28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 3:16 PM by kauairesident RSS

Shout out for Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Line

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Once again I need to recognize those fine folks who assist me on what seems to be a weekly basis with reservations and other issues related to my account.  In speaking with many of them I learned that the Platinum folks are also trained (apparently as a smaller group) to help Platinum Premiers.

I know that other posters have asked what the difference is between Platinum and Platinum Premier, and for a lot of people it seems there is none.  But, in my opinion the folks there who answer the phones get the best grades for customer service and are to be congratulated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Sacramento, California, USA
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
  • Re: Shout out for Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Line
    figment1 Platinum 8 Reviews

Just because I am a PP why should my phone service be any more professional than a first time user?  I can understand a faster response time not a less professional attitude.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Good point, all customer touch points should be professional.  My takeaway is that there are degrees colored by business knowledge and on-the-job experience.  The outcome?  Not only is the issue or problem called about - taken care of (resolved) - the conversation/interaction became an opportunity to engage the customer - so that it feels just as good to reach Silver or Gold as it does to reach Platinum or Platinum Premier.

Perhaps what I should have said was that these folks have been more involved with the intricacies and the problems that I frequently present them with.  They are indeed as professional as any of the other folsk with whom I have interacted at Marriott and Marriott Rewards but seem more attuned to my needs.

mleverone Platinum 8 Reviews

love the service, which i could get the call response time like that with my isp company.

tranquillo Platinum 8 Reviews

First time we are hearing about Platinum Premier.  My husband is Platinum.  Never knew there was a difference.

b8600b Platinum 8 Reviews

First let me say that I have always received great phone service at each level.

Is the Platinum Premier for those that spend a certain amount of nights at the JW brand? I'm drawing a blank on the difference and remember something about it.

Thanks for sharing

Platinum Premier (PP) is an Elite level reached by the top 2 to 3 percent of all Marriott Rewards members.  While the requirements must vary from year to year, in the past it has required a guest to make 125 or more nights per year for three consecutive years.  Renewal varies as well, but last year it was staying 100 nights or more to achieve Platinum Premier again.  As for benefits there is a PP membership card, a 20% discount at some Marriott restaurants (last year there was, but haven't gotten the new card this year), and a special reservation number.

This year I have noticed that the folks on the phone and in hotels make a special point of telling me how much they value my loyalty to Marriott, something that happened some of the time in the past.

Insider conversations over the years have mentioned the creation of a newer level, one that recognizes the most frequent of frequent stayers.  It began as a suggestion that it be called the Titanium Level and there was a flurry of suggestions as to what it might give the guest who reaches the pinnacle, the Everest of Marriott Rewards.  Thus far there remain only four levels of elite status in Marriott Rewards, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Platinum Premier.

kahunapremier Platinum

PP members were given a special number to handle everything (think one stop shop) and that discountinued in Dec, 2010. Management is determing if it is going to be a permament fixture.

MRewards sent out last year a 20% discount for food at full service Marriott as well as Golf discounts, along with a wallet.

The service is VERY good with the dedicated PP line that I called them more than I booked online, that is a FIRST for me, as typically I book everything online (easy to do, like the control, etc)

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Let's be glad that they have not sourced their call centers overseas.....at least the people we talk to know the place names and speak the language.  It is far easier and quicker to deal with them..

Call me crazy but I dialed that Platinum Premier phone number three times this year and got a PP rep.  Was there an official notification that the number was discontinued?  I must have missed it.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

They always answer and help me when I call!

They are the best!

justsometricks Silver 60 Reviews

I do agree with what you said, but also have never got a bad phone rep either.....They are all nice and sweet!

mi97tbird Platinum 33 Reviews

They have always been very good to me. Agree should be the same for all levels.

kayjbee Platinum

I think the major concern here would be, why do you need to call with so many different issues? I understand help making a reservation, but for you to have to call on a almost weekly basis, is seems excessive. Could improvements to the web page correct some of your issues? Is the reservation process too hard to figure out or are you too finicky and need special handling?

tjcnewyork Platinum

Excellent question.  While Stepping Stones can and undoubtedly will respond, speaking for myself, the powers-that-be at Marriott.com changed the online reservations process about a year ago and eliminated the handy 'Comments' section.  This change did not go unnoticed and many Insiders remarked about the change here, on FlyerTalk and elsewhere.   Subsequently, only Elite reps have access to the 'Comments' screen.

So, every time one makes a reservation online, you have to follow-up to have the PP Elite rep enter special requests such as comp upgrade, or early check-in or minifridge or whatever it might be beyond the default options available in one's account/profile.

Although unpublished, Platinum Premier 2010 benefits included a 20% food & beverage discount at 'participating' Marriott, JW Marriott and Renaissance Hotel restaurants.  (2011 PP collateral is pending)  So, calling to check in advance whether a hotel 'participates' or not facilitates planning and avoids embarassment.

To that point, it behooves Marriott to publish a list of so-called participating Marriott, JW Marriott and Renaissance Hotel restaurants that honor the Platinum Premier discount and make it available to the reps at the Platinum Premier line.  On average, such calls to verify participation can take up to 10 to 15 minutes because the rep has to call the hotel directly.

biglee Platinum

This seems appropriate for Marriott to do this.  As a travel becomes more experienced the questions asked can be more complicated. If you have a silver or gold than the individual you’re speaking to should have knowledge up to that level. Once you have achieved Platinum Premier then you probably will know most of what is asked at the silver and gold level.

I also think it is good for a company to recognize and reward its best customers. That can be a goal from both sides, get people to want to move up in the program by spending more nights and people trying to achieve a goal  like “Platinum Premier”.  If you treat your worst customer as your best, I my opinion you are wasting the companies resources.  

Kept in mind this is a loyalty program, not a hotel quality management system.  Procedures are in place to provide a consistent level of hospitality to all customers within the chain.

servicematters Platinum

I have been incredibly disappointed with my experience using the Platinum Premier phone line.  In fact, after receiving my platinum lifetime and platinum premier, I am starting to wonder why all the effort, why the loyalty.  There are no distinguishable benefits to getting the "premier" status and the promises of "platinum overrides" and "late check outs" have never materialized for me when needed most.  Tonight I approached the front desk to ask for a late check out tomorrow.  The response I got was "I could let you stay until 1:00 without an extra charge".  I indicated I was a platinum premier and she told me that was the reason she gave me until 1:00 instead of noon.  WOW!  I guess I should be impressed.  The fact that they are asking me to check out and come back in two days (the hotel is apparently sold out and there was no possibility of an override), makes me wonder what value there is in any Marriott status.  I called the PP line only to be told what the website indicates (as if I can't look that up myself) and then after asking that they call the property to see if there is any chance I could stay one more night, they indicated the property is not able to honor any platinum request for override.  WORTHLESS!!  What is the benefit of an override promise if they only come back to say that is used when the hotel has rooms.  REALLY?!  So very disappointed with Marriott.  After 20 years of loyalty, it might be time to change brands.  After all, with lifetime platinum, I have nothing to gain by staying.  And I can get rejection and poor service from other brands just as well.   

Some things can change but the selling out of a hotel is not one of them, sadly

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Maybe so, but you would think that a Platinum Premiere/ Lifetime Platinum member would be treated better than this!!!

I agree but the rules rule in this case.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

for whatever it's worth, this past weekend we were in st louis for my daughters wedding shower.  we had 3 rooms at the Ritz.  I called to ask for a late check out (since I didn't need to attend the shower), the response was "4:00 pm is the best we can do".........   I LOVE the Ritz!

as well you should!  Congratulations on that forthcoming wedding too

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman, interesting timing -- this past weekend my wife attended our daughter's wedding shower in Raleigh.  She stayed at the downtown marriott and due to a late flight on sunday was able to get a late checkout also.  Don't remember the time.  But I stayed home...80 degrees on Sat and I was playing golf and watching the BB tournament.

Shoeman/nuhusker,

My wife and I will be attending a friends daughter's wedding in Washington, DC on 12 May 2012. Seems like May 12 is a very popular wedding date as we were also invited to a friends daughter's wedding in Houston, Texas the same day. So we were forced to choose one over the other!!!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Good deal jasper100.  I personally like DC better than Houston.  Our son was married in DC a couple of years ago at the ST Regis.  Great place for wedding and the party.

Actually, the wedding is taking place in Leesburgh, Virginia near Washington, D.C.  I will spend some extra time in DC since this is a nice time of the year to visit!!!

kauairesident Platinum 1 Reviews

Last time I had reason to call vs web site I was given a name and a specific extension.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...