5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2011 1:01 PM by kayjbee RSS

New Platinum member experiences - not so good so far

jeff30189 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Rewards member for 15+ years, Gold in a few prior years, newly minted Platinum for 2011.

Made two 2-night stays in late December at the downtown Toronto CY and in neither instance was I able to get an upgrade to a suite, and in one instance I had to have had the smallest room in the building.  I had better luck when I was a Gold at this location - almost routinely upgraded to a junior suite.

Paid for one stay (partially) with a Marriott $200 voucher given to me by Delta, with the balance on my Marriott Rewards VISA.  The second stay was entirely on the VISA.  Since both stays were booked directly through the Marriott website, shouldn't they meet the criteria of the MegaBonus offer (two stays = 1 free night)?

Nothing has shown up in my account, and when I emailed to request the correction I was curtly told that I need to send in proof in the form of a checkout receipt.  Can't they just get that directly from the hotel once I furnish them specific dates?

Seems that the level of customer service so far is severely lacking.  If this is the standard applied to Platinums, I'm sticking with Starwood for 2011 and beyond.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • Re: New Platinum member experiences - not so good so far
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This is too bad.  I assume that every Marriott Rewards member deserves recognition but none moreso than the Platinum Elite members.  Have you followed up with either customer care or Marriott Rewards?

A chat with them can sometimes fix the problem.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Jeff,

Speaking just of the posting of points, I have this problem regularly (and am currently waiting for my Boston points).  When my Cairo points did not show up in a reasonable amount of time in December (plus it showed that I had stayed there for 0 nights!)  I called the Platinum line and got the same result as you did, which I have many times before.

This time, since I don't have easy access to a fax this year, I asked the agent to contact the hotel directly.  After a slight hesitation, she did so and the points were there the next day. I think sometimes there needs to be a little pushback -- after all they should have easy access to this information.

ProfChiara

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

Also this fax only access is a nonsence - they should accept scanned e-mailed documents (or indeed e-folios directly!)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Good thoughts professor.

My style is to keep a file folder on my laptop in which I save electronically all of my e-folios.  Then, when there is an issue, I forward an electronic copy of the e-folio to the MR rep --- I find that a quick way to both document the problem and get it resolved.  Also, really no effort by the MR rep, not even a phone call!

Happy Trails!

kayjbee Platinum

There are several key issues that were not included in your comments. When did you make the reservation? Was the date that you made the reservation close to the date you acually stayed? Late December is in the middle of highest yearly travel. You can get an upgrade if one is availible, was one availible?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...