14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2011 12:29 AM by tlwelite RSS

Beware at Courtyard Marriott Greenbelt MD

abc123 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

This hotel doesn’t accommodate guests with late checkout. They first refused such an arrangement even though they were not fully booked for the next day. Then, they reluctantly stated that they charged half day for allowing checkout at 3pm and full day for checkout at 5pm. This is contrary to other Marriott’s where they generally allow checkout at 5pm for a half day.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
  • Re: Beware at Courtyard Marriott Greenbelt MD
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Did you speak with the manager on this? Seems that a stated policy is a stated policy.  I would recommend an email or a phone call to the GM to get his or her take on this issue. Post and tell us what happens, if you can.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

abc123 Silver 8 Reviews

are you saying that each Marriott has it own stated policy (i.e., each has different policy on the same subject matter)?  BTW, the mgr was not available when we're there.  Clearly, I won't go back to this Marriott and recommend no one to go to this Marriott.

andydai Platinum 1 Reviews

do you have a status?  I think they are flexible for guests with status.

abc123 Silver 1 Reviews

I do and they don't care.  They don't treat their guests the same way as other Marriott's.  Stay away from them!

tjcnewyork Platinum

To the contrary, in my experience the Courtyard Greenbelt honors the standard policy, quoting Marriott Rewards T&C, "Priority Late Checkout: Simply call the front desk the morning of checkout and let them know your planned departure time. Available at all Marriott brand hotels except Marriott Vacation Club." Never had an issue, but then hotels regard late checkout no later than 2 pm as reasonable, IMHO.

From an operations perspective, late checkouts can negatively impact housekeeping.  There's a domino effect.  Housekeeping may not be able to turn around a large number of late checkouts which impacts the next round of guests.  From that perspective, it would be understandable why a 5 pm request would be challenging.  There's more discussion on FlyerTalk, worth a look.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

abc123 - not sure which hotel chain you've used in the past that accomodated a 5pm checkout, but in my experience with Marriott such a request is not reasonable.  1pm, no problem, even 2pm probably no problem.  But 5pm...come on, reasonableness works both ways.

tjcnewyork Platinum

To that point, scanning through more than a hundred e-mail confirmations, the standard check-in for Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Springhill and Towneplace is 3 pm.  The standard check-in for full service Marriott hotels, resorts, vacation clubs and Ritz-Carlton is 4 pm.

Factoring the check-in expectations of hundreds of thousands of guests (including my own), and Marriott's capability to consistently deliver upon my requests for early check-in, the policy of providing Elite with Priority Late Checkout to 12 noon, 1 pm or 2 pm heightens my satisfaction and increases awareness of the balancing act that each property must perform.  Kudos, Marriott!

abc123 Silver

other Marriotts charge half day so that the guest can stay until 5pm.  To me, this half day charge is reasonable.  But Courtyard Marriott Greenbelt MD charges a full day for the guest who wants to have a late check out at 5pm.  I think the full day charge is not reasonable.

abc123 Silver

Let's be reasonable.  Other Marriotts charge half day so that the guest can stay until 5pm.  To me, this half day charge is reasonable.  But Courtyard Marriott Greenbelt MD charges a full day for the guest who wants to have a late check out at 5pm.  I think the full day charge is not reasonable.

abc123 Silver

You should read the posting carefully!  I sure understand what you are talking about but this hotel was not fully booked.  The point here is that they charge their guests for late check out at 5 for a full day rather than other Marriotts which charge half day.  I'm not expecting a free ride to stay until 5.  Come on and be realistic!!!

wandra Silver

As I truly understand your frustrations, is it truly and unreasonable expectation to be charged a full day for a 5pm check-out? If you think about it, as a whole and take in to consideration that you are keeping the hotel from cleaning and re-booking the room for that day, they must consider your check-out as a full day booking because they can not book that room to anyone else.

As I do not know the full details, having done a lot of business travel, I have a room preference which means that if the room you are holding until 5pm is my preference than the hotel can not assign that room to me.  They therefore loose the revenue that would have been gained and I end up with a room that is not of my liking (althought accommondating).  As one person has pointed out there are trickle down affects which the hotel must take into account.

Just something to think about.  I'm sure it doesn't change you mind about the hotel but there is a bigger picture.

abc123 Silver

I certainly appreciate your BIG picture.  It sounds very convincing.  But the facts of the matter are:

1. on the same day, Marriott at UM, just 5 mins away offered a half day charge for late check out at 5.

2. other Marriotts i stayed in the region also offered a half day charge for late check out at 5.

So for all readers...beware, you can get a much better accommodation at the other Marriotts.  To be clear, i still think Marriott is a very nice hotel.  They are still my preferred hotel but just not this one at Greenbelt.

lymphadvocate Silver

Other than checkout time inflexibility, how would you rate this facility? I am considering it on an upcoming trip because of its convenience to both Washington and Baltimore.

tlwelite Platinum

platinum premier; regularly ask for 3pm checkout at all marriotts; never been refused.  sometimes a hesitation but i always insist and am accommodated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...