20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2011 7:33 PM by ankingspeech RSS

Rollover Nights Have a one year life beyond the year earned

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just got confirmation from Marriott Rewards that rollover nights do not carry over into a third year--that is, nights rolled over from calendar year 2009 were added to the 2010 total EQNs, but are not carried over as an EQN Balance in 2011, the third year. In essence they are a one year benefit that carries over to a second year, not a third.

Thus, if  you earned 150 nights in 2009 (when rollovers began) you rolled over 75 nights as your beginning balance in 2010. (75 over the 75 night Platinum Elite requirement). In 2010 when you added to your EQN balance with new stays, you could only rollover those new nights that are in excess of your elite status qualification levels. (e.g., over 75 for a Platinum Elite member. etc.)

So, the 75 rollover nights from 2009 automatically renewed your Platinum status, but cannot be combined for EQNs earned in 2011 since the 2009 rollovers disappeared on December 31, 2010.

Bottom line is that only nights earned in 2010 in excess of your elite qualification level can be carried over to 2011.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover Nights Have a one year life beyond the year earned
    drjanssen Gold 8 Reviews

That explains what I saw when I looked up my account and also confirms that I made a mistake last year.   We ended up 2 nights away from Gold after canceling a trip.   I thought I would carry over all of the nights in excess of the silver level and would only have to add 12 to get to Gold this year.  That would have been easy and I thought that would be better because we would be Gold for a longer time if we got there in the middle of the year.  But not so.   My rollover nights are much lower.  Should have found a way to get there last year because no way I will get all the way back up to that point this year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hsjohar Platinum 8 Reviews

so what is the benefi of Rollover nights and to who?

andydai Platinum 1 Reviews

i think the only the benefit is you can earn a higher status quicker this year and, after you reach it, get bonus points within this year.  i can't think of any other benefit.

but, it is better than hilton which offers no rollover at all.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

My take on this is that for those of us who gave back extra nights all those years (once we made an Elite level, such as Platinum), this is a cushion for a lean year, when, due to the economy or whatever, stays drop below the 75 night mark.

It is fairly unique in the hotel business and seems to work for a lot of folks who travel constantly.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Interestingly, rollover discussion has surfaced at the Timeshare Users Group.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

The bottom line of this discussion is that rollover nights are not really rollover nights, unless you achieve a status (counting rollover nights) that is exacting in the number of mights credited to achieve that status.

In other words.....25 rollover nights, 50 nights stayed reaches Platinum status. After Platinum is reached, there is no credit given for any further nights stayed until one SURPASSES the amount of rollover nights they had from the previous year. If you stay 100 nights, you will have ZERO rollover nights for that year to be forward credited.

A better way to express the program is that all rollover nights in excess of any elite level achieved means no further nights will be credited to you until Marriott recoups the rollover nights credited to your account from the previous year. What kind of program is that?

So, the rollover program was not explained as intended or has been changed during the flow. It will anger some folks and is just the type of mis-information that clouds loyalty.

I have expressed many times on this forum my loyalty to the brand will remain until they begin to tell me not to be loyal. This unfortunate change status with no communication as to the reality of the program is one of those moments that will  test loyalty.

pointsrmylife Platinum 8 Reviews

In my business,if you do not communicate a change to a policy or try and state that a program was never meant to be the way most to all participants understood it to be,you could be accused of bait and switch tactics.

I had 140 nights deducted from my end total in 2010-the "rollover " from 2009 and the 75 to maintain the platinum level.The agent ( and she was very professional and very apologetic) stated "we have a new system for calculating rollovers and this is how the program will be going forward."

Well, this is how it is going to be for me going forward.

Hello Hilton

Hello Wyndam

Good Bye Marriott Marketing geniuses.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good Afternoon, all.

I just wanted to share with all of you a message we had recently posted on the FlyerTalk discussion surrounding this - the message below had been posted by a representative from Marriott Rewards Customer Care.

Greetings,

As promised earlier I am responding to this thread. When we posted stating that roll over nights from the previous years would roll over we were acting on the information we had at the time. The decision has recently been made not to count roll over nights from previous years. What this means is that to determine the number of nights that should have rolled over you will take the total number of nights you accrued in 2010, subtract the amount of nights that rolled over from 2009, and then subtract the number of nights needed for your status. What is left will roll over.

I understand that many of you feel betrayed by this decision especially based on what we said earlier. If you made stays counting on those nights rolling over, please contact me with your account number and I will make sure that your roll over nights from 2009 are added just as you expected and just as we promised they would. Those of you who have already contacted me do not need to send another request I will start on those first. This is a manual process and based on the number of request I anticipate receiving I anticipate it may take a couple of weeks to get them all completed.

For those of you that would like to get in contact with Customer Care regarding this issue via Insiders, please send me a private message and I will be sure to have it sent immediately to the appropriate Customer Care personnel.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Regards,

Andrew

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

Andrew:

This is indeed unfelicitious news.  How does one contact you? 

andydai Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi Andrew,.(removed)..... Thanks!

(from Marriott: Thank you for providing me the appropriate information, but please refrain from putting your personal account information for all the public to see! I have taken down the appropriate information, but for future reference, please send me a private message. Thank you.)

-- Edited by Marriott at Jan 12, 2011 6:31 AM PST

tjcnewyork Platinum

Andydai - I believe Andrew instructs that we send a PM or Private Message with Marriott Rewards account information.   This is to protect the member's privacy and prevent breaches of confidentiality.  Posting an account # on Insiders for all to see increases risk.  Consider editing the message or deleting.  Regards.

tjcnewyork Platinum

All:

To protect your privacy and prevent unauthorized viewing of your Marriott Rewards account, do not post your Marriott Rewards ID online at Insiders.  If you have done so, Edit or Delete the post.

To contact Andrew by Private Message, click Marriott (above the avatar).  The Marriott member profile displays.  On the right side of the member profile, click Send a message to Insider

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/SendaPM-1.jpg

Hope this graphic helps.  Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

TJCNewYork

Alumnus, Insider Ambassador

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for this info & help.

gllobalwizzo Platinum 2 Reviews

Guess I'm starting to understand what happened.  I rolled over 20 something nights at the end of 2009.  At the end of 2010, I had 205 nights and this year it shows 53 rollover nights.  I had understood this program was total rollovers and figured I'd roll over platinium for a couple of years.  Not so.

Doesn't really make a lot of difference for me, but sooner or later I'm going to miss one of these targets as the travel slows.  Be nice to be able to just bank the extra nights until that happens.

I'm sure  the rollover nights made a difference for a lot of folks.

Happy New Year.

GW

floridatravels Platinum 9 Reviews

thanks for the clarification and it sure bets any other hotel program.  as i have stated before everyone will not be satisfied but as a very frequent traveler i am pleased with my rollover nights.  this week i am stuck in a ALoft and not very happy with the noise level, no breakfast, bed. cant wait to stay at marriott property next week!!  thanks for the rollover nights- it works well for me!!

• Come on, Andrew ....
    cloudman Platinum

You, and Marriott, are in an untenable position.

Just what, exactly in hard present value dollars will it really, really cost Marriott to smell the coffee and retreat from the rejigger?  A "free" Platinum upgrade ever so often to an ADA room with an elevated spa-tub and an old model TV is not real dollars uncollected, my friend.

Folks that are complaining right now (and note: these are not one-shot, low ball brown bag travelers) do NOT have the time to enjoy the freeby of the Concierge Lounge (or that spa-tub room), when arriving at the hotel at 1100pm, arising at 430am and chugging down the line to the next Platinum "upgrade" room, times 4 or 5 nights every week most every month, year in, year out.  Do you really 'think' you know what your guests do: we are not travel writers on a Roman Holiday.

Would it surprise Marriott to learn that it is all about the "points total" that is used to take a vacation from work and the road only to go stay in a hotel room for free. Sounds kind of silly, but guess what?  That's what many redeemed points are used for.

And note, I sure would appreciate it if you didn't start quitely tinkering with that, too.   Sure, your properties are swell, even very nice, but your average Platinum traveler has a nicer home that is preferable to spend a night in every once in a while.

As a point of sanity-checking: Delta Airlines 'always' rolls over continuously MQMs- the equivalent of Platinum room nights.  Those accrue to maintaining higher status year end and year out.  Just saying ....

So the question begging a good answer, is what do continuous roll over nights really cost Marriott, and remember: lots of us are accountants and leaders and ad hoc travel experts, so be honest.  :)

Finally, I feel no better for having taken this time to argue your penny ante decision may cost dollars, over time, to Marriott.

Thanks for listening, Andrew.

keepontravelen Platinum

I am still confused on contacting Andrew.  I would like to submit my personal information for review on "rollover nights".

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I wanted to pass along the result of my email to Andrew/Marriott regarding what I believed were nights that should have been rolled over from 2010 to 2011.

Good Afternoon,

The Customer Care team wanted me to pass this message along to you. Thanks again!

Mr. NUHUSKER,

We will be adding XX nights to your rollover total. Because this is a manual process this may take up to two weeks to post to your account.

Now that's customer service!  Nice job, Marriott Team.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good Afternoon, cloudman.

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback. We are listening to your concerns and the concerns of many members, and the Marriott Rewards Guest Services team has been working directly with members to address individual requests.  In order to assist them in these efforts, as noted in my previous post, I can facilitate your request for rollover nights.  Please private message me with your Marriott Rewards number and I will ensure they follow up with you.

We always appreciate your candid input.  Thank you.

Regards,

Andrew

ankingspeech Silver

how do I contact you? The explanation below doesn't work

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...