3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2011 2:18 AM by techie RSS

Sometimes being cordial works.. no squeaky wheel here.

tuacamike Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently spent Christmas in Phoenix and staye at the Camelback Courtyard.

The trip did not start out well when the lady at the reception told me that their power had been out for a couple of hours and that the power would not be on for at least another four hours because of a transformer blowout. It was 2 pm and most people were out and about, with few in their rooms.

She offered to find me a place to stay, but I told her I was fine, I would relax in the lobby and wait it out.  I listened to her as other customers complained or asked for upgrades because of the inconvenience.  Some chose to look at other hotels.

I commented on how unrealistic  and petty some people were about the cirucmstances.  I laid by the pool for a while, but then asked to be let into a room for the purpose of resting.  She got me a room and the whole time was apologizing for the power outage.  My response " I survived two weeks without power at Katrina, I'll be fine"

Luckily for the other customer, the power came back on a few hours earlier.

Christmas morning was the next morning, and after eating breakfast, I was informed that breakfast was free for everyone due to the inconvenience. I tipped 50% of the bill for his service.  It was Christmas Day :)

The whole time of the power outage, the employee was telling me that she was going to ask her manager to give me 5000 points for just being so understanding.  I told her it was not necessary, but if I did get them t they would be appreciated. Sure enough.. the gifted me the extra 5,000.

This Courtyard may not be as fancy as the Ritz-Carlton down the street where my friends stayed, but It was much easier to deal with and it was quiet.  I also did not have to pay the $55 for the Christmas breakfast buffet that the Ritz-Carlton offered... If you had a reservation.

Sometimes the non-squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I would recommend the Camelback Courtyard to everyone.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
  • Re: Sometimes being cordial works.. no squeaky wheel here.
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

What a great post and thanks for reminding us that the way to accomplish anything is to be as considerate as you can.  People who always try to make something happen when they are inconvenienced are sometimes successful but often not. I think that the best way to deal with any service provider is fairly and with respect.

Your experience confirms that we get where we're going with kindness and respect,so thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks for sharing this experience with us!

I am headed to Scottsdale the end of January and this is a consideration for an alternative hotel.

You are so right to be "More than fair" in an adverse situation.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

That was a very nice post. Certainly, the employees of the hotel have a rough time when things like power outages happen.  You're absolutely right...be a part of the solution, not the problem.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...