friday had been re-booked with the travelers who had flights cancelled and who were not shuffled to a later flight on Tuesday as I was. So, I get to the next open flight....Saturday.
Politely, but firmly, I informed them that I would not stay in Boston until Saturday and to pick any plane on the tarmac and get me on it. They arranged for me to go to Washington (DCA) with the flight currently boarding. They called and told the gate I was coming.
Here's where Marriott comes in. I called the Platinum line to arrange for a hotel close to the airport, but, knowing that I was at the mercy of the airline, there was a chance I would not get to DC and would be stranded in Boston. I asked if an accomodation could be made that would help me with avoiding a penalty for cancelling as I would be tied up with the airline waiting to take off and would not be able to cancel before the 6PM deadline if I booked the room. I boarded the airline and expressed the urgency of my call to Susan, the Elite CSR and that I would have to get off the line as I got in the plane (they were waiting for me). She told me that she would take my cell, call the hotels in Boston and DC directly and ask for an accomodation and would leave me a message on my cell that would be available when I got off the plane, wherever that may be.
When I landed in DC, arrangements had been made for me to stay in Boston and DC and that both hotels would agree to waive the late cancel and any fee and to call with my destination and she would take care of it.
Great service from Susan and a shout out also to the Custom House Marriott in Boston and the Crystal Gateway Marriott in DC for their willingness to accomodate a stranded flyer.
This is great information!
That was a neat plan you had! In Winter, I have been booking airport hotels in advance just in case I get stuck for any reason. I have had to use them sometimes, but if I cancel by 6 PM, I am Ok. Just do not want to get stuck as you almost did without a know place to stay.
This is such a great testimonial. My question is what number did you call?
When I called the platinum number last week, I got the automated system. When I asked for an agent, I finally got a real person, but he was not a platinum rep and transferred me once again. What am I missing? Is their a more direct number to get to a real person?
I had a similar situation last month, with a three night, no cancellation rate at the LV Renaissance. I called the same number on the back of the Platinum MR card and asked for help when weather interfered, and I was unable to make my flight. I was still going to come for the second and third nights of my reservation, but I'd miss the first one. The hotline person called the Renaissance on my behalf and the hotel was gracious enough to waive the no-cancel policy for my first night. Both the hotline and the hotel helped me in a big way when I found myself in a situation which I could not control. I am grateful to them both and believe that the way in which they helped me was the epitome of Marriott service.