97 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2015 10:05 AM by robito64 RSS

DO NOT STAY LIST

captjim Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Although I spend 200 night a year in Marriotts worldwide, I feel its time to start a DO NOT STAY LIST. I have several in mind, and in fact one of them is a company store. As JW said, somethings are not negotiable and a hotel without Marriott values might deserve mention...or to be listed.

Perhaps a MUST STAY LIST would be appropriate as well. I have many remarkable stories of efforts made beyond the call of duty. Marriott is my home away from home which is most of the time. Maybe others feel the same. Thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Denver, Colorado, USA
Montgomery, Alabama, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Montgomery
  • Re: DO NOT STAY LIST
    jopilot Platinum

Amen brother!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rfdave Gold

I say go ahead and post what you'd like.  Either Marriott will see it as a chance to fix perceived problems with their operation, or, delete your comments.  Either way, you'll gain insight into how their customer service team works.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I think it's a great idea and would go you one further:  tell the hotel that makes the NO NOT Stay list directly by phone or email, or both of your concerns and let us know what response, if any, you get from them.

This way we get the benefit of candid reviews and so does the hotel. While some may decide that these kinds of reviews are not worth worrying about, most (IMHO) will make some attempt to justify their problems and in a best case, to fix them.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too think this is a good idea.  We had a "favorite Marriott" list a few months back, but I thinks it's a good idea to add the bad ones too so they can correct the problems or know that they won't be getting our business.

ProfChiara

davefromto Platinum

I love the idea, I stay at Marriott Hotels approximately 100 nights a year and some of the hotels are completely unremarkable in terms of service and their attitude towards solving problems!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Interesting feedback.  Sharing similar expectations, there's at least one or two that merit consideration on the Do Not Stay List; but the lion's share top the Must Stay List. That said, do you have any criteria in mind for the Do Not Stay List?

Given all the Guest Satisfaction Surveys completed, Comment Cards submitted and e-mails to Customer.Care@Marriott.com over the years, it's self-evident IMO that Marriott has a process of continuous improvement.  Marriott Business Services is focused on that. Their published Case Study is worth a look.

The economy, turnover and other factors might have widened the gap so implementing a Do Not Stay List may renew the need for increased scrutiny.

goalie Platinum

I like the idea with some criteria. Everyone can have a bad day but some prolems are so indicative of a total system failure they stand out.  I really only had one last year but it was so bad and it seemed even every effort at contacting hotel was frustrating (including getting timed out on the website). I am reminded of it because my teen nephew who I often take on a few trips with me brought it up again at Christmas. Our suggestion; close the place down and start over. So I will boldly be the first to put a name on the list. Park City Marriott. Do not stay. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm not sure I can buy into a "do not stay" list.....without some more understanding. What's the criteria? How is the list maintained? What's the issue that sends them to the "list"? What happens if they take a customer complaint seriously and right the wrong?

I wouldn't want to see a 'subjective' process that creates this list without anyone knowing what the failures were (or a track to the issue that put them there). My issues are different from others issues, but that doesn't necessarily make my issues important to the point of putting someone on the "list". But yet, I could do so? I guess I would need more clarity and a process that doesn't have the subjectivity for anyone to "throw someone under the bus" because they didn't like something that might be insignificant in the big scheme.

Bottom line for me is that I appreciate the candor of individuals posting their experience (good and bad) so that I can apply their experience to my decision making process to book, or not book, a hotel. This forum is tremendous for that type of feedback.

I like Stepping Stones idea of having the hotel involved to the point that we get feedback from the person making the post that clarifies an 'issue' with the hotel response...or lack of same. Just my thought......

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I fully support a "do NOt Stay" list.  If we insiders have a legitimate problem with a property, I am sure it will be a problem most would agree with and be thankful for the heads up.  This list would appeal much more tom me than the unsolicited promos for properties seen in too many posts.....

sistersoldier Platinum

Great Idea.I visit trip advisor to determine if I will stay at a property. It would be a nice to have a Marriott list.

bomar22 Platinum

I would agree completely.  There are a few full service Marriott properties as well as Courtyards that I have reported incidents or lack of service to customer service/  Two of those were no longer Marriotts a few months later.  Customer service told me in the one instance that I was not the first to lodge a complaint.

joannedc Platinum

Do Not Stay - Princeton Courtyard.  Yuck

joannedc Platinum

Do Not Stay - Princeton Courtyard.  Yuck

travelinheart Silver

I would love  a list like that, maybe it would really make some of those hotels, running under par, straighten up and fly right.  I hate flying and getting into my hotel room, onlty for the bathroom to smell of mildew and the air conditioner not work.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Everyone will have different 'do not stay' criteria. Lack of enforcement of Marriott's smoke-free policy tops my list.  About 9% of the time in my experience, housekeeping fails to report that a guest violated the policy to the FD and checks me into that room. About 4% of the time, the second room is also contaminated by tobacco smoke.

A discussion on Flyertalk surfaced another 'do not stay list' criterion - bugs.  Thankfully, this has not been an issue (in my experience), yet.

shuwayer Silver

Thats a great idea, should be welcome of course...

arizona Platinum

Thanks for attaching the case study link.  As a professor in teh Business College I teach a week on customer service.

Marriott certainly is high on the list of addressing customre complaints and doing a great job of segmenting to the better customers.

With its roots, I am still surprised I cannot get A*W Root Beer at Marriot!

• Re: DO NOT BUY LIST
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/VacationExamplesandPricing.jpg

Above:  Vacation Examples and Pricing of the newly introduced Marriott Destination Club, a points-based timeshare ownership program of the Marriott Vacation Club. See Vacation Examples

And, thank you for posting an acknowledgment that the reference is relevant to what you do.  Marriott knows that "customer satisfaction is directly related to brand loyalty and repeat business".*   A 'Do Not Stay List' provides a sober reminder that there are challenges in delivering customer satisfaction.  Marriott's challenges are not limited to lodging, the Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott's timeshare segment has it's own.

During 2010, the scope of the challenge became quite pronounced at Marriott-on-the-Move in response to Marriott's Destination Club, a points-based timeshare program distinct from Marriott Rewards.  Timeshare vacation ownership with Marriott enjoyed popularity for over 25 years and relied very heavily upon owner satisfaction and friend/family referrals to grow the business.

As the comments from hundreds if not thousands of Marriott owners posted at Marriott-on-the-Move , the Timeshare Users Group and the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program at TripAdvisor suggest, there are significant hurdles.  Striking a parallel to 'Do Not Stay'; the comments boldly express, 'Do Not Buy'.

This certainly presents a conundrum.  Many guests loyal to Marriott lodging brands purchased vacation weeks at Marriott Vacation Club.  Will owner dissatisfaction impact loyalty to lodging?  It would certainly make an interesting case study.

* See  Marriott Leads the Way to Customer Satisfaction

craigroberts Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree.  We really need a Do Not Stay List.  In the past year, something strange has happened at Marriott.  I am running into more and more hotels that have disturbing problems with service and cleanliness. 

For instance, I am staying right now in a Marriott Courtyard in Anchorage on Spenard.  This place is a disaster.  This hotel is barely open because of massive rennovations.  If I had known this, I wouldn't have booked here.  Hard to visit with clients in a makeshift hotel lounge in a guest room.  They had the audacity to charge me full rate!!

Marriott isn't going to police their hotels, so a Do Not Stay List should be instituted. 

castorm Platinum

1. I do agree. The Marriott takes great pains to maintain their high standard and I'm sure they want to know when one of their facilities does not meet that high standard.  I think it's a great idea.  I have come upon one or two that were disappointing and I wrote to the management there, but then sometimes it's the management that is the problem.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

I also support a "Do Not Stay" List, but I wouldn't add a hotel to that list unless attempts at resolving any problems went unanswered.  I've had problems at hotels, but in nearly all cases, customer service resolved them to my satisfaction. 

On the other hand, I would also support something like an "Over and Above the Call of Duty" list where hotels did very positive things.  This would be things like providing free breakfast on weekends when the concierge lounge is closed, or upgrading to penthouse suites at Residence Inns.  These are things they don't have to do per Marriott rules!     

alfred Gold

I feel the same until recently trying to book a 2 bedroom suite at Residence Inn Tampa Sabal Park using points. They would not accept the points for a two bedroom suite, but would for a 1 bedroom suite which is not what I need.

I tried Marriott guest services and even called the Residence Inn in Tampa, but to no avail. I was told by the manager in Tampa that he had all of the two bedfooms suites available for March 23, 2011 but he could not override which I find hard to believe. I went ahead and made a resevation, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt like they were not trying to accomodate me at all, therefore, I canceled and made arragements to stay somewhere else.

ssparks Silver

I would also like to see a DO NOT STAY or even a HIGHLY SUGGESTED list!  It would have come in real handy in a past effort to stay at a hotel on a vacation.  Fortunately, I was never able to get in touch with the hotel to ask a few questions (by phone or email), so I gave up and remembered a past stay at Residence Inn that we loved!  We switched hotels, got a comparable rate, better service, and cleaner hotel! 

I, too, hope it doesn't become a venting station.  It should only be used for those occassions worth mentioning, not "bad day" situations, but obvious oversights or lack of concern. 

I would like to add the Lakewood, CO Residence Inn as a suggested.  Service was great and always courteous, everything was clean, and food was great!  We stayed for 2 weeks, with kids.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/WalkinOurShoes-1.jpg

Relegating Residence Inn or any Marriott to a Do Not Stay list for complying with new rules for a Room Upgrade is a slippery slope for sure.

Marriott published Room Upgrade Information about 2 years ago which includes Point Upgrades as well as Paid Upgrades. The reaction has been evident here at Insiders and FlyerTalk.  Examples are too numerous to mention.  Quoting More Important Tips from the Room Upgrade Information:

• Most resorts require upgrade  for rooms with special views, such as ocean or bay view. All Residence Inn and (TownePlace Suites) require upgrade  for 2-bedroom or penthouse suites. Marriott Vacation Club International locations require upgrade for 3-bedroom suites
    • Some upgrade require payment in local currency and cannot be purchased with Marriott Rewards points. So be sure to check the room description when you book online

Given the new rules, there is confusion.  If you feel that a Marriott has failed to honor your reservation booked using Marriott Rewards points, e-mail MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com with the specific hotel and dates in question. If a hotel is not in compliance, Marriott will make sure they come back into compliance, book your reservation, and award you 5,000 points for the inconvenience.¹

Clearly, this discussion about 'Do Not Stay' has struck a nerve.  More than 20 replies over 3 days is a record.   The more feedback about what it feels like to 'Walk in our Shoes' the better.  Thanks all for your participation.

¹ See Marriott Concierge on FlyerTalk

TJC

I was thinking the same thing.  It has been a while since a subject has solicited this many responses.  Let's see where this takes us.

jmat6687 Gold

I agree...a list would be a good idea. HOWEVER, I think one needs to include a detailed explanation of what happened, and the resolution-if any..Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to judge for ourselves. A minor thing to some is a major thing to others

doclady Platinum

I absolutely agree that there should be a Do Not Stay list but a hotel should be listed only after trying to resolve the issue.  I am ready to post a hotel.  I had a horrible experience at the Marriott City Center in Denver.  I complained to the hotel and then to wrote an extensice email to Customer Service.  I left a two page letter for the General Manager (on the second day of a 6 day stay) one week after leaving the hotel I recieved my first and ONLY communication from her.  A voice message which stated, "I understand you wanted me to call you."  I laughed so hard I could not speak.  When I returned her call she did not answer, that was in November, today is the last day of January, I am still waiting on her return call.  I'd be more than happy to post my entire letter to customer service.

• DO NOT STAY LIST
    condorman Silver

Great idea if balanced with a Must Stay list. I have also made some weird experinces like my most frequently used Marriott claims to be full and can't accomodate me (I was standing at the check-in counter and admit that I had forgotten to make a reservation). Calling the Platinum line (still standing at the check-in counter), I was in w/o a problem. Lot's of available rooms. That really did not make me a happy camper...

tjcnewyork Platinum

Welcome to both of you and thanks for taking the time to continue discussion on this thread.

Re: Denver.  Guest reviews of Denver Marriott City Center range from terrible to excellent on TripAdvisor with the lion's share being Very Good.  The GMs at some Marriott's do watch TripAdvisor and respond to dissatisfied guests about service issues, but that appears to be lacking here and quite evident given the timeframe described in your case.   Escalate to corporate by e-mailing Customer.Care@Marriott.com with a Subject:  Incident at Denver Marriott City Center Confirmation#12345678.  Narrate details and name names. Customer.care will acknowledge by e-mail w/a tracking code.

Re: Walk-in availability w/o reservation.  From inclement weather conditions and travel delays, there can be many circumstances that a business or leisure traveler can have to be in the situation you describe.  I've stood behind or been in earshot of walk-ins at full service Marriotts, Courtyards and Fairfield Inns where the Front Desk always made some attempt to accomodate an individual or family.  Not sure why you had to call Platinum Elite; but it is quite irritating to be in that situation.  If anything, it could be a training issue and worth mentioning to the Front Desk or Guest Relations manager.

Again thanks for these examples and keep posting!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Rather than a "Do Not Stay" list, I'd prefer to see a narrative critique of guests experiences.  Armed with that info plus other sources, I'll decide whether I "Do" or "Do Not" stay at any given location.  One person's reason for criticizing a hotel may have been isolated to a particular employee or event.  Just report the facts.  Leave the analysis to individual insiders to decide for themselves.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://cdn.tripadvisor.com/img2/tch2011/dhHeaderTop.jpg

The guest narrative is the key component, I agree.

To illustrate, TripAdvisor recently published, "2011 Dirtiest Hotels - United States". Breathe a sigh of relief that the list does not include any Marriott properties.  Underlying the list is a barage of guest commentary some armed w/photos.

With 86% or the overwhelming majority of guests giving a thumbs-down, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee's Grand Resort Hotel and Convention Center topped the list.  One guest even suggested contacting the Tennessee Department of Health!

To your point, having the guest narrative on hand to review provides a better basis for making an informed decision to book a reservation or not.  I also think that hotel management's response to guest complaints outlining remedial actions can offer redemption that outweighs a negative review.

"I also think that hotel management's response to guest complaints outlining remedial actions can offer redemption that outweighs a negative review."

Completely agree, TJC.  As stated before in this thread by SS and others, contacting the hotel management and describing their response to the complaint is key in determining whether a problem/issue is isolated or commonplace at a property.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I would also like to add a comment from the other day's MRI survey:

MRI reviews should be geared (or at least recommended to be focused) on the Marriott Reward Elite perception on treatment as an elite guest and could include such things as how responsive hotel management is to our particular needs, requirments, and meeting corporate elite guarantees. "General" hotel reviews on MRI can never compete with tripadvisor or many of the other "hotel review" sites. IMO, those sites are the "experts" at getting overall reviews; this site should skew to the Elite's perspective.

tjcnewyork Platinum

If you're saying that hotel reviews w/an Elite context are more meaningful to you on Insiders than general reviews on TripAdvisor or anywhere else, I understand.  This is especially true regards complimentary upgrades, concierge access, Elite perks and expected levels of service and problem resolution.

On the other hand, all guests expect a basic level of cleanliness, comfort, safety and security which general reviews at TripAdvisor tend to provide.  The factors that contribute are noteworthy.

First and foremost, TripAdvisor is public domain compared to Insiders which is members-only.  All of the content on TripAdvisor is searchable via Google, Yahoo or Bing.  Insiders' content is protected and invisible to the search engines.

TripAdvisor has reached a critical mass of reviews that is unsurpassed.  The vast majority of Marriott Rewards members are likely unaware that Insiders exists and unlikely to consider what benefit an Elite review of a hotel might even offer.

To your point, publishing a Do Not Stay List specifically geared towards Elite would be very compelling, IMO.  Protected w/in the Insiders firewall, Elite would be curious and probably join Insiders to get a copy (which could only be obtained here).  To find it via Google or Bing, Marriott could prepare a special landing page that the search engines can see.  That page would have links to register and sign-in.

Over time, some may feel comfortable enough to contribute and participate in vetting the list and criteria.   The same would hold true for a Must Stay List geared towards Elite.  I think that's really good feedback and relevant to what the MRI survey is hoping to find out.  Kudos, Pingreeman!

goalie Platinum

I use and trust Tripadvisor because it is easy and I don't think the answers are edited too much. As a very experienced reader and traveler, I can plow through the less experienced and completely jaded and come up with a reasonable expectation. Of all the features on tripadvisor, I get the most value out of the posted pictures! We all know how completely doctered the pictures of the rooms and properties are on hotel websites but I can see exactly what I need from the posted pictures.

Tripadvisor is so easy; I do appreciate Insiders but it is just way too hard to use. I can scan a dozen tripadvisor reports by the time I labor to even find my hotel or city on Insiders.

One question I would love to get an answer to is why is there so much variability in the evening receptions at Residence Inns? I am staying at one that only has a managers reception on Thursdays! I stayed at another in the same city 3 miles away and M-Th reception.

Here is my comment. If I am staying at a Residence, I generally plan on the reception, at leat M-Th. I seem not to be able to do that any more. I stayed at Embassy Suites two weeks ago and reception every night like clock work. They are the same every where I go. They are consistent and Residence isn't. Why the inconsistency. It is very annoying but also diminishes the perks of one brand. Any insights?

Goalie

genesavage Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree.  Love Marriott, however they are not perfect and this might help them acheive a greater level.

renaissanceman Platinum 2 Reviews

Excellent Idea. 

I spend a lot of nights in the Marriott Brands, Fairfield, Courtyard, Springhill across America.....and I do share with my peers the locations of those tired or less than acceptable hotels.  However, it might be nice to have a central location for DO NOT STAY information.

The same should be done for those outstanding and exceptional locations.   I would love to see a list of STAY HERE locations.  

geop47 Platinum 1 Reviews

One of the reasons I'd like to see this is that I am given a choice of 3 or 4 marriott properties in a certain area. Two are listed as courtyards, one is a real courtyard, the other is a courtyard in name only. These two are in Austin, TX, one is called the University something or other, I stayed there, I will not be going back, the heating system went from 70-90 and then back during the night. There is another courtyard slightly farther from my office but much nicer, I'll be staying there. This has happened to me multiple times and I'd love to be able to consult a list to know which are marriott quality and which are rebranded hotels. That said, I am very happy with the Marriott brand, the front desk teams are consistently helpful even though they are overworked from my estimation. Breakfast is hit or miss and please stop the renovations on the courtyards. I actually ask at this point if they're renovating, if they are, my business goes elsewhere until it's done. I dont need a flat screen to tell me the weather. So yes, would like to see a do not stay and MUST STAY list.

lchastai Member

I think both are good ideas - reward the places that are good, and notify people of the places that are belo par.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I have my own "do not stay" list.  One of the top things for me also is lack of enforcement of the no smoking policy.  Unfortunately, I had to stay in a banned hotel because the alternate had broken internet - lied about it just being since "last week" etc.

phil7108 Gold

It would be very interesting to see how they respond. I really would hope they embrace feedback, even if unfavorable.

robbid Gold

Wow - lots of blabber here - either do it or not.  Subjective or objective,  Trip Advisor has been doing this for some time and people use it as a research resource and then (I assume) apply their own thinking caps.  I read this topic expecting to find some information, not just everyone saying, - cool idea.  I personally have LOVED EVERY Marriott experiene I've had and was sure interested in hearing something to the contrary.  You guys have too much time on your hands.  Fish or cut bait.

mjm050 Platinum

I think it's especially beneficial if we make sure that we explain why our experience was below Marriott standards. There seems to be some but little attention paid by Marriott to Trip Advisor so here is a review I wrote back in December. The experience has changed my travel to Pittsburgh as a result and next visit I'm trying out a different Marriott product in the area.

contributed to Trip Advisor 12/9/10 .....

I've just completed my second four day stint in Pittsburgh in the last four weeks. Initially I booked this location because of its proximity to where I was doing business. The first indication of an issue should have been when people asked me where I was staying, I told them and they replied; "Why there of all places?"

The process to register is laborious. If you get there on an off night (read non-Penquin game night) you have to wait because the person at the desk is too busy chatting on their phone. If you come on a busy night, you stand in line because there is not enough desk help.

The room the first trip looked like the redecorating process stopped with the wallpaper since it was coming off the walls in a number of places. The curtains were disheveled and I tossed two towels out in the hallway that were still lying on the floor in the room as you walked in.

The second time (that's right I actually went back) they placed me next to the Presidential suite. What they failed to tell me is that there was a meeting going on (7pm on a Sunday evening) which was very loud. So I had to request to be moved. The room they sent me to had no towels but at least was clean. I got more towels from the housekeeping employee who was down the hall at the time.

If you feel like taking a shower that goes on and off pressure wise, then you'll love this hotel. That happened during both stays.

The concierge lounge needs some work. having traveled extensively I can tell you the food is sub par (read usually cold) and the service in the evening is nil. The woman shows up every once in a while, looks around and leaves. By the way if you are looking for coffee early evening you will not find it in the lounge which means you have to go down 20 floors to the restaurant and get some. I do want to mention that the service in the morning is much better although the food is still from from what you expect from them.

Parking here is not only an issue but ridiculous on nights when there is a sporting event in town. You pay $22 a night and then you have to drive up and down the floors hoping to find a spot when the Penguins are in town. If you find one, then you still have to lug your briefcase, etc. to get back to the hotel entrance. They tell me that the only way to best get around all this is to valet park.

During a sporting event, the place is a madhouse. The lobby becomes and extension of the arena across the street. The crowds are large and the noise levels are high. If you have had a long day you will have to get through the crowds and then stand for who knows how long to get an elevator.

Finally the lounge. I like to enjoy a cold one or a glass of wine with my meal and watch whatever the sporting event is on TV The staff was ok but again the food is subpar.

I could go on but it suffices to say my next visit to Pittsburgh will take me to another venue. Marriott is still my hotel of choice and people tell me the other locations in and around town are better. We'll see.

Stay away from this place unless you own a hockey jersey and a stick.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/WalkinOurShoes-1.jpg

"I could go on but it suffices to say my next visit to Pittsburgh will take me to another venue"

MJM,

Comprehensive review, thanks!  You really provided Insiders & TripAdvisor enthusiasts a sense of where the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center falls short of expectations and what it feels like to walk in guests shoes there. What a shame.

I attended a conference with 17,000+ people in 1992 and stayed at the Marriott Pittsburgh City Center on CL with my family.  I did not experience what you described and would have remembered peeling wallpaper and inoperable showers.  The stay was even more memorable because Bruce Willis was there and my children got his autograph and a snapshot.

Given the hotel's age, the Pittsburgh City Center should have undergone at least 3 refurbishments including softgoods every 5 years and hardgoods every 10.  Based upon the details in your post, that Marriott falls short on refurbishment by a significant margin.

My hunch is encountering the celebrity of your choice at the Pittsburgh City Center would not take away a stinging experience.

Best wishes for a stay that exceeds expectations of Marriott on the next trip.

sacerdos15 Gold 3 Reviews

I stay at only Marriott hotels and have for more than 30 years.I started out when the program was knows Marriott Maquis club.I would support a Do not Stay Listif it would be objective and a last resort.Once while staying overnight at a Marriott near national airport my room door would not open in the morning.My elderly mother and I were on our way to Florida and my mother was scared.A call to the deskdid not help but after repeated calls they did send up someone to verify that there was an actual problem.There was.They had to remove the door.There was no apology nor any type of compensation.Then there was the time ihad spent two weeks at the Hollywood Marriott (Fla.) and when I went to check out I noticed a charge of $350 ADDED to my bill.I asked what it was and was told it was the fee for having cancelled my reservation.I asked the person at the desk how in the world could I be chared that fee when I had been tere for two weeks and was about to pay a large bill for that stay.She went for her supervisor who noced the idiocy of the situation and apologized.                     On the other hand marriott does undo its mistakes.Once wnen I informed the desk of a late departure the desk said I could not.When I told him that my marriott rewards status gave me that privilege h stall said no.I then called Marriott and they told me to tell the desk that I did have that right.When I talked to the desk and said that I calledMarriott ,e became most cooperative.   Maybe the problem is that Marriott has become too big. I rember taking my mother to the Marco Island Marriott and hving awful service at one of there restuarants.The waitress spilled my mother's coffee and did not clean it up.She did several similar things and I refused to pay the automatic gratuity.I then filled out the comment card and later received an apology from Mr.Marriott himself informing me that the waitress in question had been fired.That is service!  I truly hope that despite their size they can rekindle that love of service to its customers especially its loyal members.

Robbid

well said!  also, welcome!

PostRJ Platinum

I absolutely agree with you.  Marriott corporate can view this for knowledge on where their problem children are.  I would nominate the Fairfield Inn in Rapid City, SD.  Horribly overpriced, property definitely needs refreshing and terrible staff training and management.  Probably the worst Marriott i've stayed at in the past year.  On the positive side, Fairfield Inn in Kearney, NE .. fantastic property, well laid out and outstanding service by the staff

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It makes me wonder how one finds old posts to add to.  I never saw this one before.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I agree, Cal.  They are hard to find, even when you know where to look.  There's just so much content and a search engine I'm not good at using (even though I use search engines all the time).

Where have you found others who put things like this?  I'll check around.

Meanwhile, I am really upset with the RI we've lived in for more than 2 1/2 years.  My husband is handicapped and has the handicapped parking sticker.  Tonight when he got here from work, a P/U from LA with military stickers and no handicapped stickers or plate was parked in the only spot available near our room that has 2 handicapped spaces and only 3 unmarked spaces.  The thought the person was a thoughtless person and was really upset.  He had gone to the store, so besides his computer, he had a couple of bags of groceries to carry the distance.  He's not really helpless, but he does go to work for the customer at 7:30 a.m. and ends his day at 4:30 pm at the earliest.

I called the front desk to complain and was told the GM had told the guests coming in to park anywhere they found a spot because the back lot was being worked on and nobody could park there.  He said that nobody could tell someone to break a state law, so I called back to tell the desk clerk that and she said (after talking to GM) that it was private property and the city couldn't ticket anyone there.

After 2 1/2 years, she knows my husband's work habits and his car.

I could go on with other problems we've had here that I haven't mentioned to anyone, but this is my complaint for now.

I have called CC.  They said they'd call the GM and get back with me, but that was about an hour ago.   

Location Brand Hotel
          pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

eb,

I don't think it matters that it's "private property."  There are ADA laws that they must comply with.  In fact, I'm sure that the only reason that the property (or any business for that matter) has gone to the expense of providing compliant handicap parking is because it is required by federal law.  Therefore, the parking space violation can be enforced.  I would think if the GM wouldn't help, all you'd have to do is contact the non-emergency number for local law enforcement and ask for a citation to be issued.  If the other guest at the property complains to the management about the $275 handicap parking violation fine (and you know with a hefty fine like that, they hotly will), that will give the GM something to think about for future reference.  Perhaps this GM has a thing or two to learn here.

Alabama code:  "Any person who parks in a space reserved for physically disabled persons and is not displaying distinguishing license plates or a card is guilty of an infraction and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars nor more than three hundred dollars."

Now, having been in law enforcement in some form or fashion for over 40 years, I suspect the real trick to this complaint is getting  your local law enforcement to come onto the private property and write the citation.  Good luck.

pluto77 and nuhusker,

Thank you both for your advice.

Next time, if it happens again, we'll just call the police (not 911). 

CC did get back with me and told me she would talk to the GM.  She later got with me again and said that it would be taken care of by morning.  (Big deal!!)  She said the military person chose to park there and shouldn't have so it was his fault regardless of what he was told.  I agree.

I asked CC for frustration points and she said that had to come from the property.  I asked why since CS had even given us 1000 points when the GM refused to give us our welcome gift of 200 points when our new reservation kicked in in Aug of this year.  I make them for several months at a time anyway.  She said she didn't know how to do that.  They had checked us out, sent a bill that morning, took off the check out time and date and just added to it some more without telling us what they did so we didn't know not to have to watch for it on the bill or in acct. summary.  They did raise the rate when they did that and then wound up pre-settling a week or so later.

They also didn't give us any extra points when I told them the housekeeper had put cornbread crumbs on my side of the bed when she changed sheets the a few days before we went on vacation.  I did tell them I didn't want her coming into my room again since I knew what to do since these types of things had happened before with housekeeping.

Location Brand Hotel
                pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Housekeeping PUT cornbread crumbs on your bed?  That's pretty wierd, eb.  I did hear a news piece (I think it might have even been on ABC world news) recently about how to get hotel upgrades (nothing to do with elite status or loyalty programs).  The bottom line is:  be really nice.  And show cash.  The flip side of the story was that it was pointed out that hotel employees actually tend to exact revenge on guests who they don't like as a result of some perceived undesirable behavior (intended or unintentional) on the part of the guest, by doing things, for example, like assigning a guest to a room that is known for a lot of noise, etc.  They actually did poll hotel employees about this.  Sounds amazing, but I think there may be some truth to it.

It is amazing that she thought she could get away with it, isn't it?

Showing cash -- it's on a company card anyway and the company pays the bills.  RI knows both companies that pay our bills, and besides, we have the 2 BR suite, which is the best they have.  It is a nice suite, even though cramped for someone living here, but the customer company won't commit to a long term so we can get an apt.

Short term here is pretty good.  It's familiarity that breeds contempt, and jealousy.  I was told by the first one that I didn't have to get out in all kinds of weather and walk up and down the stairs.  No.  But she's not 64, either, and I'm not 34.

Things like that happen a lot in restaurants, too.

A thumbtack in a chicken fried steak Mr. B ordered at IHOP when he insisted on getting the sales price that was advertised in Columbia, SC when we first moved to SC.  Never went back to that one again.  A toothpick in a chicken fried steak at Golden Corral that we were taking home, complete with lipstick on it.  Heard of lots of spitting into food.

Flip side -- saw a guy put a wet floor sign out in the rest room at the same Golden Corral.  After a long time, his girl friend stuck her head in and yelled that he needed help because he's slipped and fallen, dislocating his shoulder.  I told the waitress that the sign hadn't been out before.  She looked and saw that he was her ex-husband and said he was always trying to do things like that to sue because he'd dislocated his shoulder years before and could dislocate it easily.  She told the mgr. and the couple was escorted out.